shifting trouble '06 International 4700

Daniel

I have an 06 int with the dt 466. The truck only has 30,000 miles. Noticed about a week ago, it wouldn't shift out of 1st when I stepped on the clutch. Reminded me of the time or two I forgot to disengage the PTO (its a bucket truck). The next time I drove it, I noticed it was even worse and having a hard time pulling out of geat and then getting into gear, unless the RPMs are just about perfect. That's when I realized there was no play in the clutch.

My neighbor helped and was checking the pedal, so I think we over adjusted it. Now there is about 2" of play in the pedal. I could try dialing in the adjustment, but it really didn't matter.

I guess I should make sure the PTO is really disengaging. The clutch grabs really well, starting out and when I put it in 3rd with the brake on and let out the clutch, the engine dies immediately. So I AM thinking it's not the clutch.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this one. Trans guy was talking buying a new one for big $.

Thanks

Reach

My first thought is to be sure the PTO is fully disengaged. If it is, I would go back to the clutch. Is the clutch definitely working properly? Or is it not releasing completely, allowing the transmission to continue to spin under power when you push the pedal? That could cause it to be hard to get in and out of gear, in my thinking.

Luzl78

I have an 06 int with the dt 466. The truck only has 30,000 miles. Noticed about a week ago, it wouldn't shift out of 1st when I stepped on the clutch. Reminded me of the time or two I forgot to disengage the PTO (its a bucket truck). The next time I drove it, I noticed it was even worse and having a hard time pulling out of geat and then getting into gear, unless the RPMs are just about perfect. That's when I realized there was no play in the clutch.

My neighbor helped and was checking the pedal, so I think we over adjusted it. Now there is about 2" of play in the pedal. I could try dialing in the adjustment, but it really didn't matter.

I guess I should make sure the PTO is really disengaging. The clutch grabs really well, starting out and when I put it in 3rd with the brake on and let out the clutch, the engine dies immediately. So I AM thinking it's not the clutch.

Just wondering if anyone has some insight on this one. Trans guy was talking buying a new one for big $.

Thanks
New clutch and labor will be $2,500

Daniel

yes,
opened the vented inspection plate below the throwout bearing, turned the spring locked 5/8th nut til there was 2" of pay in the pedal

Fivepoints

I've had a warped clutch disc cause this issue myself. No amount of adjustment made much difference. Replaced the clutch and everything was good again. It was bad enough I thought I was going to have to build the trans but didn't.

Daniel

Thanks,
A false alarm on the clutch, though it's good to have it adjusted. Turns out the PTO is stuck on. I tapped the air-powered actuator (or whatever that is called) with a hammer, while my buddy switched the PTO off, and the PTO did switch off. The truck drove just fine. Wondering if I should just take that apart and clean it or if there is some other way to fix it. Any suggestions???

thanks

Reach

Thanks,
A false alarm on the clutch, though it's good to have it adjusted. Turns out the PTO is stuck on. I tapped the air-powered actuator (or whatever that is called) with a hammer, while my buddy switched the PTO off, and the PTO did switch off. The truck drove just fine. Wondering if I should just take that apart and clean it or if there is some other way to fix it. Any suggestions???

thanks
I would first make sure it’s getting good air pressure/flow, and maybe get a little oil in it somehow, to see if that loosens it up. Or better yet, call your local truck shop or mobile hydraulics shop, if you have one. We have a company here who specializes in truck hydraulics, including PTOs and they’re really good.