Show off them splices

ARLO

@39Buick, Just out of curiosity, where did you start the cover taper? Some of the older instructions I came across years ago said to measure down the rope 1.5" from the crossover mark and then count 9 piks down the rope from there before starting the taper. I don't do that. I measure down the rope 8 piks from the first mark before starting the taper. Otherwise you end up with way too much fiber inside the splice.

oldoakman

You will have to bring it over. I've heard the complaint re how hard it is to get the final bury but have never used tachyon myself.

39Buick

@39Buick, Just out of curiosity, where did you start the cover taper? Some of the older instructions I came across years ago said to measure down the rope 1.5" from the crossover mark and then count 9 piks down the rope from there before starting the taper. I don't do that. I measure down the rope 8 piks from the first mark before starting the taper. Otherwise you end up with way too much fiber inside the splice.
I found instructions here; www.gaparboristsupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Tachyon_Eye_Splice.pdf
I actually made a number of errors splicing this so it will be cut off and hung around my neck until i do it right!
I think i inserted the core at mark A rather than C. Also I didn't mark the tail of the core properly when i did the taper and bury. As a result there is way to much core in the bury.
For the cover I did count 8 strands from mark A to get mark C and then counted 3 strands and pulled a pair, then 4 strands and then 3/4 for 8 pairs rather than 6.
Being new to this game all the marks get me confused! Coupled with scrolling up and down the instruction page i just messed it up! I will eventually get it right! Thanks again for your help!

39Buick

You will have to bring it over. I've heard the complaint re how hard it is to get the final bury but have never used tachyon myself.
I will absolutely bring it over and we can get an eye splice in it. You may have to do the work though, my hands hurt so bad i can barely hold a tea glass and have several blisters for my efforts!
I did pick up a soft fid and some piano wire to make a couple wire fids and I think that will help tremendously.
I'm blaming all this on @Santiago Casanova for mentioning that cast o tachyon store on ebay! Think that's all they have at the moment other than kernmantle rope!

ARLO

@39Buick, those are the same instructions I follow except that I remove the inner core half way between marks 2 and 3 instead of at mark 2. That makes the taper a little more uniform and I think it makes the bury a tiny bit easier. I don't think it effects strength much at all, as those inner core strands are there primarily to keep the rope round when running through gear.

If you did insert the core at mark A instead of mark C I can see why the bury would be a killer. Live and learn!

39Buick

@39Buick, those are the same instructions I follow except that I remove the inner core half way between marks 2 and 3 instead of at mark 2. That makes the taper a little more uniform and I think it makes the bury a tiny bit easier. I don't think it effects strength much at all, as those inner core strands are there primarily to keep the rope round when running through gear.

If you did insert the core at mark A instead of mark C I can see why the bury would be a killer. Live and learn!
I will have to try that on my next attempt. As tight as the splice becomes every little bit would help!

TimBr

All I can think when I read about the work you guys put in to make a splice is that you are all truly tough, tenacious people. At least when you are just learning, but I suspect all the way through to being experienced at it.

39Buick

Last one until I get a perfect Tachyon Splice. This is a 150' of Teufelberger Sta-Set Rigging rope in 1/2" (12.7mm) Spliced a Notch Rapid Rig onto the end. I have to say this one was much easier. Be it a little more practice or more than likely it is this particular rope. At any rate I'm liking this splicing gig!!! Sta-Set Splice.JPG

TimBr

I was just trying to get a comeback from Santiago. No luck.
Right. My comeback to your joke setup was that I only objected to one of the three slams you mentioned. It's even more funny if you create a list of six or seven items, and then only object to one of them. It is comedy shtick I use with my siblings and friends all the time.

Tim

ARLO

Right. My comeback to your joke setup was that I only objected to one of the three slams you mentioned. It's even more funny if you create a list of six or seven items, and then only object to one of them. It is comedy shtick I use with my siblings and friends all the time.

Tim
Yuk, yuk! Guess I will go hang out in the garage with my ropes.

Avesharp1

Samson and NER had instructions for splicing solid braid 12 strand. It's similar to 3 strand, as the strands are tucked along the outside of the rope. Unravel the tail and pair up two strands that twist in opposite directions, do the others to get six pairs. Form the eye and pass three of the pairs through the rope, like a brummel. The pairs then go over one strand and under two, dropping out strands gradually to taper it at the end.

The other three use the Marlowbraid splice. The Vega splice is the same type. The HTP was the hardest and I had to use a splice that has the cover brummel to the other side. I've seen these types of splices in a couple other sources with slight variations.
I know I'm way late to the game here, but I've been coming up with very little on my research. I've been getting more into splicing and I'm starting to move into harder splices. I might be overthinking this, but does the diameter of the rope affect your measurements for the marlowbraid splice? I noticed you spliced three parallel braid ropes of different diameter, did you do any conversion on the formula to accommodate thicker/thinner ropes?

Brocky

Hi Avesharp, welcome to the Buzz, we’re lucky this party never stops! You’re right the diameter does determine what lengths are buried. Marlow’s instructions and videos for their Marlowbraid splice seem to be for 10mm rope, they never specify. The Vega splice dimensions seem to confirm this. Marlow has given a couple slight variations on how to do the splice.

Avesharp1

Hi Avesharp, welcome to the Buzz, we’re lucky this party never stops! You’re right the diameter does determine what lengths are buried. Marlow’s instructions and videos for their Marlowbraid splice seem to be for 10mm rope, they never specify. The Vega splice dimensions seem to confirm this. Marlow has given a couple slight variations on how to do the splice.
Thank you for the welcome and the insight. I was thinking the marlowbraid instructions looked like 10mm, but wasn't sure. I have yet to look into the Vega splice. Is there much difference between the two splices?

Brocky

They are about the same. The Vega instructions are ambiguous about how the buries are done. The core and cover can be buried on the same side, or opposite sides. I generally go a little longer to get a more gradual taper.