Salt Damage

JD3000

What are your thoughts on putting down a "preventative" gypsum application for trees shrubs and turf areas near driveways, roads, and parking lots now before salt applications really get going?

RopeShield

i have no idea maybe it would wash away?
will you work it in, aerate, rake it in
might be easier to wash it away if it gets real bad

JD3000

It would just be a quick application to the ground. I suppose some could wash away with heavy rain on a slope but I bet most will slowly dissolve and move into the soil.

The thought is some gypsum now, followed by another light application in late winter to typically problematic areas will help leach the Na out of the soil. Hopefully, less damage to plants.

Jem4417

Explaining salt damage to customers is a good sell. Even if they don't go for any preventives, they appreciate the knowledge about their trees

802climber

@JD3000
I was hoping to pick your brain on gypsum for a moment. How much gypsum do you consider to be the maximum per application? I am assuming it is like lime where you can easily overdo it? I am trying to treat a large arborvitae that is right next to the road and the soil has been confirmed to be very high in Na. Soil test was done in July so just imagine how high it was just after winter. Soluble salts came back low on this test, not sure if they already leached out or what. Soil is pretty compacted so I am thinking of incorporating some gypsum in there this fall with the Airspade and keeping an eye on it. As for how much gypsum to apply, the tree is 26" DBH with approx 40' crown spread.. Any info would be much appreciated.

JD3000

If your SS is low, you may not have a huge problem though the Na can stick around for some time depending on the CEC and texture of the soil.

I would have to check some labeling and whatnot but I think 10-20 lbs gypsum per 1000 sqft would be on the lower/safer side. Just make sure you already dont have high S already.

If your SS is low, you may not have a huge problem though the Na can stick around for some time depending on the CEC and texture of the soil.

I would have to check some labeling and whatnot but I think 10-20 lbs gypsum per 1000 sqft would be on the lower/safer side. Just make sure you already dont have high S already.
Thanks, already have very low S and high metals so gypsum would be "perfect"