Rope Wrench - Hitch/Rope compendium.

Brocky

Thanks Tim, the pictures are pages from my ongoing collection of friction hitches, which are on 3x4 cards, that I can hang from a rope to easily reference when tying. I've drawn them in an exploded view so that the hitch can be tied by just looking at the one picture. I hope I was successful and others can tell what is going on. I've tried taking pictures of real hitches but wasn't satisfied with the results.

One thing I meant to add regarding two legged hitches that I have never seen addressed, but might just be intuitive, is that both legs should be checked to make sure they equally tensioned. I've had hitches that would work perfectly one time and then next time it wouldn't grab and finally figured out I had to check the tension of the eyes.

TimBr

Thanks Tim, the pictures are pages from my ongoing collection of friction hitches, which are on 3x4 cards, that I can hang from a rope to easily reference when tying. I've drawn them in an exploded view so that the hitch can be tied by just looking at the one picture. I hope I was successful and others can tell what is going on. I've tried taking pictures of real hitches but wasn't satisfied with the results.

One thing I meant to add regarding two legged hitches that I have never seen addressed, but might just be intuitive, is that both legs should be checked to make sure they equally tensioned. I've had hitches that would work perfectly one time and then next time it wouldn't grab and finally figured out I had to check the tension of the eyes.
You are right; I have never seen this addressed before, to the best of my recollection. Thanks for the tip, and for thinking to mention it.

Tim

After reading this thread I decided to make a few changes. I just ordered 200ft of Blue Moon, Singing Tree rope wrench pulley, 9.3 Epicord (28" eye to eye), and a Rope Logic fix tether to upgrade my kit more toward SRT use. I am a 195lb, 62yr old new climber...yeah I know :), trying to learn by doing some work on some my own property. Been doing SRT with the Arborplex and 8mm prusik that came with my combo kit, so the change to a 24 strand and a thicker prusik should be nice.

Many thanks to all of you for your input into this thread, as its already cured my major problem of hitch binding due to setting the prusik by hand after ascent to minimize setback, instead of just allowing it to set on its own properly engaging the rope wrench. This alone naturally made a huge difference. Now I can't wait to try out the new gear and some different wraps like a 5 wrap Michoacan (been using a 3x3 VT) and see what works best for me.

After reading this thread I decided to make a few changes. I just ordered 200ft of Blue Moon, Singing Tree rope wrench pulley, 9.3 Epicord (28" eye to eye), and a Rope Logic fix tether to upgrade my kit more toward SRT use. I am a 195lb, 62yr old new climber...yeah I know :), trying to learn by doing some work on some my own property. Been doing SRT with the Arborplex and 8mm prusik that came with my combo kit, so the change to a 24 strand and a thicker prusik should be nice.

Many thanks to all of you for your input into this thread, as its already cured my major problem of hitch binding due to setting the prusik by hand after ascent to minimize setback, instead of just allowing it to set on its own properly engaging the rope wrench. This alone naturally made a huge difference. Now I can't wait to try out the new gear and some different wraps like a 5 wrap Michoacan (been using a 3x3 VT) and see what works best for me.
Just an update, for whatever reason my setup with the 9.3 Epicord would not hold without slipping whether tied with a Michoacán or a VT, however with a 9.3 RIT I had and it worked great in either configuration and with the Michoacán sets instantly and so far never binds even when bouncing to overload it. Not sure if the Epi does not like my 195+ gear weight or the blue moon rope but its for sure not happy with one of the two.

Last edited:

Worthaug

Get 10mm Epi for your weight and the Blue Moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ßrit

Teufelberger 9.3mm epicord sewn eye & eye - 28" length made into a 4/1 Distel on 11.7 Yale Scandere. I'm 235 pounds. Quick to bite and allows micro adjustments when descending. (y)

-Brit

TimBr

Yo, @ßrit! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! Great first post, congratulations!

How are you liking the 11.7mm Yale Scandere rope?

Thanks in advance for any further comments you'd like to make.

Tim

I searched for something like this endlessley when I first adopted the rope wrench system and added it to my VT for my first ever SRT experience. It was awful! Hitch binding on descent was the worst. It took me a lot of trial and error and searching different combinations of Rope diameter/hitch type/hitch cord to really dial it in.

I propose to anyone that reads this, if you have a system that works very well for you, type out what combination you use as well as your body weight. I will write out body weight categories and as you respond I'll fill them in, so that anyone searching for a combination that functions well can simply look at their body weight and see a combo that has been tried tested and true.

145lbs - (4 up 1 down Michoacan / 8mm beeline 23-24" long. / On NE fly)

(9.3 epicord, 4/1 micho, Samson velocity.)

(10mm armor pruss, 3/3 vt, tach)

155lbs - (Hh2, 6 wraps of hrc on sterling tendril)
(3 wrap 2.5 braid VT Tachyon, Imori, +1 wrap for Kernmaster.28" spliced 10mm Armor prus)

165lbs - (4/1 michoacan with 9.3 epicord on kernmaster)

175lbs -

185lbs - (Poison Ivy 11.7mm/ 5 over 3 VT / Oceans 8mm)

(New England KM III MAX 7/16" with 4/1 Distel and 9mm ArbPro 26" or 9mm Epicord 26")

(Yale 11.7mm AZTEC with 4/1 Distel and 10mm Ocean Polyester 28" or 10mm EpiCord 28")

(any Yale 11.7 or Cougar or Tachyon or Escalator (any rope really) 3/ 3 VT with 9.3 mm EpiCord.)

195lbs - (NE KM III Max 9.3 Epicord, hand spliced 31" VT 4/2.5 alternating with Michoacan 4/1 to extend life of hitch cord)

(Cougar Blue 28" sewn 9.3 Epi 3/4VT)

205lbs -

220lbs - (Arbormaster( Bigfoot) 10mm AP tied at 24.5" 3x3 VT bottom cross on the tether side of the RW)

265lbs - (Htp addiction 11mm/ 4 over 3/ 9mm arbpro)

335lbs- (5over 1 Michocan with 8mm 30" armour prus or a 6 over 1mm armour prus 32")

VT ?i can't understand help please?

moss

Has anyone actually proved that climber weight makes a difference for hitch/rope wrench performance? I have my doubts. I believe climbing line construction and diameter, and hitch cord diameter and construction, and hitch configuration are the majority of it. Climber weight could well be only 15% if the formula or even less. If there is data let’s see it.
-AJ

Last edited:

moss

To follow up, I weigh approx 132lbs without clothes/gear etc. I had a childhood autoimmune disease that wiped out the majority of my subcutaneous fat never to return. So... my preferred hitch configuration in any of the popular cordage constructions is a 5/1 Michoacan is 10mm or 9.5 mm (for epi or warp speed II). That’s on Tachyon or Yale double braids like PI etc. Does that sound like the formula for a very thin person? So you can see why I have my doubts about “climber weight” based formulas for hitch cord diameter etc.
-AJ