Show off them splices

TimBr

Right right.. like trying your first with Tachyon.. I personally think the best advice for a first time splicer is a soft fid or anything tube like that is thin, slick, flexible & will finger trap around a core when pulled.
I had the hardest time with splicing until i used one, after that, 90% of cordage we climb on is a piece of cake & most troubles I've read about here could be solved with one vs hogging out more material/strands..
I just felt like quoting this post because I find it to be such a powerful statement. I'd like to see it preserved for others in the future. Thanks again for making it.

Tim

Joeybagodonuts

Hey, @Joeybagodonuts! Thanks for foot stomping the expandable sleeving by mentioning it a second time. I think I failed to take proper notice of your comment the first time through. I'm going to leave a link below to a results page for the stuff on Amazon, in case anyone else reading this thread would like to be able to easily obtain some.

I was wondering about what you said earlier about "making your own", whether or not you use the expandable sleeving to do so, or if you use something else? If you do use the expandable sleeving, I was also wondering if you keep an assortment of sizes on hand, or if there is one particular size that seems to work pretty well for most of what you do? Apologies if I'm being a pest with this stuff, but you seem to have found the "Holy Grail" with regard to easing the troubles of most beginning splicers, and I appreciate being able to learn from you. Thanks again.

Tim

I know for a fact ive used 1/2" for for some rigging tools. However i believe the one i personally find myself using most commonly is, 1/4".. Yeah.. I'm pretty sure that's it, as it looks way to big to be the next size down..

So.. one thing i think i should also make clear (but most probably already know this), is you still need a strong anchor to tie it off to.. Yes, I've used it without one before & had ok results with looser brands of cordage, but to really take advantage, a strong anchor to tie off to is still a recommended part of the process. As well as smart tapers before your final buries.

What i also like about it is it's tuff as hell. It's taken some pretty good weight without breaking. It will also bounce back into shape after being knotted & has this sort of resistance to becoming kinked forever or turning into a knife knot when loaded.

Joeybagodonuts

Question.. is splicing Safeblocs & Notch Triple Thimbles still a no go with T-Rex? I swear i still see people splicing these items with it over at insta-arbs & never hear anyone pipe up about it in the comments.. it's just the typical clapping seal positive commentary..

Regarding the TT, I never really heard a direct no-go about the combination from anyone, just kinda applied the same logic because if it's somewhat similar design.

I got a SB kicking around in my truck & really want to put it to use, the problem is, is i have an over abundance of Trex kicking around.

Samsquanch

I have done a couple of Tachyon splices and follow the Teufelberger instructions. Third core strands aren't entirely removed just tapered at a different spot. I have no idea how it would affect the splice to remove them but am curious to hear what more experienced splicers think about it!
I do know its one tight splice!!! :LOL:
I've done a few tachyon splices and i prefer to leave the extra core strands in the splice fully, tapering them along with the core. I leave them in as having strands somewhat floating in the rope just doesn't sit right with me and I'd prefer to have all cordage "locked" at the zero point being the splice. I have no other justification for leaving them in the splice other than that. I havent found them to make the splice any more difficult.

RyTheTreeGuy

Genuinely addicted to this stuff.
View attachment 62234
Very nice work. I have spliced up a friction saver with OP and found it to be nice to work with...especially since having spliced 10 mm reep schnur. Looking forward to starting a mid line attachable canopy anchor that @MikePowers321 posted up or as @swingwould say a "MACA." would anyone be able to provide me with the sizes of Delta links used? Thanks:birra:

SeanRuel

Another sage tip from nick regarding tight splices; water based "personal lubricant" works really well as rope splice lube too!

Samsquanch

Your work is really beautiful Samsquanch. Do you hire out to do slicing work?
I dont yet. I mainly do it for my own equipment, co workers equipment and sometimes just because i enjoy it.

I may speak to a local shop to see if they need a splicer though.

