rope walking

surveyor

Got my throwbag stuck again up a pine tree in the front yard, so I used my 35' long Tachyon to cinch with an alpine butterfly and mallion on a branch 30' up, with the target throwline. Rigged a rope walking system, using my OAR fastened on the harness at the bottom, and an adjustable chest loop at the top. It pulls along very well and has almost no sitback which is nice. This is the best system for ascent that I have tried to date. The limb walk was nerve racking to get out to the stuck throwbag, but I got it back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXMbG5M9Kvc&feature=endscreen&NR=1

DBT

hey surveyor-just to let you know how i came to the point of clipping into my helmet strap-i often found myself climbing without my helmet buckle done up, clipping into it made sure that i had to do it up! and from then on i never changed back. until i got a rope wrench and now i hardly ever use the croll or toothed ascenders for ascent.
Drew

surveyor

Hello Drew, when I saw the vid I had to try it out, but like the adjustable chest strap better, as it helps me stay upright.

Gordon

DBT

why tom? its only a key chain carabiner and its on the strap not the buckle. if it cant take the strain of that then its pretty crap..

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
DBT,

Why would you do something that interferes with the passive safety of your helmet?

There are so many easy to imagine things that could happen.

clip it to your shirt collar or use some sort of lanyard around your neck. Mine is made from thin elastic cord.

DBT

well when i spoke with petzl at the worlds they had no issue-its designed for big impacts. personally i dont like stuff round my neck buts its all good, if we were all the same in ideas and techniques it would be a very boring world indeed :)

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
DBT,

buckles on helmets are designed to be loaded in a specific way to provide the most protection.

Adding a load in another vector compromises the safety of the buckle.

There are different ratings for rec and pro climbing releases. The actual release load isn't really that large. The release is there so that the climber doesn't garrot or hang themselves.

Do as you please of course. On my watch no one would be allowed to use their chin strap like that though.

bonner1040

The buckle doesnt provide any safety whatsoever boss... thats the helmet. All the buckle does is keep the helmet on.

No need to drop the word vector in this conversation.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
[ QUOTE ]
The buckle doesnt provide any safety whatsoever boss... thats the helmet. All the buckle does is keep the helmet on.

No need to drop the word vector in this conversation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first reaction was to ask if 'vector' is too difficult for this conversation but I decided that might be taken as being smart-mouthed, so I won't say that heheheheh!

Since you said it...please explain how a chin strap is NOT considered part of protection?

The balls in your court :)

DBT

the chinstrap on my petzl is rated to be pulled downwards and not release until 50daN. vectors or whatever, i aint putting that much force through it, just pulling a croll upwards.........

chris_girard

Tom, I'm with Drew on this one. I wouldn't have any issues with clipping into the headstrap and would actually like it better than a cord around my neck.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Here's what I got back from my friend at Petzl:

Well, I read through it all and I watched the video and my thought is that you're messing with, although it's just the chin strap, a very important piece of PPE. Granted the top part of the Croll is just to keep it upright and isn't load bearing (as we've seen with people using a ziptie to hold it to the harness) so clipping it to a shirt collar or the chin strap doesn't really do anything to the Croll. However, if he were to fall or load it wrong that could easily pull the chin strap off and therefore the helmet could easily come off too. So, I guess in a bad string of events with a fall or anything like that, the last thing I'd want to accidentally fall off would be my helmet. The guy Tom commenting I feel has a great point and I'd advise not to use any portion of the helmet to do something like that. But in general use that's not load bearing so it's not going to cause any problems per say in normal use. I like to keep my helmet in true form and not mess with it and I would tell any customer that same thing.

DBT

in the case of a fall that lil piece of elastic is going to come striaght off the chinstrap-it isnt epoxy welded or anything its just a tiny keychain crab with elastic loosely pressed onto it. If it was a 22kN crab attached via a 22kN webbing sling id agree but this way overlooking a tiny matter. It makes me do my helmet up for a start-thats a good thing. Its not round my neck-for me thats a good thing. But thanks for the observations and im just going to leave it at that. Thanks

caleb

I also use an elastic loop girthed to the top hole of the croll. I wore it around my neck for a while until the rubbing got annoying. I enlarged the loop just slightly and now poke my whole arm and shoulder through so the elastic goes up over just one shoulder and around my chest. I find this more comfortable.

Buddy of mine cuts his old bicycle intertubes up and uses those for the elastic to pull the croll up. They flatten out a little more than round bungee cord and are a little more comfortable, I tried it. He even stitched a fleece tube for the intertube to run through so it's all kinds of soft where it might touch skin.

Wouldn't catch me clipping the bungee into my helmet. Not because I think it's unsafe perse, just that I think it would be more uncomfortable than it needs to be.