Shingles vaccine

pctree

Any of you guys done it?

A buddy of mine who is 62 has shingles and it decimated him, he can't do shit. He keeps telling me to do the vaccine as it is so effective and sides free

I distrust fucking with my body so am inclined not to

JD3000

My mom has been an Rn for 40 years or so and highly recommends it. Shingles can be brutal she says.

pctree

Oh yeh this dude worked with us a few years back, maybe 3. He was in pretty good shape. Now he can't do shit , totally fuckec

treebing

I got shingles when I was 30. no fun. but now I'm immune for life. I had very mild chicken pox when I was little and I guess that predisposed me. if you had a good healthy dose of chicken pox as a kid your more likely to be shingles free. now they vaccinate for chicken pox.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got shingles when I was 30. no fun. but now I'm immune for life. I had very mild chicken pox when I was little and I guess that predisposed me. if you had a good healthy dose of chicken pox as a kid your more likely to be shingles free. now they vaccinate for chicken pox.
Ooops
"... good healthy dose of chicken pox as a kid your more likely to be shingles free"

I don't think that is correct.

If you have had chickenpox, you are alway predisposed to shingles.
The current vaccines can reduce the risk of shingles by 51% (test was in people > 60)

I had shingles when I was ~40+; quite painful (& ugly).
After several days, I got an anti-virus shot (that I didn't know existed) and it resolved the pain in 1 day, and cleared me up in several days. (This was before the vaccine was available.)

Also if you have shingles, stay away from children who have not yet had chickenpox.

Last edited:

southsoundtree

Paul, checking with the internet and your doctor about its effects/ risks in relation to other health conditions would be wise. You are the only you. Also, remember to mention any drug allergies, etc to your doctor.

treebilly

I had them pretty bad three winters ago. A very rough couple of weeks. Ended up with some drugs the docs gave me but I think it pretty much runs it’s course by the time the meds kick in. I waited a few days before going so that couldn’t of helped. Had a contract with stiff penalties for non completion so I had to suck it up and perform 72 hours a week. Damn did it suck.
Your call. I wish I never had them

Woodwork

As one of the herpes viruses, shingles (herpes zoster) remains alive, if inactive, in your body for the rest of your life. All herpes viruses work this way. Shingles is the same virus as chicken pox.

I had shingles when I was 20 and it put me in hospital for 10 days and 9 teeth were killed by it. Not sure how the "vaccine" is supposed to work, since if you've ever had chicken pox, you already have live herpes zoster virus living in your body.

Also, even if you've had chicken pox AND shingles, that doesn't mean you're "immune" from shingles. You could get shingles another 100 times in your life.

Also, I believe that once you've had shingles, you can never give blood.

ChuckR

I've had round one of the two required Shingrix shots. Arm got unusually sore compared to flu shot but no big deal. I can't imagine not getting it. It's quite difficult to find anyone who has the vaccine in stock. First shot was at CVS. 2nd shot is done in 2 to 6 months. No idea where I'll end up for it. There is evidence that the vaccine can also address post herpetic neuralgia which can cause extreme pain. This was in a handout with the shot.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
My grandma had shingles that would re-occur. Made her life miserable.

I had shingles in college. Had a swath on my back that itched and felt/looked like poison ivy. Made no sense cuz it was early March. Went to campus clinic. When I took off my shirt the doctor chuckled and asked, ‘Do you have finals coming up?’ Yup...back to back physics and chemistry. He said that stress can bring out shingles. He gave me something. I took the finals. Went to visit my sister at Michigan State for spring break. Itching went away quickly. Haven’t had any since.

Knocks knuckles on my sawdust filled noggin for luck...adds shingles shot to To Do List

Reliable tree man

https://thevaccinereaction.org/2018/09/new-supercharged-shingles-vaccine-has-serious-problems/

The article above has some interesting information about that Shingrix vaccine and provides references for the claims made. Like all pharmaceuticals, there are risks and side effects associated with this vaccine. The question is do the benefits outweigh the risks for you?

I am reluctant to post this due to the strangely supercharged divisive nature of any conversation around vaccines these days but I like to know the risks associated with any medication or vaccine before taking it.

yoyoman

I had my first set a week or so ago, no big deal, felt like my buddy gave me a monkey bump when I was a kid. The nurse made it sound like it was going to be a lot worse than it was, kept telling me that I should rub it out and do all that stuff, I would have but I forgot about it.

dmonn

Since I'm ancient (67), I got the older version of the shingles vaccine. The one that was only about 50% effective. After reading this I'm going to talk to my doc about getting the newer version. I've seen people with shingles--I don't want it!

moss

Well damn, going to the doc in a couple hours to get a diagnosis, 2.5 days into a probable shingles eruption left side of my face. If it is shingles hoping I'm getting it early enough to get effective results with an antiviral drug. And stress? Yes I've been under considerable stress lately. At 63 I'm in the sweet spot for this to happen, had chicken pox as a kid. Warning off all children until further notice due to the prevalence of anti-vaxxer offspring roaming the land ;-)
-AJ