Rope Wrench - Hitch/Rope compendium.

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by Drewtree, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

That's pretty much how it came

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

2. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

Huh. I guess I'm on one.
    It happens.

3. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Brocky; Really nice illustrations. I'm assuming that those images are your original works of art, and probably recently done for the purpose of answering the questions from this thread. If so, nicely done, and thanks for all of your hard work on behalf of the rest of us.

Tim

4. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Thanks Tim, the pictures are pages from my ongoing collection of friction hitches, which are on 3x4 cards, that I can hang from a rope to easily reference when tying. I've drawn them in an exploded view so that the hitch can be tied by just looking at the one picture. I hope I was successful and others can tell what is going on. I've tried taking pictures of real hitches but wasn't satisfied with the results.

One thing I meant to add regarding two legged hitches that I have never seen addressed, but might just be intuitive, is that both legs should be checked to make sure they equally tensioned. I've had hitches that would work perfectly one time and then next time it wouldn't grab and finally figured out I had to check the tension of the eyes.

Levi.CO, TimBr and 802climber like this.
  5. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

You are right; I have never seen this addressed before, to the best of my recollection. Thanks for the tip, and for thinking to mention it.

Tim

Brocky likes this.
  6. Stuart French

Stuart French Member

Couger blue with 10mm ocean poly, 5 wrap michocan....I'm about 200lbs and it works great.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  7. Drewtree

Drewtree Well-Known Member

Bump, please sticky this.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  8. SingleJack

SingleJack Active Member

Rope Wrench - Pinto - Tether - Petroacan.jpg
    Rope Wrench, short tether, Petroacán Hitch {v.Michoacán}, Pinto, Yale Blaze.

JustinK, Worthaug and TimBr like this.
  9. jmaher

jmaher Well-Known Member

11mm velocity hot/9.3 epicord/3 wrap 3 braid vt/notch double tether/hitch climber pulley. 145 poundish

TimBr and Worthaug like this.
  10. New2trees

New2trees Member

After reading this thread I decided to make a few changes. I just ordered 200ft of Blue Moon, Singing Tree rope wrench pulley, 9.3 Epicord (28" eye to eye), and a Rope Logic fix tether to upgrade my kit more toward SRT use. I am a 195lb, 62yr old new climber...yeah I know :), trying to learn by doing some work on some my own property. Been doing SRT with the Arborplex and 8mm prusik that came with my combo kit, so the change to a 24 strand and a thicker prusik should be nice.

Many thanks to all of you for your input into this thread, as its already cured my major problem of hitch binding due to setting the prusik by hand after ascent to minimize setback, instead of just allowing it to set on its own properly engaging the rope wrench. This alone naturally made a huge difference. Now I can't wait to try out the new gear and some different wraps like a 5 wrap Michoacan (been using a 3x3 VT) and see what works best for me.

TimBr likes this.
  11. New2trees

New2trees Member

Just an update, for whatever reason my setup with the 9.3 Epicord would not hold without slipping whether tied with a Michoacán or a VT, however with a 9.3 RIT I had and it worked great in either configuration and with the Michoacán sets instantly and so far never binds even when bouncing to overload it. Not sure if the Epi does not like my 195+ gear weight or the blue moon rope but its for sure not happy with one of the two.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    TimBr likes this.
  12. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

Get 10mm Epi for your weight and the Blue Moon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  13. ßrit

ßrit New Member

Teufelberger 9.3mm epicord sewn eye & eye - 28" length made into a 4/1 Distel on 11.7 Yale Scandere. I'm 235 pounds. Quick to bite and allows micro adjustments when descending. (y)

-Brit

TimBr likes this.
  14. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

Yo, @ßrit! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! Great first post, congratulations!

How are you liking the 11.7mm Yale Scandere rope?

Thanks in advance for any further comments you'd like to make.

Tim