Rope wrench for >$15

Ha I am too cheap to by one and have been experimenting with different ways to get the right amount of friction but also the release when I am ascending

Neat, a hinge. Can you show the setup or elaborate at all? I mean the first pictures I saw of the rope wrench it was made from a hammer handle... so show it off!

I can suppose I can elaborate , the hinge I used was perfect because once I cut off the pin I flipped one plate around and the predrilled holes
lined up perfectly. I used a screw inside a pin which stays in at all times an two multi hole pins and two snap pins and two plastic spacers to cover the holes that aren't used they also keep the plates apart

Jehinten

Here is the one that I made from a hinge. I later added a wooden pulley with a brass sleeve, a welded tab to prevent the wrench from inverting past the tether and after this pic I replaced the button pin with a slic pin.

It seems to work well, although hardly ever gets used. I've been focusing on using the HH2 but was curious what it was like to climb on a wrench. 20181015_062334.jpg

FluffyFish

Keep posting your progress please :) . I am planning on making one to fit a 9mm rope and am searching for all the tips I can get. ...The first company to offer an ascender/descender that works in a ropewalking system on 9mm gets all my money.

Bob Bob

I can suppose I can elaborate , the hinge I used was perfect because once I cut off the pin I flipped one plate around and the predrilled holes
lined up perfectly. I used a screw inside a pin which stays in at all times an two multi hole pins and two snap pins and two plastic spacers to cover the holes that aren't used they also keep the plates apart
Very neat idea using the hinge plates, it would really save a good bit of cutting, grinding and drilling.

Does anybody know what the diameter of the tether attachment sleeve is on the RW? Planning to use a shorty tether from TS.

Last edited:
Keep posting your progress please :) . I am planning on making one to fit a 9mm rope and am searching for all the tips I can get. ...The first company to offer an ascender/descender that works in a ropewalking system on 9mm gets all my money.
I caught that you were saying something like that in the Taz thread.

If you'd just bump it up to 10-11mm, there is suddenly a plethora of options for functional systems. There are reasons for this, too.