Rope reccomendations for SRT

For those of you who employ SRT for more than just their ascent ( work positioning) I wanted to see if yous wouldn't mind sharing what ropes you. when the first rope wrench came out I got one mainly because of the appeal of using a rope Walker type system for long ascents. Until then I was just using an old school foot lock prusik/technique. And not only the conservation of energy but also the bailout, " in case of emergency" capabilities. I attended an SRT seminar in New Hampshire right around the time the hitch hiker was coming out.
Long story short, I abandoned the Rope wrench and ended up with a unicender and 200 ft of km3 (I think it's called) I use this system mainly for access, unless it's just a straight up and down. The uncontrolled feeling that the unicender has on descent is something I still can't get used to.
So I guess this is kind of a two-part question for you guys what rope would you recommend I use and I was thinking of getting one of these rope runners because they seem as though they mimic the dialed-in feel of a cordage friction hitch
So like I said I know a lot of you guys use this so any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated sorry for being so long-winded

Worthaug

For those of you who employ SRT for more than just their ascent ( work positioning) I wanted to see if yous wouldn't mind sharing what ropes you. when the first rope wrench came out I got one mainly because of the appeal of using a rope Walker type system for long ascents. Until then I was just using an old school foot lock prusik/technique. And not only the conservation of energy but also the bailout, " in case of emergency" capabilities. I attended an SRT seminar in New Hampshire right around the time the hitch hiker was coming out.
Long story short, I abandoned the Rope wrench and ended up with a unicender and 200 ft of km3 (I think it's called) I use this system mainly for access, unless it's just a straight up and down. The uncontrolled feeling that the unicender has on descent is something I still can't get used to.
So I guess this is kind of a two-part question for you guys what rope would you recommend I use and I was thinking of getting one of these rope runners because they seem as though they mimic the dialed-in feel of a cordage friction hitch
So like I said I know a lot of you guys use this so any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated sorry for being so long-winded
The runner on Yale's 11.7s can't be beat. KM III Max on the wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you guys aren't finding it necessary to use a line with more "static" qualities? I read in one of the other threads some one referring to the "stiffness" of the more static lines, "poor hand", I believe it's called.

david1332

Static lines are for access only, not work positioning. Which is why we tend to use lines like tachyon and other Yale 11.7s .
But everybody has their preference. I heard calamine is good on the wrench. Yale s answer is supposed to be pretty good. There's a thread on here somewhere

ghostice

From an old ice/ alpine climber's perspective, pretty much all our arborist ropes are static - i.e. if you did take a decent whipper on one, you're probably going to have a holiday in the expensive care facility. Dave (never met the man but would like to sometime) from Wesspur explains this well (when you can hear him over the lonesome crow):

In my RR's, I like Tachyons of various colours, Cherry Bomb, Tangent/Voyager. HTP and Edelrid Performance work but seem to cable a bit with a couple of trips up 'n down. I'd ike to try Bluemoon, the Yale 11.7.
But whatever you do use, rope technology has come a long long way since the days when we all made our own ice pro outa electrical conduit! Modern ropes rock.

Yimboob

I use a runner or wrench. I like cougar blue for both runner and wrench. I liked the samson vortex alot when i did ddrt more. It was good both ddrt and srt with my runner and wrench. I used a km3max for a bit and didnt like the stiffness aside from ascending.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

rope-a-dope

I have come to really enjoy htp 11. I climb on it any style (doubled, HH2, wrench, trango cinch) and it has been enjoyable even as slender as it is.

So some of the srt ropes (referring to sherrilltree's rope chart) seem to have a high elongation %. But that is at 540lbs. I know some ropes are meant to stay fairly static until a certain weight preventing injury. But how static are they? Looking at the kernmeleon (or whatever it's called) which is 3% and the scion ropes which are 6.8%!! Anyone have any idears on this.
Kernmaster
Scion
Poison ivy
Have my interest.
However I DO already have and enjoy the 12.7mm Vortex. It's low stretch for srt ascent, and still close to a half inch for DdRT.

Last edited: