Service drop power line - Pay Attention!

#1
Ran into this a couple weeks ago. Customer paid some hacks to top these trees a couple years ago and since they grew back she wanted to get a professional to have them removed. Gave her the quote, she accepted and was able to squeeze the job in the following day. My new groundie was asking if I would be shocked if I touched the line. I stated it is possible if it is uninsulated. Also that if you have to work near the Service Drop or possibly make contact with it is to first inspect line for worn insulation exposing the wires. Usually it's pretty obvious when the tree is clearly rubbing against it. This time it wasn't so obvious!
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
20170917/190bf7835e9589f91cc99fd8abb5293f.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/
This picture was taken while gaining access to the topped Chines Tallow.
d4be35da2e87cdda57dd996f2a565464.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
#2
Ran into this a couple weeks ago. Customer paid some hacks to top these trees a couple years ago and since they grew back she wanted to get a professional to have them removed. Gave her the quote, she accepted and was able to squeeze the job in the following day. My new groundie was asking if I would be shocked if I touched the line. I stated it is possible if it is uninsulated. Also that if you have to work near the Service Drop or possibly make contact with it is to first inspect line for worn insulation exposing the wires. Usually it's pretty obvious when the tree is clearly rubbing against it. This time it wasn't so obvious!
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
20170917/190bf7835e9589f91cc99fd8abb5293f.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170917/
d4be35da2e87cdda57dd996f2a565464.jpg



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

tc262

Well-Known Member
#4
My new groundie was asking if I would be shocked if I touched the line. I stated it is possible if it is uninsulated. Also that if you have to work near the Service Drop or possibly make contact with it is to first inspect line for worn insulation exposing the wires.
Sorry man but...
If you need to work near any lines, insulated or not, have them dropped or de-energized. Every power company I'm aware of will disconnect or drop service lines at no charge. Work near lines that are insulated need the same precautions as a line that is uninsulated.
 

Levi.CO

Well-Known Member
#6
Pretty sure 99% of arbs work near hot service drops regularly... I know I do. Only time I have ever had a house drop.... dropped, was when it was too much of a PITA to remove a tree nearby or the like. It would be a major pain in the arse to have them dropped every time, in my opinion. Geez, I hope I do not get juiced by a house drop next week...:eek:
 
#7
Sorry man but...
If you need to work near any lines, insulated or not, have them dropped or de-energized. Every power company I'm aware of will disconnect or drop service lines at no charge. Work near lines that are insulated need the same precautions as a line that is uninsulated.
I appreciate your feedback and you're right I could have easily set that up and should have.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

evo

Well-Known Member
#8
Pretty sure 99% of arbs work near hot service drops regularly... I know I do. Only time I have ever had a house drop.... dropped, was when it was too much of a PITA to remove a tree nearby or the like. It would be a major pain in the arse to have them dropped every time, in my opinion. Geez, I hope I do not get juiced by a house drop next week...:eek:
Doing tree work around hot wires is like playing with a rattlesnake.. sure you can do it, some times safely, in time you will get bit. Some times it will just hurt a little and others it will kill you. Make your choice..
 

tc262

Well-Known Member
#9
Pretty sure 99% of arbs work near hot service drops regularly... I know I do. Only time I have ever had a house drop.... dropped, was when it was too much of a PITA to remove a tree nearby or the like. It would be a major pain in the arse to have them dropped every time, in my opinion. Geez, I hope I do not get juiced by a house drop next week...:eek:
Yeah but he said if you have to make contact inspect them. I work near hot drops too but not if I'm contacting them.
 
#11
Pretty sure 99% of arbs work near hot service drops regularly... I know I do. Only time I have ever had a house drop.... dropped, was when it was too much of a PITA to remove a tree nearby or the like. It would be a major pain in the arse to have them dropped every time, in my opinion. Geez, I hope I do not get juiced by a house drop next week...:eek:
I started working for a premier Tree Service in 1998. This Tree Service is still a first class business with high safety standards. I wanted to climb so they put me on the Pruning and hedge trimming crew. We were consistently working within arms distance of them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Levi.CO

Well-Known Member
#12
My attitude towards house drops- do not touch. Same thing they say in TCIA ehap. Sure, if you bit a power cord, you might get a funny taste in your mouth:D
 

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
#15
What?!?!

Beyond the rules of OSHA/ANSI...why???

Not worth the hassle? Ask your spouse/kids/family/friends what they think about taking this risk

Follow VOTE/VETO...one vote stops the work

Please...get a power drop before working that close the next time. I want you to contribute to the 'buzz for many years
 
#17
Reminds me of an extension cord we were using to charge the battery in the chipper this week. I took this pic and sent it to the other crew leader in charge of these sort of things. He just replied " don't touch it, it tingles".
Message_1505395377693.jpg
 
#18
What?!?!

Beyond the rules of OSHA/ANSI...why???

Not worth the hassle? Ask your spouse/kids/family/friends what they think about taking this risk

Follow VOTE/VETO...one vote stops the work

Please...get a power drop before working that close the next time. I want you to contribute to the 'buzz for many years
Hey thanks Tom! I posted this thinking it could save someone from being seriously injured or even killed by this. Now I am beginning to think that someone might be me


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

Jem4417

Well-Known Member
#19
Lol what do you think line clearance guys do? I used to be around those wires everyday. Utility arborists can get electrocuted just as easy as residential arborists. If you think touching a service wire (house drops) with your rope or throwline or with mild indirect contact of a branch you will get shocked shows you don't understand what is really going on. I'd never tell you to touch a service wire because the rules clearly state a no touch policy will be followed considering the wire is energized with potentially fatal voltages. But I've seen people accidentally touch it and no one immediately combusted. Obviously primaries will ruin your life and in no way am I advocating a thought process that involves lackadaisically working around power lines but the lower voltages lines do not carry the energy to kill you anywhere close in comparison to primaries
 

Jehinten

Well-Known Member
#20
Reminds me of an extension cord we were using to charge the battery in the chipper this week. I took this pic and sent it to the other crew leader in charge of these sort of things. He just replied " don't touch it, it tingles".
View attachment 46990

I'd imagine it does tingle. Lol. For what it's worth, duct tape is not an eletrical insulator and eletrical tape is cheap. Besides those black wires that have the exposed wire showing, those are the ones that do the shocking.
 
Top