Selling debris in bulk

matdand

Have you ever done this in your market?

I was thinking of trying to sell bulk wood in containers, like 20-30-40 yards. Nothing cut up or split, just straight from our truck, into a container then when it's full, off it goes.

Was thinking of offering hardwood at a premium cost and then a softwood/conifer mix at a discount.

Was also thinking of doing the same with chips. Maybe figure out some way we could filter out the larger stuff, twigs and branches to offer a higher quality product.

Wondering if it's worth the time, management, equipment, etc.?

evo

I was thinking of trying to sell bulk wood in containers, like 20-30-40 yards. Nothing cut up or split, just straight from our truck, into a container then when it's full, off it goes.

Was thinking of offering hardwood at a premium cost and then a softwood/conifer mix at a discount.

Was also thinking of doing the same with chips. Maybe figure out some way we could filter out the larger stuff, twigs and branches to offer a higher quality product.

There is a guy here that loads up shipping containers with logs of value and ships them off to buyers somewhere. There is a market for anything it just takes the right buyer. He was looking for 18” or greater alder logs a while back, perhaps going to a veneer peeler?!

Maybe there is a firewood processor near you (could be a few towns over if buying bulk)?

OasisTree

We are currently doing this...we save back any hardwood logs and sell them by the cord delivered. The softwood logs get discarded. I can haul around 6 cord with my grapple truck, and it sure beats processing it. I just stockpile it thru the summer then haul it out in the winter. The buyers are either firewood sellers themselves, or have large outdoor wood burners.