Route Planning for Quotes

Reach

So for years I have been doing my own route planning when I drive around to look at projects. However, now that I am looking at ten or fifteen a day when I go out, it is getting more difficult to plan a route that is as efficient as possible.

I have just tried an iPhone app this week for the first time, it seems to be working somewhat, but it’s not really ideal for what I am doing. Does anybody have a system they use that really works well for planning the most efficient route between stops? I rarely actually meet with customers, so the order of stops does not matter, minimizing my drive time is most important.

southsoundtree

Seems like planning is part of it, and then adjusting on the fly. Use GPS to verify drive times on the route you intend to take. If there is an accident on the highway, you may exit just in time to not get stuck. Also, just watch ahead to see if things are 'off' for the time of day. I've been on both sides.

The adjusting can also be that you are running early or late, and will hit or miss rush hour. We have a bad bottleneck in Olympia at rush hour, surrounding the Capitol. This is a factor for me, weekdays. Can add a bunch of time. Local factors apply!

Friday traffic seems to be chronically the worst.

theatertech87

I use road warrior, i have it on android, so it might not be available on ios... BUT it should do everything you want. Put all your addresses in, and a start and end location (usually I have this set as wherever I am, and ending at the shop) and it plots the most efficient route through all of them. Gives you a read out or route length (miles and time), it also allows you to input length of stop (default is 30 minutes) so you can see how long your overall day is going to take. I haven't used the feature, but it is supposed to also allow you to route yourself to certain stops at certain times (say if you're scheduled to meet with the customer). Can also add stops and recalculate on new routes. Actual turn by turn directions is handed off to your app of choice for navigation (i personally use google maps)

Theres a free trial of it available that's limited to ~10 or so stops, and a half dozen or so routes per day. More than sufficient for me, but should be good enough to get you started and see if you like it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roadwarrior.android

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
I've had GPs with 'sales route planning'...juts what @theatertech87 is speaking of.

I had a street map of my work area laminated onto foam board. It was mounted on the wall of my office. One color round head push pins for sold jobs, different for estimates. It was easier to look at the map than fire up a computer. This was years ago but an efficient system to see at a glance what was going on.

evo

Can’t help much, cause I have such a small service area. I meet with 95% of my clients, which helps me close most of the quotes. I have my bid day and a flexible day.
I call back give them the talk of what my bid day is, and I will call them back to schedule a specific time for them so I am not a human ping pong ball. It works well for the most part. My service area is 5 miles wide and 15 miles long, rarely 30+ miles, but I charge a fee which is taken off the bill if I get the job.

This can bite me in the butt, but weeds out the tire kickers fairly fast. I also have a minimum charge for easy small jobs. If I schedule it right I can make more than my daily goal by doing 3 minimum jobs and still get home before the kid is comes home from school.

matdand

I think Jobber has this feature. I've never used it, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

You can also add multiple destinations in google maps.

ATLTree

So for years I have been doing my own route planning when I drive around to look at projects. However, now that I am looking at ten or fifteen a day when I go out, it is getting more difficult to plan a route that is as efficient as possible.

I have just tried an iPhone app this week for the first time, it seems to be working somewhat, but it’s not really ideal for what I am doing. Does anybody have a system they use that really works well for planning the most efficient route between stops? I rarely actually meet with customers, so the order of stops does not matter, minimizing my drive time is most important.
Hey Reach,

I tried out this new software called SingleOps, which has a specific feature for route planning. It is fully integrated with Google Maps and will you show you the most efficient route possible based on the addresses put into the program's calendar. I highly recommend trying it out.

OasisTree

I think Jobber has this feature. I've never used it, but I'm pretty sure it's there.

You can also add multiple destinations in google maps.
Jobber is what I use...it does require some input, which my secretary does when the clients call in. But once a bid task is placed on a day, it is easy to route them in order for that day.

evo

Jobber is what I use...it does require some input, which my secretary does when the clients call in. But once a bid task is placed on a day, it is easy to route them in order for that day.
I don’t have an office staff, just me. But I’ve integrated in their form on my web page to the client porthole. If I get a call and don’t have paper and pen I just ask the caller to fill out the work request on my site. Then it’s all there!