Shop pants

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
When I'm climbing or working in the field I do like Arborwear pants or other synthetics.

Time to upgrade my workshop wardrobe. Style sure isn’t a criteria but there are some things I’m looking for

Since welding is part of shop work no synthetics or blends
Gussets in the knees to accommodate kneeling and no bunching
NO stove pipe stiff material like Carhartt!
Pockets in the knees for foam pads...I can sew them in so this isn’t mandatory
A bit more fitted than Carhartt style. I don’t need them to fit two of me at once. I’m not a big guy
An array of pockets for the usual stuff
I’ve seen some with zip off pouch aprons. Agaim, I can sew too so this isn’t a primary criteria

The Euro workers seem to have much more practical workwear. Made for trades not just farming

What’s stylin’ for you?

Thanks. Tom

rope-a-dope

I had some Duluth pants that had 3% elastane, not sure how they would hold up to sparky stuff. They were comfy and tough, called flex firehose I think? They have FR clothing and most of their stuff fits decently and comes with lots of nice features like knee pad pockets, gussets, cargo style etc.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Theres's a DT store nearby. I’ll check them out. I can NOT put up with stiff thick canvas material like Carhartt or DTs Firehose cloth

rope-a-dope

Yeah I never tried the full firehose canvas, not interested in a suit of armor. The flex fabric is really nice. I still have a pair that I turned into shorts after the knees blew

JeffGu

I like the Duluth flex fabric ones, too... but I only have one pair cuz... well, they're expensive. Most of the time, I buy up cheap sweatpants from Wally World when they're on clearance. I have tons of the stupid things and wear them in the shop because when they get to be unrecognizable as clothing, you can just toss them. Super cheap, easy to sew pockets for anything on them.

Of course, I have actually caught them on fire a couple of times. This is why I always keep a large drink handy, for fire extinguisher and refreshment purposes. In the interests of safety: if you are drinking hard liquor, I recommend mixing the booze in a 1:3 ratio with a non-flammable mixer, like cola or lemonade. Otherwise, flare ups are a bitch. I know, you're thinking, "How can I get any work done drinking that watered-down piss?" You just have to adapt. Build your shop in a basement with a floor drain, to cut down on having to go upstairs to pee.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
@rustykfd

Mascot makes some nice stuff..well engineered. Now I'm conflicted. I found denim bibs fro Dickies for $20 at Sierra Outfitters. I can sew pockets into the knees for pads ands have adequate workpants. No wear as nice a store bought of course

Reach

CAT makes pants that seem to fit your description; the knee pad pockets are good, they have built-in tool apron pockets, and they’re cut for a smaller guy. That’s the only reason I don’t wear them anymore, I am not a “slim fit” shaped person and those pants were.

Mowerr

Ever looked at dickies rip stop climbing pants? Sounds like they have your fit but I don't know how they do with sparkes

climbstihl

Since you mentioned good stuff from europe, engelbert strauss is what everyone wears over here. They have all types of pants, fitted, loose, cargo, stretch, FR, chainsaw protective etc...

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Since I retired I've my purchasing decision process has changed. More than likely I won't be spending as much time working on large projects. The demands I put on tools in the past probably won't happen in the future. I've bought a couple of Harbor Freight tools because they were a good value and I expect a 'long enough' life from them. Pants, and tools, have last 10-15-25 years of hard work..do I need to have their replacements last that long?

The features and fit of the Euro style work pants are nice...but compare that to $20 for some Dickies and an hour of sewing to put the Tom Touch on them. Sewing is fun too...just as much fun as building a winch bumper for my Tracker or roof racks for my camper.

Value definition has changed for me.

I am soooo tempted by the Euro style bibs!

jdevogel

Arborwear Willow Flex pants should fit the bill. Lightweight, tough, stretchy, more 'fitted', gussets and a wide array of pockets. https://arborwear.com/willow-flex-pants#color=241

I do work at Arborwear, so admittedly a bit biased :cool: . I've owned a pair of these for over a year though and used them on everything from clearing brush on my neglected 2-acre lot, dredging streams, limbing and chunking up storm-damaged trees, setting up 3ft x 60ft of retaining wall, installing calipers on my 4runner, oil changes and more... you get the idea. They are great pants.

One thing I've noticed, that they are working on, is if you just toss them in the dryer on high they shrink quite a bit (although they do relax some after 10-12 washes) - better to hang dry if you can. Maybe even order one size bigger than you'd usually wear if you plan on just chucking em in the dryer. Otherwise they fit true to size.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
Arborwear Willow Flex pants should fit the bill. Lightweight, tough, stretchy, more 'fitted', gussets and a wide array of pockets. https://arborwear.com/willow-flex-pants#color=241

I do work at Arborwear, so admittedly a bit biased :cool: . I've owned a pair of these for over a year though and used them on everything from clearing brush on my neglected 2-acre lot, dredging streams, limbing and chunking up storm-damaged trees, setting up 3ft x 60ft of retaining wall, installing calipers on my 4runner, oil changes and more... you get the idea. They are great pants.

One thing I've noticed, that they are working on, is if you just toss them in the dryer on high they shrink quite a bit (although they do relax some after 10-12 washes) - better to hang dry if you can. Maybe even order one size bigger than you'd usually wear if you plan on just chucking em in the dryer. Otherwise they fit true to size.
Will that 5% spandex have a problem with welding and grinding?
I never worry about what I'm wearing (except these freaking $400 pfanners) and I noticed recently that everything synthetic that I own is peppered all over with tiny, circular holes. They just kind of look dirty until you get all up on them.

jdevogel

@SomethingWitty if I was doing daily welding and grinding I'd probably opt for something FR... even though its going to be quite a bit heavier and hotter. I *think* we have a few pairs of Cedar Flex FR pants left in the warehouse. They aren't on the site, but if you want to order some just give a call. I'd certainly opt for something heavier than a synthetic - I've been stung by an angle grinder a few times. Showers of sparks & spandex / poly / etc is always a bad idea.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
@jdevogel It's definitely not daily.
I just don't usually bother to do anything with my clothes before I start welding and grinding on anything besides putting on boots, if I happen to not be wearing some already.
Same goes for digging or fishing or playing mechanic and rolling in gravel and getting oily.

I do have to say that I appreciate your presence here, even if you only post in your field of expertise. Stick around.

Chaplain242

@SomethingWitty if I was doing daily welding and grinding I'd probably opt for something FR... even though its going to be quite a bit heavier and hotter. I *think* we have a few pairs of Cedar Flex FR pants left in the warehouse. They aren't on the site, but if you want to order some just give a call. I'd certainly opt for something heavier than a synthetic - I've been stung by an angle grinder a few times. Showers of sparks & spandex / poly / etc is always a bad idea.
FR is handy, but even firefighters here wash them at least 4 times (not supposed to wash) before wearing them to drop the Nomex? (Or equivalent) coating to reduce risk cancer. There have been a number of young firefighters die from cancer suspected from the clothing...