Rope bridge- Tree Austria 3.2 ???

Bob Bob

Has anyone converted their webbing bridge to a rope bridge on the Tree Austria 3.2? It looks like you could just tie the rope bridge to the shackles....maybe.

Any photos and tips would be much appreciated!

Has anyone converted their webbing bridge to a rope bridge on the Tree Austria 3.2? It looks like you could just tie the rope bridge to the shackles....maybe.

I don't have that saddle but the one that I do have has similar shackles on it that I replaced with petzl open rings which gave me enough space to tie a traditional rope bridge on

CanadianStan

I’ve got the same harness and the shackles make me nervous too. Going to get the petzl open as suggested

I’ve got the same harness and the shackles make me nervous too. Going to get the petzl open as suggested
I had a dragonfly 2 with those shackles for probably five years and never had an issue with them if you're replacing them just because you're concerned take them apart check to make sure there's loctite on them and then put them back together You're good to go

evo

The shackles are bomb proof if locktite and tightened down. I actually stripped one allen head trying to swap bridges back in the day.

CanadianStan

I’ve always had rigging plates on my 2 ergolites and I REALLY like the single piece with no turney bits. I find myself checking those damn shackles every few mins in a climb.
Mine do have locktite and they have been tightened
I also like having a rope bridge terminated with a stopper knot as opposed to tied around a very small diameter piece of metal.
Hence why I bought Rico’s NT Onyx :D the Austria is nice and light though

Bob Bob

I’ve always had rigging plates on my 2 ergolites and I REALLY like the single piece with no turney bits. I find myself checking those damn shackles every few mins in a climb.
Mine do have locktite and they have been tightened
I also like having a rope bridge terminated with a stopper knot as opposed to tied around a very small diameter piece of metal.
Hence why I bought Rico’s NT Onyx :D the Austria is nice and light though
I only have experience with rope bridges with stopper knots and rigging plates. I was wondering how a non-spliced rope bridge would be using the existing shackles.

What knot do you guys recommend if I want to run a non-spliced rope bridge with rings or the existing shackles?

Last edited:
I use a buck cat saddle I have modified. Cut off the OG rope bridge (the one that had recalls), picked up some KMIII (a little stiff but retains decent tension. Just tension the stopper knots during inspection) there is better rope out there for sure, but it is what I have available local (MEC). I put 2 bridges on that barely squezzed in there and run a double fisherman on one side and an anchor hitch on the other. This allows for me to adjust the lengths of the bridges with ease. My primary bridge has a DMM small axis swivel and the secondary has a DMM aluminum ring. The ring is key to connect the lower bridge to a side D to keep it out of the way and stop the jingle jangle....long story short...would definitely recommend the anchor hitch for easy adjustability

Ive been curious about the camp harness for a while, you like it?

I put petzl rings on my tree austria and its perfect. I tie anchor bends.
I do like it. like every harness out there it has its quirks and the floppy side d rings take some getting used to. But it is comfortable and seems durable (I fly a bucket mostly, but when I climb it doesn't have any excessive wear on it) and the rated shoulder straps are a big plus. So is the SRT attachment at the waist so you're more upright during ascent. The petzl rings are definitely a nice upgrade over the factory installed shackles, but the shackles are usable the way it comes.