Saw technique???

NailerB

In no way do I pretend to be a professional tree feller but I have stayed at a holiday inn. What is the deal with the european method of felling trees? I cannot get my head around all of the vertical cut's they make before cutting the notch. I'm almost 58 and have never seen the need but I'm willing to learn.

hseII

It has to do with their more prevalent use if short bars. Cuts are made to the butt swell so that their short bars can reach and fell the tree.
This.

Those Euros run short bars on 60-90cc power heads- 16-20” bars.

No Thank You.

They don’t do wrap handles or H.O. Oilers either: The Swedish Stump Dance is their preferred technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

colb

It has to do with their more prevalent use if short bars. Cuts are made to the butt swell so that their short bars can reach and fell the tree.
The guy in the video had enough bar to forego butt swell cutting... I thought they cut their butt swell to avoid inconsistent release of bark and outer sap wood. I cut some butt swell today but I don't really know why... butt swell.

hseII

Aren't these the same Europeans that put in the angled portion of their undercut first? Who would do such a thing?
I’ve heard of folks starting with the angled cut of the face so they can watch the chain as it breaks the plane with the horizontal cut: to aid in them not creating a bypass.

Either way, the Europeans do it Funny.

hseII

The guy in the video had enough bar to forego butt swell cutting... I thought they cut their butt swell to avoid inconsistent release of bark and outer sap wood. I cut some butt swell today but I don't really know why... butt swell.
If a fellow was to clip the corners before starting the back cut, I believe that would take care of the concern.

colb

Aren't these the same Europeans that put in the angled portion of their undercut first? Who would do such a thing?
I'll bite, why should we cut the angle first? Do they cut the angle for a Humboldt cut too, or just conventional?

Btw, I tried your straight leg nonsense today. Wtf, man. I think you get away with it because your trees are straight. I was up in a dead pine canopy going koala half the time, but I did try to straighten out more. It was fine on spar, but just too balancy in the top...

hseII

I'll bite, why should we cut the angle first? Do they cut the angle for a Humboldt cut too, or just conventional?

Btw, I tried your straight leg nonsense today. Wtf, man. I think you get away with it because your trees are straight. I was up in a dead pine canopy going koala half the time, but I did try to straighten out more. It was fine on spar, but just too balancy in the top...
I don’t think they Humboldt: I’ve for sure never seen it in all the “New Saws not currently in NA” videos.

colb

Pat Karlson Humboldts in the canopy every time like a machine. Haven't thought about their ground shots...

Barc Buster

I suppose it does do that too, but it seems like simply kerfing the corners of the hinges does the same thing and is way less fiddly.

Bango Skank

Think the logs stack better on truck/ trailer with the swell removed? The parts they're removing wouldn't make it into the boards anyways, right?
Probably easier to cut those bits off before the whole thing is laying in the dirt. And yeah, the short bars :)

colb

Think the logs stack better on truck/ trailer with the swell removed? The parts they're removing wouldn't make it into the boards anyways, right?
Probably easier to cut those bits off before the whole thing is laying in the dirt. And yeah, the short bars :)
Might as well do some vertical chainsaw milling so you don't have to push the mill... :cool:

benfuest

Bango Shank is right, the logs load better on the truck and on the mill bed. I like to run a 18-20 inch bar on a Husqu 372 or Sthil 066. Shorter bars are faster, and yes when felling top cut first.

Chaplain242

Only time I really cut buttswell is when I am looking for compromised wood due termites or possibly compartmentalised infection/injury.

Must say I often do angled cut first unless I am doing a scarf from the opposite side of the spar then I find it easier to do horizontal cut first. This is due to often encountering storm/Termite damaged trees and I have found I get more time to pull out bar if it decides to pinch, probably bad habit but works for me...

Last edited:

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Horizontal first.....angled second....fuck that other noise.....knees straight and I climb some curvy shit....actually thinking of trying the euro gaff.....not sure though

climbstihl

Speaking of us Europeans using short bars for felling, here's what I did yesterday. MSA 120 with a 25cm bar, tree about 45cm diameter. And no, the small battery saw was not my first choice, just the only thing I had available.20190517_155700.jpg