rope runner

NE Tree

Okay so a few more people have asked about more of these. I am looking but not having much success finding any still around. I can certainly get some more made but for those who have them here is my question... Is the thickness okay (@1/4") or would you like them better if they were about (@1/8" or 3/16"). Also would you prefer Plastic or rubber over the wood. They all have different material thickness but some overlap. The prices all vary considerably so I want to choose what the people like best. Thanks.

I think they're great like they were frank

deevo

Okay so a few more people have asked about more of these. I am looking but not having much success finding any still around. I can certainly get some more made but for those who have them here is my question... Is the thickness okay (@1/4") or would you like them better if they were about (@1/8" or 3/16"). Also would you prefer Plastic or rubber over the wood. They all have different material thickness but some overlap. The prices all vary considerably so I want to choose what the people like best. Thanks.

The wood ones have been fine for me, I sanded the edges down a bit, they have held up fine, I mainly only use my RR for pruning so doesn’t get dinged up or anything.

After much consideration I finally did it. My RR arrived on wed. I have a TIP from the trusses in my shop and gave it a go. First thing I noticed with bare hands the sharp edges dig in pretty good on the beak when releasing. It was better with gloves and I normally use gloves. I did a rec climb yesterday morning before the rains came in to set my Treestuff Tree-o-cache bucket and used the RR. I spent about 30 minutes in the tree running it through its paces. I know most say its a little twitchy out of the box, but I cant say I really noticed that. We hit it off right away, short easy limb walks, a nice drop and swing to a lower limb, nothing crazy, just getting a feel for it, didn't have any oh shit moments and its kinda nice not having to make sure the hitch is set like I got into the habit of doing with the HH.

Back to the finger issue. I read through this entire post last night and as I expected, I'm not the first to encounter this problem. Liked the walnut cushions, so out in the shop this morning I went to making some out of some Purpleheart wood. Project was moving right along when I put the RR back on the rope and started examining how much of the area I wanted rounded off. At that point I was thinking that just softening the sharp edge of the beak would probably be adequate. So I aborted the wood for now and will give this a try. Felt much better messing around with it in the shop. But a few hours in the tree may prove different, if so, the wood project will continue.

So now to my question, I currently have Tachyon and Notch Dragon ropes in service. I messed around with both with the RR in the shop and they both were fine with the bollard wide open. I personally like the Tachyon better, do to its softer hand and larger diameter, it has a little more stretch but that doesn't really bother me since I've been on Tachyon for two years with a HH. My Tachyon is showing its age and use and I'm ready to retire it to sailboat duty. I read a lot of folks like the Yale 11.7 and the RR, is that a better choice than the Tachyon? Anyone have a good comparison between the two? Other good choices similar to Tachyon?

Thanks

Attachments

After much consideration I finally did it. My RR arrived on wed. I have a TIP from the trusses in my shop and gave it a go. First thing I noticed with bare hands the sharp edges dig in pretty good on the beak when releasing. It was better with gloves and I normally use gloves. I did a rec climb yesterday morning before the rains came in to set my Treestuff Tree-o-cache bucket and used the RR. I spent about 30 minutes in the tree running it through its paces. I know most say its a little twitchy out of the box, but I cant say I really noticed that. We hit it off right away, short easy limb walks, a nice drop and swing to a lower limb, nothing crazy, just getting a feel for it, didn't have any oh shit moments and its kinda nice not having to make sure the hitch is set like I got into the habit of doing with the HH.

Back to the finger issue. I read through this entire post last night and as I expected, I'm not the first to encounter this problem. Liked the walnut cushions, so out in the shop this morning I went to making some out of some Purpleheart wood. Project was moving right along when I put the RR back on the rope and started examining how much of the area I wanted rounded off. At that point I was thinking that just softening the sharp edge of the beak would probably be adequate. So I aborted the wood for now and will give this a try. Felt much better messing around with it in the shop. But a few hours in the tree may prove different, if so, the wood project will continue.

So now to my question, I currently have Tachyon and Notch Dragon ropes in service. I messed around with both with the RR in the shop and they both were fine with the bollard wide open. I personally like the Tachyon better, do to its softer hand and larger diameter, it has a little more stretch but that doesn't really bother me since I've been on Tachyon for two years with a HH. My Tachyon is showing its age and use and I'm ready to retire it to sailboat duty. I read a lot of folks like the Yale 11.7 and the RR, is that a better choice than the Tachyon? Anyone have a good comparison between the two? Other good choices similar to Tachyon?

Thanks
I just put rubber tubing on the beaks after I attach it to rope.

SomethingWitty

Thanks
I really enjoyed a tiny, stiff, static kernmantle (Samson static) with my RR.
I love it on tachyon.
I haven't ever managed to get it dialed in on my prism, but seemingly everyone loves the Yale 11.7 with them.