Saluting Branches.

kstreehuggerco

So I was looking up something on a tree science companies web site last night and I noticed a link to an organization called Saluting Branches. It is an organization that uses volunteer arborists to take care of trees in National Cemeteries around the country. Being a vet I am definately down for a day of service taking care of trees in our National Cemeteries. They deal with 22 different cemeteries across the country, I just wish they had one closer to Colorado.

I just thought I would post this here to bring some awareness to the cause. I dont know much about it, but if any of you fellow Buzzers have participated please feel free to tell me all about it. I am already looking at my calender to see when I will be able to take off and participate.

the website is www.salutingbranches.org

Thanks.
Kenn

Saluting_Branches_Logo.jpg

oldoakman

I was priveledged to organize and chair a volunteer work day at Andersonville National Cemetery in 2007 and 2008. It is the site of the infamous Confederate prison camp where 13,000 prisoners died. We worked on trees that were witness to the interment of those 13,000 souls. It truly is hallowed ground. It is also where I met Tom Dunlap. I have looked into doing something with this project, but the closest site for me are almost 400 miles away.

guymayor

I took part at Andersonville with oldoak, then was invited back as a contractor. We strung a lot of steel and copper in those old guys, to prevent what caused the attached events.
Oldoak and I both were holding back the tears when we realized that veteran had to be condemned. I don't think either of us actually succeeded.

9 years ago, gad; time's flyin'!

I wrote to see if we could set up a project closer to home. That list of sites is not a maximum, I trust...

Attachments

kstreehuggerco

Levenworth KS is going to be the closest to me, which sucks because Ft Morgan is only 45 miles away. I talked to some one at Saluting Branches and she said that they come up with a list of which cemeteries to work on by how much interest there is, AKA Squeaky Wheel, and how much work needs done on the trees at each cemetery. I may have to find an easily manipulated arborist to be my squeaky wheel to get Fort Morgan on next years list.

Thanks for all you guys who have worked on some of these projects in the past. I salute you.

monkeylove

Just wanted to say thanks to all the guys I got the pleasure of working with today. I had a great time, served a great cause, and hung out all day with some fantastic guys.

oldoakman

Glad to hear ML. Our project is Saturday at Andersonville. Seems that the veterans administration had too much red tape and too many hoops for a project in Marietta Ga. Aville is NPS so they are a bit different. They jumped at the chance for us to come. TL is coming from Ctown SC
Can't wait!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Ahhh..the end of a most pleasant day...of service. My day was spent at Ft. Snelling here in Minneapolis. I lost count of the clam truck loads went to the dump.

Lots of pruning...some removals...some PHC and many of comrades on rope!

There are 215,000 buried at Ft. Snelling Cemetery. Three I know, Dad's Dad, Mom's sis and her husband.

My brother Jim was at Dallas-Ft. Worth Cemetery and pruned the trees along the walkway near Dad's grave. He left Dad a bit of sawdust.

Attending the TCIA DoS @ Arlington was a real honor many years ago. Then, Andersonville with Eric. All good, heart-felt work for our Veterans and families.

While I walk to and fro at these events I try to read as many gravestones as possible. It's said that we don't die until no one talks about us. Reading their names keeps them alive.

Start planning for next year. If there isn't a National Cemetery nearby with a host, become the host. Not hard to make a few calls and have a few arbos show up to do duty.

Peace!

oldoakman

Ahhh..the end of a most pleasant day...of service. My day was spent at Ft. Snelling here in Minneapolis. I lost count of the clam truck loads went to the dump.

Lots of pruning...some removals...some PHC and many of comrades on rope!

There are 215,000 buried at Ft. Snelling Cemetery. Three I know, Dad's Dad, Mom's sis and her husband.

My brother Jim was at Dallas-Ft. Worth Cemetery and pruned the trees along the walkway near Dad's grave. He left Dad a bit of sawdust.

Attending the TCIA DoS @ Arlington was a real honor many years ago. Then, Andersonville with Eric. All good, heart-felt work for our Veterans and families.

While I walk to and fro at these events I try to read as many gravestones as possible. It's said that we don't die until no one talks about us. Reading their names keeps them alive.

Start planning for next year. If there isn't a National Cemetery nearby with a host, become the host. Not hard to make a few calls and have a few arbos show up to do duty.

Peace!
X2

yoyoman

Sounds like such a good thing! Thanks for all the updates, I have to be there next year, just could not make it happen this time.