Serius Rope Outer Sheath Failure

theXman

The odd thing I've never seen before with any other rope is I noticed my Sirius rope would get hard, like a pipe after I would use it for a speedline. You could hold it and it would stick out horizontal for like maybe 18-20 inches after speedlining. It would get softer when you stuffed it back into the bag, but made it a little irritating to put back after a speedline day. I never experienced a busted cover though, but only had it for maybe 2 years and it got stolen out of the back of our truck or the guys left it on a job.

cerviarborist

This is a great example that cycles to failure has nothing to do with how long you've owned the rope. I'm sure you exercised your best judgement and my perspective is limited to photos, but based on those photos, I would have retired that to tag-line duty or put it on my boat before it showed that much wear. Every photo shows a worn out rope. All that frizzling is multiple broken strands. I'm glad you're ok and that it sounds like severe pucker syndrome was the worst part of the incident.

theXman

Cycles to failure has nothing to do with how long you've owned the rope. Just looking at the photos, I would have retired that to tag-line duty or put it on my boat before it showed that much wear. Every photo shows a worn out rope.
most tree crews don't wear out a rope in a year and he explained he's nice to his ropes, so that was useful information to me at least.

Steve Connally

This is a great example that cycles to failure has nothing to do with how long you've owned the rope. I'm sure you exercised your best judgement and my perspective is limited to photos, but based on those photos, I would have retired that to tag-line duty or put it on my boat before it showed that much wear. Every photo shows a worn out rope. All that frizzling is multiple broken strands. I'm glad you're ok and that it sounds like severe pucker syndrome was the worst part of the incident.
I see what you are saying but the rope wasn't in very bad condition. I've not seen a rope that didn't fuzz out after the first few weeks of work. IMHO this rope wasn't in need of retirement yet but I certainly wouldn't have dropped the WLL into it. The areas pictured didn't look like that before the break. Some minor glazing on one spot or 2 but the fuzzing out happened at the time of the break hence the initial concern about a burr on the bollard. I didn't find one on inspection. My conclusion was multiple factors played into the failure. Some mine and some of it I believe are the rope design and construction. I can say I didn't really like this rope from the start. The cover moves around so much on the core.