Rope Wrench optimized for larger lines?

Hey guys, am I the only one that isn't really into gripping skinny lines all the time? I do, because that's what works with my wrench the best, but it would be amazing if there was, say, a larger size optimized for larger ropes.

I don't want to fiddle with hand ascenders or having to wear grippy gloves in the heat of summer, and I also don't love setting up a 3:1 for every limb walk I'd easily do with DRT.

So with that being said, I'm not interested in workarounds for using a sub 13mm rope. I'm moreso interested to hear if other people feel the same way, and if there's anything coming down the pipes that I'd be excited about, like an up-sized wrench.

I think Kevin Bingham has shared previously the tools/software/resources he has had success with in creating the wrench. Anybody want to make one?

Jehinten

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect that you would just need the wrench to be a little wider. If that's all that's needed, some spacers and longer bolts would fix that. If you need a little more space between the pulley and pin, a machine shop should be able to mill the pulley slightly smaller.

I don't have the specs of the pulley, but there may be some replacement options available that might work. I seem to remember a pulley sheeve that slips onto a carabiner or shackle. Might be a good size?

Obviously if anything happened after alteration, singing tree could not be held responsible.

On the other hand, it really isn't that hard to build your own wrench from scratch, if you wanted to. It just wouldn't look as good, at least mine doesn't. :)

Burrapeg

I could be wrong, but I'd suspect that you would just need the wrench to be a little wider. If that's all that's needed, some spacers and longer bolts would fix that. If you need a little more space between the pulley and pin, a machine shop should be able to mill the pulley slightly smaller.

I don't have the specs of the pulley, but there may be some replacement options available that might work. I seem to remember a pulley sheeve that slips onto a carabiner or shackle. Might be a good size?

Obviously if anything happened after alteration, singing tree could not be held responsible.

On the other hand, it really isn't that hard to build your own wrench from scratch, if you wanted to. It just wouldn't look as good, at least mine doesn't. :)
I made my own. This is working great on fat Tachyon Ash which is 13mm. Used a Distel or a Knut under it til I got the ZigZag; worked good like that too. I have a Bone now but still like this setup sometimes.blob.jpg

Jehinten

I am primarily on a hitchhiker, and once I'm ready to go to the wrench I will buy the ZK2, but for now I just wanted to try it out to see if I'd like it. My wrench works good with vortex which is 12.7mm. That's the closest to a full 1/2" that I own besides rigging ropes.

DSMc

I no longer have a RW but can't remember 1/2" rope being a problem with it. It is rated for 9/16" or 14mm.

TimBr

Hey guys, am I the only one that isn't really into gripping skinny lines all the time? I do, because that's what works with my wrench the best, but it would be amazing if there was, say, a larger size optimized for larger ropes.

I don't want to fiddle with hand ascenders or having to wear grippy gloves in the heat of summer, and I also don't love setting up a 3:1 for every limb walk I'd easily do with DRT.

So with that being said, I'm not interested in workarounds for using a sub 13mm rope. I'm moreso interested to hear if other people feel the same way, and if there's anything coming down the pipes that I'd be excited about, like an up-sized wrench.

I think Kevin Bingham has shared previously the tools/software/resources he has had success with in creating the wrench. Anybody want to make one?
I just checked the specs on the Rope Wrench, and it says it's rated for ropes between 11mm and 13 mm. Which has me wondering if you've already tried using it with a 13mm rope, and found it lacking, somehow? I'd love to hear your feedback on this. Maybe the actual useful range of rope sizes is smaller. Thanks.

Tim

Edit: Here's a link to TreeStuff's web page for the Rope Wrench.

http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1912&item=15700#detail

Ryan Keats

I run my rope wrench on vortex a lot; I love how they both perform. Vortex is a 12.7mm rope and my wrench doesn't have an issue at all. It's not quite 13mm but it's close. What rope are you climbing on?

I'm aware of what the manufacturer suggests... I have used everything from 12 mm 48 strand static lines to 13 mm 16 strand xtc.

Anything bigger than 12mm, and especially something without a tightly woven cover, will not run well on descent, and leaves fuzzies all over the slic pin from rubbing fibers off the rope.

I know how to get the wrench to work well, however it doesn't work well with larger lines, and skinny lines are harder to grip, necessitating 3:1's where I could have just muscled through a limb walk 1:1 with a fatter line

I should mention I use tachyon a lot too... the skinnier, the more responsive the hitch performs because there isn't as much bend as with a fatter line.

Jehinten

Granted I am using a non production model rope wrench, but I was playing around with a schwabisch with 10mm beeline on vortex. It was very smooth decent. I tied it with 3 wraps on top and one on bottom.

Burrapeg

I should mention I use tachyon a lot too... the skinnier, the more responsive the hitch performs because there isn't as much bend as with a fatter line.
With my homemade wrench (photo above) I had some issue with it being less responsive and smooth than I wanted on the 13mm Ash but solved this when I tried contouring the two bollards to fit the radius of the rope. Made all the difference and also seems a lot kinder to the rope. Very smooth now with either a Distel or Knut or the ZigZag.

I use my RW on 1/2" XTC fire & it works well for me. I have an 11mm or 12mm rope (can't remember) but I mainly use that for DdRT and the XTC for SRT. I like the larger 1/2" to climb since it's a bit easier on the hands.

--andrew

John@TreeXP

I made my own. This is working great on fat Tachyon Ash which is 13mm. Used a Distel or a Knut under it til I got the ZigZag; worked good like that too. I have a Bone now but still like this setup sometimes.View attachment 49978
I'm a fan of the Zig Zag for MRS and I've tried the ZigZag with a RW, but am still concerned that it goes beyond the primary scope of the device's intended use, which is why Petzl recommends a backup descender like a fig 8 with a set up like yours, during a descent. Don't you think you may be putting a bit too much wear and reliance on the ZZ, with the RW on SRT?

My favorite RW hitch knot is a Michocan/Martin on either HTC /11mm or Samson Predator, also 11mm. Favorite/smoothest hitch cord is bee line 8mm, 28" eye & eye, for the RW, but that was last season. This season, I'm going with a Uni and next season, hopefully the Akimbo.

Last edited:

Burrapeg

I'm a fan of the Zig Zag for MRS and I've tried the ZigZag with a RW, but am still concerned that it goes beyond the primary scope of the device's intended use, which is why Petzl recommends a backup descender like a fig 8 with a set up like yours, during a descent. Don't you think you may be putting a bit too much wear and reliance on the ZZ, with the RW on SRT?
Well, it releases fairly gently and I don't get any feeling that the ZigZag is overloaded or stressed. But then my homebrew RW may work a bit differently than a production model. It may be taking more of the load. In any case, I have moved towards my new Bone for most actual ascents, with the RW/ZZ combo along for traverses mainly. The Bone is mid-line attachable and thus much simpler to deploy, although I think it is a bit harsher on the rope. Time will tell on that score, as I haven't gotten many hours in so far with the weather only now clearing up with Spring coming on.

Burrapeg

Meant to add to my comments above that I feel a more significant weakness of the ZZ is the narrow neck of the swivel if the ZZ is side-loaded to any real degree. I simply don't use it most of the time, with the combination attached to my bridge as in the photo above.