Small clip of yesterday's crane job.

pctree

That was a cool crane! You guys need Sena comms they are invaluable for crane work. That whole operation must have cost a pretty penny.

Good job

Treespotter

I know. We talked about comms but still not convinced that forking out that kind of cash is the right thing to do.
For the customer this was the most cost effective way to take that tree out of the small confined space. In and out took us 3,5 hours. Crane operator, Rick and me dismantling the tree and Coen and Loek chipping and loading the logs. When we would have opted for roping down the tree we would have to do it in stupid small pieces because of the space in the small garden full of shrubs and buildings. After that we would have to remove it from the garden through the house... I don't even want to think about the hours it would take to get that tree out.

Wolter

ROYCE

Was the two climbers for training? If I remember correctly your not a large company....just you and one other employee and you sub out as needed, is that correct? So, this might not pertain to you but....with crane work and anytime your use large equipment their are costs that are associated with them. Those costs add up drastically over the course of the year...5 years...10 years...30 years...etc!!
If a crane is being billed out at 200 an hour and you can shave off 1 hr an day with better production, and you use a crane say....3 times a week. That equates to a savings of 600 a week. Now multiply that by 52 weeks a year...31,200 dollars. The head set communications will increase your productivity. So lets me ask you..How can you NOT afford to purchase the communication devises? They are handy on all levels. "If you watch the pennies, the dollars take care of themselves"
In my organization I am always looking at ways to shave off 15 mins here, and 15 mins their. It all adds up at the end of the year and as your business grows you will be amazed at how much it adds us to.

Treespotter

Hello Royce, My company is even smaller. I don't have any employees. All my mates are self employed. We don't do crane jobs that often. Only a couple of times a year. I make a good living doing what we do but I'm not self employed to sheave off those minutes.
We don't do our stuff billing by the hour. We tell the customer what the total job costs. A radio isn't needed every day, maybe not even every month. During pruning we use handsaws and battery saws.
I know for sure that the battery of a comm system would be dead when we actually needed it.

Wolter

allmark

Looks like it was a nice set up. My only criticism is your TIP
The hook with a non locking latch shouldn't be used to tie in to. I also don't like to tie in to other rigging gear. A separate ring in a locking hook is preferred. If you are limited to what the crane has as I think was the case here you should bring your own set up to tie in above the down haul weight. I have attached a picture.

Attachments

96coal449

What Royce is getting at is, you can shave time off the crane rental. Every bit of time you can add up saved on crane rental will add up over the year.

allmark

The head sets are valuable for jobs outside crane work too.. being able to communicate with ground personnel and even talking with climbers pruning in another tree.. pointing out cuts that need to be made as you look at the tree they are in or visa versa.

Treespotter

Looks like it was a nice set up. My only criticism is your TIP
The hook with a non locking latch shouldn't be used to tie in to. I also don't like to tie in to other rigging gear. A separate ring in a locking hook is preferred. If you are limited to what the crane has as I think was the case here you should bring your own set up to tie in above the down haul weight. I have attached a picture.
Your right. The non locking hook is wrong. Our cranes don't have a ball. The cable isn't fixed but runs through 'a pulley'. In that setup we aren't able to secure our big ring.
Sometimes we rent a crane that is in use in treework more often. On that hook we have an extra point where we can secure the ring in which we install our climbing gear.

Wolter

96coal449

Why doesn't your cranes there have a ball or haul down weight? That hook can't be heavy enough by itself to drag the cable out. You can install a shackle on the cable, above the weight, for your tie in method.

allmark

Why doesn't your cranes there have a ball or haul down weight? That hook can't be heavy enough by itself to drag the cable out. You can install a shackle on the cable, above the weight, for your tie in method.

It doesn't have a down haul weight. It has a block which 2 parts the load line. Both parts of the line move so a shackle can't be placed above it. I attached a pic with the block circled

Attachments

96coal449

Ahh. My mistake. Was thinking it was one line and no block. I completely understand. Now I realize the "hook with the extra tie in point." When I first started doing crane work 15yrs ago, the hook was my TIP. Be careful and be safe.

deevo

Here's our setup on my crane guys grove 110 ton. There are 2 round cross members I guess you can call them where we have our friction saver shackled too, kinda hard to see in the picture but it's there away from any moving cable

He was in between setting large air conditioning units on a mall roof so wasn't going to switch back to the normal headache ball. Try that next time, only use your lanyard as a backup on the actual hook part going up.
We were doing 80' ash trees in one shot on this job, no cleanup, lay em down on the front lawn and carry on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

squad143

Comms are invaluable. Especially with crane work.

Devon... When did you get the Protos?
What the hell is that white stuff on the ground????o_O
Glad to see you switched to the creamsicle saws.:risas:

deevo

I'd sure hate to drag that big ball through limbs.
Last fall Chuck, no worries on that we were doing whole trees with a long round eye sling so weren't any issues, like I said earlier he had that big block on for lifting heavy objects and squeezed this job in between that one. Don't normally do tree work with that.