Rope Wrench - Hitch/Rope compendium.

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by Drewtree, Aug 2, 2016.

1. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

That's exactly what it is... with the rope attached to a Rock Exotica shackle swivel, on this one. I can pull the pin on the swivel's shackle and put a pulley in there, and use it with a MRT (DdRT) setup, too, with a pulley at the TIP. Can still install and retrieve it from the ground.

SomethingWitty likes this.
  2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I'm digging that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

3. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

It's not for everybody, but at my age I'd rather spend a little extra time setting anchors from the ground and less time in the tree. I also try to make everything last forever (not possible, but I try anyway) so I really like a pulley at the TIP for MRT because the rope loves it and it's easier on my old ass when I need to move up. This works really slick for me.

The current project is one that lets me use an OmniBlock 2.6 for the pulley. Obviously, for rigging. It's not as fast as setting up all the rigging with a bucket truck or a lift, but it is one hell of a lot cheaper!

TimBr and Tyler Durden like this.
  4. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Now that I am really digging. I love remote rigging points, and am alway looking for new ideas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

5. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Installs very much like a ring-and-ring friction saver, with a couple of added steps and considerations. Retrieves with a 1/8" retieval line you attach during installation in the tree. The rigging version is like the DdRT version, in that I use a throwline placed in the pulley (twice as long as installation height) during the install, so the rope never gets dragged through the crotch, even unweighted. That's a lot of rope wear that never happens, if you care about such things. The SRT version, the climb line gets dragged through the crotch on installation and retrieval, although it is unweighted, at least.

Anyway, the prototype for the rigging version is too butt ugly to photograph, so you'll have to wait for me to build a prettier one.

:D

TimBr and Tyler Durden like this.
  6. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Love this thread as I have just recently become a RW man. Can't get enough of that thing.

Been fooling around with the ZZ on DdRT as well and then it hit me "Why not run the ZZ and wrench together?!" I tried it on several different lines 11-13mm and it was so fast on both and bites hard too.

So my question is: has anyone tried this setup? Thoughts? Also, any safety issues I should be concerned about? I think I remember hearing that the manufacture of the ZZ doesn't recommended it to be used for SRT but can't confirm.

Oh and Happy Thanksgiving Buzzers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  7. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

I used the zz and wrench for over a year and it was the tits! I never had a single issue. It was near perfection.

TimBr and Kris Fugate like this.
  8. Worthaug

Worthaug Well-Known Member

Just sucks that it's not midline...

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

SomethingWitty likes this.
  9. Worthaug

Just sucks that it's not midline...

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

10. JustinK

JustinK Well-Known Member

Feel so strongly about it you had to tell us twice did ya?

I need to switch mine up. I like the consistency that my current set up is giving me, doesn't bind, ever, but it's not quite loose enough to pay out freely enough to reliably make a big jump.

Still can't say enough about the 9.3 Epi. I've tried burning it out just to see how fast I can, still going strong, especially rubbing it across a little rough bark to get what little glazing I might have on it, off. Looking for excessive wear obviously. Works great to get the memory out of the e2e too.

TimBr likes this.
  11. Worthaug

Not sure why it did that, tried to delete one, didn't work. FML

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

12. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Which 9.3 is it?

13. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Truth

14. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Member

IMG_0100.JPG I've been through every tether, hitch cord, pulley out there and this is my go to. I have actually gone back to using the wrench over the runner because this works so well. Im #160.
    Rope Logic single eye tether(best yet, built in attachment works perfect and the length is perfect)
    11.7 Blue Moon, Aztec whatever there calling it nowadays.
    Petzl Am'D Triact.
    ISC Rope Wrench pulley.
    28" 9.3 Epi Cord with 5 wrap Petroacan.
    One thing I did was with the ISC rope wrench pulley is I took a rubber mallet and on a 2x4 bent the eyes of the pulley inward(not much). It seemed to help allow this whole setup to fit better on a typical oval biner and also allow the pulley to move despite having the eyes of the hitch cord press on it(if that makes any sense). In addition my ascent setup is a 4 SRT chest harness, CT homemade knee ascender and the new style Petzl pantin.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
    Worthaug likes this.
  15. Worthaug

@swingdue is gonna love this!

Reed Wortley
    CA# SO-6953A
    CTSP# 01739

16. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Hi @Steve Baker, being a hitch whore, I am wondering if petrochan is the name of your hitch or did your device help you with the spelling? If it isn't a Michoacan could you show a front view of it? I think I know how to tie it but really can't tell from the picture. Thanks, Bob.

17. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Member

IMG_0105.JPG IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0103.JPG IMG_0102.JPG Bob, this is a Michoacan but with the bottom legs of the hitch coming straight down as opposed to crossing below lower wrap. I heard it called that by fellow comp climber Michael Blankenship. Apparently Cory Petry started tying it that way, hence Petroacan.

18. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve, for those very good pictures showing how it's tied. Photos that I take aren't clear enough, I'll have rethink how I do it.

As for the hitch, if I'm seeing it right, it is a Michoacán that's been turned 180 degrees and the tails naturally clipped the opposite way.

The third picture from the top shows this best. Take the carabiner and pulley away and bring the eyes forward and it's a Michoacán.

I'm not sure the Official International Friction Hitch Commitee would consider it a different hitch!

19. WaitakKauri

WaitakKauri Well-Known Member

I tie my michoacan, then rotate it 180. When tending, it keeps my line from rubbing against my tether. Less friction for smoother tend. This is when running an ISC fixed plate micro pulley. HC wouldn't have this issue.

I think I've mentioned this before, but maybe in another thread. Sorry for any repeat.

Brocky likes this.
  20. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Member

Correct

Brocky likes this.