Shingles vaccine

moss

Yay! hoping for the same.
6 days in the tide is turning, antiviral drugs seem to be doing their job. However if i’d been vaccinated I wouldn’t have lost multiple days of work. So it goes.
-AJ

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Well damn, going to the doc in a couple hours to get a diagnosis, 2.5 days into a probable shingles eruption left side of my face. If it is shingles hoping I'm getting it early enough to get effective results with an antiviral drug. And stress? Yes I've been under considerable stress lately. At 63 I'm in the sweet spot for this to happen, had chicken pox as a kid. Warning off all children until further notice due to the prevalence of anti-vaxxer offspring roaming the land ;-)
-AJ
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

moss

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Thx Mark! Antivirals work, I was down for 6 days with flu-like symptoms and the shingles rash. I caught it early so the rash was contained. I was able to return to working on day 7. Great news for me even though losing that many days for working was not good. Highly recommend the vaccine.
-AJ

boone0

This is not accurate. Having chicken pox does not give immunity to shingles. When you have chicken pox it lies dormant in your nerves. Under times of stress when you're older, the virus replicates and causes symptoms.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personal UpDate
As old age progresses, I periodically have some bouts of lower back pain.
Two weeks ago, I had a twinge so I limited exercise & activity so I would not aggravate it.
(It ended up not being "normal" back pain.)

One week after the twinge, the pain had progressed to where I could not stand up straight, sit for more than a couple minutes, or sleep in any position.

I was considering calling EMS to get me to the hospital, if my doctor could not see me.

Diagnosis: Shingles - L2 Nerve bundle

I also had a bout of shingles ~ 20 years ago, which was a relatively easy recovery.
This bout is not easy.

After 3 Doctor visits in 1 week, treatment is getting more aggressive, rapidly:

Acyclovir (anti-viral)
Steroid pak
Oxycodone (not effective for my pain)
Morphine (doctor has increased dosage 3 times)
Gabapentin (nerve pain specific med)
MRI (scheduled to check for nerve damage)

My very strong advise: Get the Vaccine !

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Personal UpDate
As old age progresses, I periodically have some bouts of lower back pain.
Two weeks ago, I had a twinge so I limited exercise & activity so I would not aggravate it.
(It ended up not being "normal" back pain.)

One week after the twinge, the pain had progressed to where I could not stand up straight, sit for more than a couple minutes, or sleep in any position.

I was considering calling EMS to get me to the hospital, if my doctor could not see me.

Diagnosis: Shingles - L2 Nerve bundle

I also had a bout of shingles ~ 20 years ago, which was a relatively easy recovery.
This bout is not easy.

After 3 Doctor visits in 1 week, treatment is getting more aggressive, rapidly:

Acyclovir (anti-viral)
Steroid pak
Oxycodone (not effective for my pain)
Morphine (doctor has increased dosage 3 times)
Gabapentin (nerve pain specific med)
MRI (scheduled to check for nerve damage)

My very strong advise: Get the Vaccine !
Sorry to hear this Greg. Hang in there buddy!

moss

Damn Greg! I did low dose Oxycodone for two nights where pain wouldn't let me sleep. What you're talking about is a whole 'nother level. Best of luck getting back to normal ASAP!
-AJ