Ropetek Wraptor redesign

pctree

So here at Ropetek I'm sorry to say my best friend and machinist is battling cancer. The current version of the Wraptor is pretty difficult to make so I'm trying to design an easier to make version

Since we are brain storming I would like to invite current Wraptor users to make suggestions as to any improvements

southsoundtree

Electric, up and down.

Gas, protect the twist grip might be burlier than that plastic trigger.

Stronger cage, underneath. I don't know how mine broke...I do have employees moving gear around, though.

Protect the carb area to prevent the rope from getting in there when lowering midline from the canopy, and prevent sticks from getting in there.

Capture the heat from the engine to make steam for a ready-to-drink espresso when you get to the top...Coffee Break-style!

Are there off-the-shelf batteries that are readily available. Getting in bed with a giant corp, not my idea of fun, nor Paul's, I'm Guessing.

pctree

Electric is becoming more viable with improved battery technology.

I really don't want to go back to square one to make it reversible but have some ideas that may make it better for working the tree.

Tree guys are notoriously rough on gear so I will try for a very durable design

southsoundtree

Could some kinda plastic shroud work? Needs air-in, exhaust and heat-out.

As its a drill-motor, what's the road-block with getting a reversible drill? I thought that was just an option that you wanted to avoid making it up-only, not for working? Are you not using a drill-motor anymore? I recall those were going out of production or something.

southsoundtree

I hear that other ascender has some sorta of rope-chewing feature. Maybe look into that. My wraptor rope/ other ropes looks too new! ;)

pctree

I can't believe they are selling those! Omg talk about liability issue, wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't lead to criminal charges.

Yes tanaka discontinued the drills which really messed me up. Current version uses honda 4 stroke matched with a custom planetary gearbox which drove our build cost way up

Jehinten

I hear that other ascender has some sorta of rope-chewing feature. Maybe look into that. My wraptor rope/ other ropes looks too new! ;)

I'm not in the market, but I'm interested in reading up on that. Has there been a discussion on here about chewing up ropes?

colb

The one that @Santiago Casanova made makes use of third party batteries without there being a business/liability relationship, so that seems like a good route. Can you formalize that?

pctree

The one that @Santiago Casanova made makes use of third party batteries without there being a business/liability relationship, so that seems like a good route. Can you formalize that?
what do you mean by "formalize" that. ?

I don't believe he is selling his is he?

I feel like when you start selling a product it's a whole different kettle of fish to sharing ideas online.

Bart_

Hi All,
I made a wraptor inspired electric ascender some years ago that looked somewhat like Santiago's device except I machined up the sheaves myself and it was awkwardly large and placed when in use. It did work so I refined it to a small unit that tucks in under your bridge about the size and weight of a 200T, well actually smaller. Going to production is a real problem, with liability and duplication of the optimized engineering of commercial drills and batteries being discouraging. So it's a one off. And getting to the engineering level of the drill manufacturers is a big hill to climb. And using their drill parts is kind of precluded. So ........ stalemate Also optimizing size and rope compatibility is irritating, so mine is designed for tachyon rope. It's midline attachable (goes below your hitch/wrench) , goes on your SRT line, is reversible and lasted an afternoon during a removal. Only one person has seen pics of it but I don't want to drop names. Plus you need two hands to descend position, one on the trigger and the other on your hitch. I found the freewheel sheave drag too much to pop the clutch and just cruise down on the hitch. So you spool out some rope then hitch decent for small down adjustments. As I said, stalemate ...

colb

what do you mean by "formalize" that. ?

I don't believe he is selling his is he?

I feel like when you start selling a product it's a whole different kettle of fish to sharing ideas online.
I guess what I mean is can you sell a device that Anyone can pick up their dewalt/milwaukee/makita/etc. drill, plug it in to the ascender, and go up their climbing line?

I'm not aware that Santiago is selling anything, but that's his question to answer. It seems like he is not trying to fabricate anything, and you might be trying to fabricate something.

The main point I'm sensing is that the current raptor has been great for over a decade, but I'm sensing that it will be hard to be successful with gas technology going forward. Since lithium tech is advancing most within the major construction tool companies, the next raptor should incorporate one or more of their systems/tools. Since you can't partner with them due to liability, you've got to fabricate the rope management part of the device.

I'm curious about which lithium power unit is best - a chainsaw or a drill...

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I think you may want to think carefully about utilizing a cordless electrical device. You might fall into the same problem that arose when Tanaka stopped manufacturing the particular 2 cycle engine that the Wraptor currently utilizes. If you decide to make it so that it can run on the power supplied from a right angle drill, just make sure that, similar to the GRCS, the drill interface is universal and can be utilized with any cordless right angle drill, which offers sufficient power and torque.

I wouldn't worry about using it under power to descend. Anyone familiar with the Wraptor knows how easy it is to descend off of the device at any point of ascent. I'd much rather be able to simply unclip a carabiner and immediately abseil to the ground if need be, than to have to rely on the gear-reduced speed of an electric drill to take me away from a newly discovered hornets nest or bee colony.

theatertech87

Im curious about which lithium power unit is best - a chainsaw or a drill...
Can't speak to the chainsaws, but the Milwaukee m18 cordless super hawg will lift 350lbs with a GRCS

As to the wraptor itself, I haven't gotten a chance to use one. I definitely see the benefit, just don't do enough big climbs to justify it. However I could see something designed like a chainsaw winch, with a bring your own power head kind of thing being possibly a simpler way of doing things. That would even leave it open for battery powered saws if they get better in the future

theatertech87

Also, while the ability to work/decent off of the wraptor is I'm sure nice, having the decent portion built into the ascender, would allow for escape in the event of catastrophic failure of the wraptor, where it will no longer stay stationary on the line