Rope runner flattens rope

Hosocat

I've been trying to get into srt for a few weeks. I'm using a rope runner and 11mm edelrid static line. After a few uses I'm noticing the edelrid is getting permanently flattened. So I tried it on half inch Samson arbormaster and noticed the same thing, but not as pronounced as with the edelrid 11mm. Is this normal for the rope runner? Do all mechanical devices do this? Anything to be concerned abouf?

Z'sTrees

It's pretty normal for most mechanicals, especially the runner. Once the bollards get a wear pattern in them it will happen a bit less, but nothing to worry about

John@TreeXP

Good topic. Following.

I'm a new Runner user and have Edelrid Static which I haven't used since I took it into the Costa Rican jungle and climbed with it in the rain, on my HH2. It stiffened up a lot from that, but maybe its just the rope getting more broken in. I haven't used my Runner on the Static, but it runs great on my 7/16" HTP and Drenaline.

Last edited:

oldoakman

I've used it wit xstatic and Blue Moon. seems to flatten the Blue Moon more that the xstatic but both return to shape fairly well. What is your weight Hoscat? I'm a pretty hefty fellow and will max out most mechanicals but the runner seems to be a sweet spot for me.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I have been climbing on runners since before they hit the shelves. Yale 11.7 handles it so well. That flattening is normal. It will even out as the bollards wear.... 0 fucks given

TimBr

Official Well Known Greeter
@Hosocat; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here! In case nobody has mentioned it, there are years worth of cool threads stored in this forum that can be found by using the forum's search utility. It is a great resource. Take care.

Tim

Ryan Keats

Do you guys have rope specifically for mechanicals, or do you use the same rope with a hitch as well? (I've been looking at picking a rope runner up, but also use a wrench, and a zigzag in MRT with my yale 11.7

Hosocat

I've used it wit xstatic and Blue Moon. seems to flatten the Blue Moon more that the xstatic but both return to shape fairly well. What is your weight Hoscat? I'm a pretty hefty fellow and will max out most mechanicals but the runner seems to be a sweet spot for me.
I'm about 225. That might affect how much the runner is flattening the line. A lighter climber wouldn't cause as much of a clamping effect.

LordFarkwad

I'm about 225. That might affect how much the runner is flattening the line. A lighter climber wouldn't cause as much of a clamping effect.
I'm about 220+ loaded up, and use the Rope Runner on Vortex, a softer rope - it definitely flattens the rope out. My Hitch Hiker 2 does the same thing. No big deal, I've been told by the experts.

oldoakman

I have a few more pounds on you so the flattening is just part of the operation of the tool. Have fun with it.

moss

I weigh nothing, i’ve found that any rope will flatten in the runner or bdb bird. The difference is what the rope construction is, the Yale 11.7 double braid will not retain the flattening, the static kernmantles will to varying degree depending on the core construction.
-AJ

oldoakman

I will just add that whatever flattening you do get is not the important part, how it affects your systems performance is what matters. Systems respond very differently. This will sound like a plug, but hybrid systems are largely unaffected.
I can flatten a line with my hh2.