Sam ascending 45' up mahogany in Barbados. 7 years old.

39Buick

Again, Sam is the man!!! Hats off to you DAD for taking the time and teaching him the right way! You guys must have a ball climbing together, I can imagine the smiles, laughter and the bonding!! Nice job!

Woodwork

Very cool. He'll be climbing circles around you before you know it, I'll bet.

Is that a "mahogany" like a Honduran mahogany / Swietenia macrophylla? That's probably my favorite wood in the world to machine or work by hand...it just always seems to look great, no matter what you do to it...

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Very cool. He'll be climbing circles around you before you know it, I'll bet.

Is that a "mahogany" like a Honduran mahogany / Swietenia macrophylla? That's probably my favorite wood in the world to machine or work by hand...it just always seems to look great, no matter what you do to it...

There ya go.

Bango Skank

Sam is kicking ass and taking names!
That’s awesome, kid has no fear :)

So curious here about your thoughts on him possibly becoming a working climber in the future.

My son is 17, he’s been working the ground for me occasionally lately and learning to cut. He’s done some rec climbing along with my daughter, but I don’t think I’d want him to become a working climber. Probably not even an issue, he’s learning diesel mechanics at a vocational school and getting into some serious talks with an Army recruiter. Anything more than occasional rec climbing probably isn’t in the cards for him, and I’m pretty happy about that.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Sam is kicking ass and taking names!
That’s awesome, kid has no fear :)

So curious here about your thoughts on him possibly becoming a working climber in the future.

My son is 17, he’s been working the ground for me occasionally lately and learning to cut. He’s done some rec climbing along with my daughter, but I don’t think I’d want him to become a working climber. Probably not even an issue, he’s learning diesel mechanics at a vocational school and getting into some serious talks with an Army recruiter. Anything more than occasional rec climbing probably isn’t in the cards for him, and I’m pretty happy about that.
My son is my mirror image practically. He craves excitement and constant stimulation. He took to climbing quick. 3:1 for 3 goes. Exactly one year ago on his bday. Day before so the 12th July. But he was keen so I made him a chestie to his size adjusted a ct footie for his exact size in boots. Then took a saka mini and made it for his stride length. Rope wrench shorty with a michoacan. He just took off. Now limbwalking. And trying swinging. Will he work as an arborist. I hope so but that will be his choice. He will always have the skill. Still young.

rico

Looks like the nut didn't fall far from the tree Paul. As someone who had a world class asshole for a father and a pretty shitty childhood I was genuinely touched when I saw this vid. Sam crushing it and you being a kickass father! Its amazing what kids can accomplish with some solid parenting and a little encouragement. Good on both of you bro!!

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Looks like the nut didn't fall far from the tree Paul. As someone who had a world class asshole for a father and a pretty shitty childhood I was genuinely touched when I saw this vid. Sam crushing it and you being a kickass father! Its amazing what kids can accomplish with some solid parenting and a little encouragement. Good on both of you bro!!
Thanks Erik. I am an asshole but love my kids and spend loads of time with them. Doing outside play. Still struggle with my foul mouth and patience but we have loads of fun.

Burrapeg

Lucky kid! Lucky Dad too I think. What a special thing to share. My father was a consulting engineer and traveled all over the World. He was a great role model but I did not get a lot of father/son time with him like this when I was that small. Got to know him better in his last years, once he retired, and now he is gone. I think of him sometimes when I am enjoying something as much as I love being in a tree now, or out on my boat, etc. To imagine if he was with me.

New2trees

Is it a bad thing to be jealous of a 7 yr olds climbing ability.....

All joking aside excellent job by the both of you, I know some of my best memories were of my old man teaching me to operate the old two stroke lawnmower (sadly no chain saws) or how to cut a board square with a hand saw.

You are both very lucky to have each others company to enjoy....keep up the good work!