SHERRILL kinda sucks .......

Sciuropterus

[ QUOTE ]
Almost every TB sponsor reads the forum. When I've talked to them about posting they talk about an awkwardness that they feel about participating. That's surely understandable. Too often forum readers respond to posts by sponsors, not just on TB either, in a rather negative way. The readers feel like the sponsors are over promoting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree, I sell a specialized clothing product online, and also advertise on forums related to the items I sell. I only participate on the forums as an individual, and try to leave my business out of it. I don't think it's classy to try to use forum posts to troll for customers, I am pretty hands-off when it comes to forums.

If a customer goes public with a problem, I may post with a request to contact me directly so we can straighten it out, I won't use public forums to conduct ongoing business discussions with customers.

I have seen others in my business say some truly stupid things on forums, you have to be really careful if you are a business owner, you say the wrong thing and you can lose business, better to ignore a complaint on a forum than be overly defensive/aggressive in your reply.

Treevolta

Sherrill does suck, and they suck even more if your ordering from Canada. the prices don't match the exchange rate at all..I just bought the Sequoia harness and they sold it too me for $540 Can, but the USA price was $365, I just checked the exchange rate and on par it should be $407.92. I know it only a few bucks, and I know the Can dollar sucks too but a lot the gear in the Canadian Sherrill catalog is way marked up, I MEAN way marked up...I done with Sherrill too.

easyphloem

[ QUOTE ]
I know it only a few bucks, and I know the Can dollar sucks too but a lot the gear in the Canadian Sherrill catalog is way marked up, I MEAN way marked up...I done with Sherrill too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you are done with Sherrill, you can go back to Canadian Grammar school to brush up on your prose.

SZ

Ambur

I started stocking up on my climbing gear over a year ago and have never had a problem w/ getting orders from Sherrill. Our billing has always been correct, and the quality of the products is very high. I'm sorry that others have had problems, but they have a customer for life in me.

UrbanTC

[ QUOTE ]
I started stocking up on my climbing gear over a year ago and have never had a problem w/ getting orders from Sherrill. Our billing has always been correct, and the quality of the products is very high. I'm sorry that others have had problems, but they have a customer for life in me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%.

Also, in order for 1,000 people to be happy, you have to piss 100 of em' off.

Grais

Advancing the industry, FFS wakeup, what has Tobe Sherril done but make a good deal of money of the industry ?
Its called advertising, and they, Sherril, do it well, but lets not confuse the issue. It is a catalog after all. I would venture to guess that the ISA has done more for Arborists in general, and in doing so increased Sherrils bottom line.
Sherrils prices straight up suck rocks, its in black and white, Ive done the investigating, and they have higher prices on anything that matters, so, if you want to buy over priced tree gear and get the warm fuzzy feeling 'cause you ordered from someone who talked at you on the Internet at TB, well, give 'er.
To me Sherril is the rec climbers store, I think he catalog impresses them, all shiny and new. People who do this for a living will generally not throw money away, so they buy at the best price they can get, and they, Sherril, just don't deliver that.

Spend it where you want to tho, its your money.
-G.

Gerald_Beranek

I'm not sure of the exact details, but Sherrill's was either bought out or has a new business partner that holds controlling interests. And when such business strategy happened I'm not exactly sure either.

Now matter, when such things happen in a business the one buying in usually tries to cut costs. And it's always at a sacrifice one way or the other somewhere.

Tobe seems as earnest as ever to chime in to keep things running smooth, but what his real capacity is with the company anymore is only a guess by me.

Who's really running the company and how to resolve customer service issues may not be entirely up to him anymore.

He may very well be between a rock and a hard spot with this.

Sciuropterus

[ QUOTE ]
Also, in order for 1,000 people to be happy, you have to piss 100 of em' off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally not true- I run an e-commerce business and have had over 4000 transactions just thru eBay (not including our website sales) over the last 7 years, by your logic my eBay feedback would have over 200 negative ratings. My feedback rating is 100% positive. If you are pissing off 10% of your customers, you are in trouble...

NeTree

Tom, I understand your post.

However, there are many ways to post actively without "trolling" for business. Sean at Wesspur does this well, as he is also an avid - and from what I have seen- skilled climber. If Tobe doesn't have such interests, then it's understandable, of course.

Dan_Kraus

There's a lot to learn from reading one of Tobe’s catalogs. I’ve been reading them since I started getting serious about climbing. I’ve learned quite a bit just from reading over every piece of gear. I’ve enjoyed them all these years and they just keep getting better. The drawings are fantastic. The catalog has introduced me to a wealth of ideas and great gear.

tom_otto

Sherrill has always been good to me. The catalogs are a great resource for all involved in the tree industry. Over the years I've given several catalogs to people interested in learning about climbing or tree work, because they don't just show products, they illustrate how they're used.

Keep up the good work Tobe!!

treehumper

They're like every other business so get over it. They charge prices that are at times more and sometimes less then their competitors, ask Vince at Northeastern. They will at times deliver on service and other times blow it big time.

Their Canadian pricing does at time seem excessive but that's the problem with having everything shipped to the U.S. first then up here. There are additional overheads beyond the exchange rate. What they do have is a Toronto location that has much more merchandise on hand to actually play with and a much broader selection.

In the end you do business with those that you feel comfortable with. Just like our clients.

SteveGrind

The red core came out I'd say a little over an inch. Sherrill ultimately did do the right thing and let me re- order without having to pay shipping, so credit where credit is due. Kudos to them.

niceviews

For what its worth, I had some issues with getting an accurate price quote and tobe responded and told me he would give them to me for free. He did, and Im thankful for that.

Blinky

Thank Brian Kotwicka for the catalog illustrations. He did 'The Tree Climber's Companion' too. Nice guy, taught me to footlock.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Why aren't illustrations and information included in a catalog considered training?

Sherrill was the first to compile the chart of rope specs in one place. Real dimensions of rope is important.

Being able to see gear configurations and new knots/hitches has sure helped a lot of people who haven't had the benefit of 'proper training'.

I've seen plenty of climbers who have had what they considered 'proper training' that was wrong. Not by my rules either...they were taught to use gear and techniques that were going to put them at risk. But, since they worked for a company with a 'proper training program' what would they know?

jf1962

Don't worry Sherril, we at the park in SO-CAL will still buy from you . Our Vermeer dealer out here in San Marcos Ca are doing a heck of a job on all of our orders,

Later from SO-CAL

brushbandit

Huh? Gaining insight on equipment you don't currently use and learning about newly introduced equipment from a catalog means you weren't properly trained? Sorry, but I think your way off on that.