Rope for hitch hiker

Discussion in 'Stationary Rope Technique-Half the rope, twice the' started by fireman33, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Alejandro Concolor

Alejandro Concolor Active Member

How's the stretch on that voyager? Good for switching from srt to DdRT?

2. fireman33

fireman33 Member

No stretch or very little. I only climb srt with the hitch hiker 2, I find it doesn't work well ddrt, as soon as there's slack in the system the carabiner often rotate then gets side loaded once the slack is tended, it's a pain.

3. Alejandro Concolor

Alejandro Concolor Active Member

I may have phrased that wrong...
    How's the voyager do with the switch from srt to DdRT?
    I have been using the vortex 12.7
    But I notice a lot of fibers in the wheel of the rope wrench, thinking about getting a smaller diameter.

4. RajElectric

RajElectric Well-Known Member

I made a leather and webbing tending strap, has a metal inserted to keep it's shape.

Attached Files:

TimBr likes this.
  5. fireman33

fireman33 Member

That's nice, I made one as well but the part that wraps around the carabiner is metal "old coat hanger"and it doesn't stop it from getting side loaded.

6. RajElectric

RajElectric Well-Known Member

Leather is a bit tight so it keeps the biner in place.

fireman33 likes this.
  7. smoke_eater166

smoke_eater166 New Member

Ok I'm thinking about buyin.g a hitch hiker for both tree work and fun climbing. Will it work for my boy srt? He's 4'5" 70lbs. Also has anyone use Samson Voyager with the hitch hiker?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

8. Z'sTrees

Z'sTrees Well-Known Member

It should be fine for his weight. The way the carabiner slides in the groove, the more load applied the more friction the device adds. Can't comment on the voyager but I would imagine it's a fine choice.

9. tex-moto

tex-moto Member

You might end up using one wrap less on the hitch? I'm continually amazed at how bulletproof this device is. Kinda embarrassing but one time in the tree I looked down and realized my rope wasn't behind(between lower carabiner and spine) and it still worked SRT.

All that being said, I think if your just starting a child out, it should be MRT/ddrt so you can hold on to tail if he gets scared and grabs hitch on way down you can still stop his descent. If he's already experienced then have at it SRT with the HH2.

Gonna try to post a pick of my son on hitchclimber

Attached Files:

Oroboros and JeffGu like this.
  10. tex-moto

tex-moto Member

Funny thing is that I started him out with HH2ayear ago. Just had him tie an alpine butterfly below himself. Really should have a lowerable basal anchor if he gets jammed up u can let him down.

11. smoke_eater166

smoke_eater166 New Member

Thanks y'all. Guess I should have re-read above. Y'all had already posted that Voyager works well with the HH2. Nice pic Tex. He's been working Ddrt for a little while now I'll try to pay a pic later.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  12. joezilla11

joezilla11 Active Member

I just started using voyager with my hh2 and so far I really like it. The original beeline seems to work better than epicord for me. I've always used Yale 11.7 but it just seems to flatten too much and stay flat. Voyager will flatten a little too but the rope is so supple it doesn't seem to have memory like the Yale did. Very little stretch and I haven't really noticed any bounce at all. Really nice rope so far but like others have said the cover is a little loosely woven so I can't speak on durability, but my old vortex rope turned out to be pretty tough so I imagine this will be too. This is my new favorite right now for sure. The only other rope I'd like to try on my hh is tachyon but I've stayed away from it til now because I heard it was bouncy

TimBr likes this.
  13. fireman33

fireman33 Member

I've had good luck with voyager and hh2 so far going on 3 months on that combo. Been experimenting on different hitch cord 8mm...so far beeline is on top. The only time the hitchhiker sucks is when there's pine or spruce sap on the rope.