rope walking

lync

My 2 cents. The chin strap may work efficently, but it was not the manufacters intent to design a fair lead chinstrap. Althought the helmet itself protects the head, it only works if the helmet is in place. A climbing helmet is only half a helmet without the chinstrap. If a fall(not to the ground) or a swing occurs the chinstrap retains the helmet for second and third head impacts. If body positioning, branches or other equiptment cause the chinstrap to become unfastened the entire helmet may fall or be knocked off, resulting in no head protection against secondary impacacts.
A proper fair lead should be substituted. PPE should not be altered by the user. The helmet(and its chinstrap) are part of the PPE.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Cary love that set up and now that I started using the wrench at work that is the next set up adding to the lonely pantin. After your encouragement I should have started working with it as soon as I got it in January but better late than never.

[ QUOTE ]
Cary love that set up and now that I started using the wrench at work that is the next set up adding to the lonely pantin. After your encouragement I should have started working with it as soon as I got it in January but better late than never.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh mon

Bixler

Well done Cary, I always end up copying your set up! I like the bungee over the shoulder, you got moxy man

[ QUOTE ]
Got my throwbag stuck again up a pine tree in the front yard, so I used my 35' long Tachyon to cinch with an alpine butterfly and mallion on a branch 30' up, with the target throwline. Rigged a rope walking system, using my OAR fastened on the harness at the bottom, and an adjustable chest loop at the top. It pulls along very well and has almost no sitback which is nice. This is the best system for ascent that I have tried to date. The limb walk was nerve racking to get out to the stuck throwbag, but I got it back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMbG5M9Kvc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice music, it would go great with a tree vid.

-Oh, and pretty clever clipping it to the chinstrap. Thanks for sharing. It's a for sure use at your own risk kinda thing eh? Tom thanks for sharing what your Petzl buddy says. It's gotta be nice having friends in with petzl huh? "oh I got some extra gear here you Tom!"
what's your vector victor?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Cary,

Nice setup...Having the bungee connected to the center/rear of your harness belt makes for a tidy setup.

What I found was that the bungee that attaches to the top of the upper or chest ascender in a 'walker' system needs to have a lot of length in the system in order to stay snug during the steps upward. This is especially important when the chest ascender floats like you have it. If it's too short I found that it would tug or go slack.

[ QUOTE ]
Cary,

Nice setup...Having the bungee connected to the center/rear of your harness belt makes for a tidy setup.

What I found was that the bungee that attaches to the top of the upper or chest ascender in a 'walker' system needs to have a lot of length in the system in order to stay snug during the steps upward. This is especially important when the chest ascender floats like you have it. If it's too short I found that it would tug or go slack.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, took a bit to find that happy medium, but i like it where it is now, it rocks, SRT rocks, and the RW rocks...;) it is just smarter, not harder :)

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
[ QUOTE ]
...took a bit to find that happy medium

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real key to having SRT work the best.

During a conference call between the team that's working on the TCIA SRT Manual there was talk about how sometimes as little as a quarter inch length is the difference between efficiency and clumsy.

If a climber isn't willing to pay attention to details and tweak each part of the SRT rig they will be likely to not like SRT.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...took a bit to find that happy medium

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a real key to having SRT work the best.

During a conference call between the team that's working on the TCIA SRT Manual there was talk about how sometimes as little as a quarter inch length is the difference between efficiency and clumsy.

If a climber isn't willing to pay attention to details and tweak each part of the SRT rig they will be likely to not like SRT.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect practice, makes perfect Tom

tommyh

Drew, what do you use now instead of "toothed ascenders"?

I like the system you used in the video just replace the croll with a rope wrench...