Heres a quick rope guide i made for a co worker. He chose the cordage....which he is no longer allowed to do, was a pita to work with.
IMG-20190912-WA0002.jpeg

Joeybagodonuts

First time splicing ocean and I'm solidly addicted
View attachment 62208
Oh word.. looking good Samsquanch.. those tapes look very smooth.. I've always liked splicing ocean.. i find it really easy with that "Nick" method..

I had a USaver spliced up with it, but i unfortunately destroyed one of the eyes by getting it stuck on a carless retrieval & then having a temper tantrum with the throwline trying to fish it out from above.. (one of "climbing arborist" tricks").. I managed to wear a slice right through the poly & partially through the technora by running the line over & over & over it, while stuck.. don't even try to picture the situation.. you'll end up pruning your dendrites over the stupidness.. Totally should have known better on all accounts.. I was just being a straight up hack..

On another note, i had asked about T-rex, the Triple Thimble & Safebloc.. I can't see right now if anyone replied, but TS still has the normal disclaimer on both product pages.. I had just never seen the disclaimer in person on the 3Triple... Total Bummer.. I really don't want to buy more 3/4" 12 stand.. Got 50ft sitting right in front of me as i type this.. dangit!

Anyone know where i can get Orange 3/4?

Also, should i just do a dead eye on the Triple? What y'all think/like for this specific device? An Ultra really is so simplistic.. But dead eye can be somewhat midline.. "moveable"....

How about a R&R style like Theatretech is using? Damn.. so many good options..

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Oh word.. looking good Samsquanch.. those tapes look very smooth.. I've always liked splicing ocean.. i find it really easy with that "Nick" method..

I had a USaver spliced up with it, but i unfortunately destroyed one of the eyes by getting it stuck on a carless retrieval & then having a temper tantrum with the throwline trying to fish it out from above.. (one of "climbing arborist" tricks").. I managed to wear a slice right through the poly & partially through the technora by running the line over & over & over it, while stuck.. don't even try to picture the situation.. you'll end up pruning your dendrites over the stupidness.. Totally should have known better on all accounts.. I was just being a straight up hack..

On another note, i had asked about T-rex, the Triple Thimble & Safebloc.. I can't see right now if anyone replied, but TS still has the normal disclaimer on both product pages.. I had just never seen the disclaimer in person on the 3Triple... Total Bummer.. I really don't want to buy more 3/4" 12 stand.. Got 50ft sitting right in front of me as i type this.. dangit!

Anyone know where i can get Orange 3/4?

Also, should i just do a dead eye on the Triple? What y'all think/like for this specific device? An Ultra really is so simplistic.. But dead eye can be somewhat midline.. "moveable"....

How about a R&R style like Theatretech is using? Damn.. so many good options..
Much appreciated, i dont use the nick method, i have a method for tapering i use somewhat universally which I'm used to and gives consistent predictable results, kinda just stick to it because i know it so well

TimBr

@Daveyface; Please forgive my ignorance. What is the purpose of the large loop with both ends attached to the same ring? Maybe to pass the loop around the stem and the bight through the ring to form a cinching anchor? Thanks in advance.

Tim

Joeybagodonuts

@Daveyface; Please forgive my ignorance. What is the purpose of the large loop with both ends attached to the same ring? Maybe to pass the loop around the stem and the bight through the ring to form a cinching anchor? Thanks in advance.

Tim
Probably just a large ring loop for whatever... Could be used as a prusik on a larger parent sling like the 14mm Sirius one in the picture... Or girthed like you referenced.. All sorts of uses..

Daveyface

Probably just a large ring loop for whatever... Could be used as a prusik on a larger parent sling like the 14mm Sirius one in the picture... Or girthed like you referenced.. All sorts of uses..
Yea pretty much ran out of stuff to make and figured it would be useful. I imagined it as a Prussik for tensioning anchored speedlines or pull lines. The line would go thru a ring on the anchor point then thru the loop ring that's hitched to create a quik 2 to 1. It has many uses but I just had the stuff to make it on hand