Rope bridge recommendations

39Buick

After reading several threads and doing a search on the subject I am curious what folks are using for replacement saddle bridges? When my saddle was new it came with a 16 strand arbormaster I believe BWR. I picked up some sterling tritech to use for a 2 in 1 lanyard and also used a piece for an adjustable rope bridge. Is this a good choice? What are you using?

Bango Skank

I’m gonna use 16 strand XTC Fire for the bridge whenever I get around to making a Liger out of an old Cougar I got.
XTC fire is very similar to the Arbormaster 16 strand.
It’s a fine choice for a rope bridge, but there’s lots of options. I’m just using the Fire because I have a lot of it.
I’ll probably use it whenever I need to replace my TreeMotion bridge too.

Jehinten

I've lost faith in the petzl sewn eyes, I dont like the loose stitching that allows the eyes to move, so when I replaced the bridge on my sequoia I went with 16 strand. Two bridges, one Teufelberger hi-vee and the other Samson BRW.

Woodwork

I’m gonna use 16 strand XTC Fire for the bridge whenever I get around to making a Liger out of an old Cougar I got.
XTC fire is very similar to the Arbormaster 16 strand.
It’s a fine choice for a rope bridge, but there’s lots of options. I’m just using the Fire because I have a lot of it.
I’ll probably use it whenever I need to replace my TreeMotion bridge too.
Bango Skank - How will you attach the XTC Fire to your saddle? Fisherman's knot to each ring? I bought a Chinese Xinda saddle with ~ 2.6" diameter aluminum rings and I want to replace their sewn webbing bridge with a rope bridge, and I also have a hank of older XTC Fire...

(I'll use my old Buckingham Traverse for most climbing, but will work the Xinda saddle into the mix when doing lanyard stuff, and would like a bridge just to add a safety top rope when working on spurs with lanyard...)

Last edited:

Bango Skank

Bango Skank - How will you attach the XTC Fire to your saddle? Fisherman's knot to each ring? I bought a Chinese Xinda saddle with ~ 2.6" diameter aluminum rings and I want to replace their sewn webbing bridge with a rope bridge, and I also have a hank of older XTC Fire...

(I'll use my old Buckingham Traverse for most climbing, but will work the Xinda saddle into the mix when doing lanyard stuff, and would like a bridge just to add a safety top rope when working on spurs with lanyard...)
Nope the rings and a little webbing are replaced with small rigging plates. It gives the saddle a rope bridge attached with double overhand stopper knots and the bigger holes on the plates used as forward lower Ds to use with a lanyard.
Pic isn’t mine but will be about same thing. I got a pair of small DMM plates. I’ll try it out and probably give it to my son if he wants it or keep it around if a friend wants to try rec climbing.

Traverse was a great saddle, very comfortable to sit in and still great range of motion. Being suspended a little overhead from the hip Ds could get painful sometimes, but otherwise it served me very well for over 10 years.

C5C642E3-CA19-4428-8B96-BB4EDFDCC96A.jpeg

Cereal_Killer

Cut the China rings off and replace them with petzl open rings. It's what I did (have the same saddle). Having two bridges, with two fisherman's knots per ring is a lot of bulk keeping everything from laying pretty. This way I can use sewn bridges.

Woodwork

Cut the China rings off and replace them with petzl open rings. It's what I did (have the same saddle). Having two bridges, with two fisherman's knots per ring is a lot of bulk keeping everything from laying pretty. This way I can use sewn bridges.
Now you've got me thinking. Since I only want one bridge, but one that I know is strong enough, maybe I'll forget about replacing their webbing bridge with a rope bridge, and replace it with my own webbing bridge by tying a loop of webbing through the rings with a water knot. I have some nylon 1" webbing that supposedly tests out at 3800# so a loop would give 7600# if you got 100% knot strength...whatever it tests out to be, I'm sure it'll be plenty...if I made my own webbing bridge, I could also put an aluminum ring on it beforehand for clipping a carabiner to...

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
I only use a treemotion. On my third. Soon a fourth, and have always used globe 3000. I have had it in red, black and green by the foot. But these days I just grab a replacement bridge. These days I am about following manufacturer's recommended replacement. Not saying anyone should follow suit. Just do not use self-abrading tech cordage

Samsquanch

Anything thats 100% polyester is what ive been told is a safe bet. From what ive been able to find out thats what the tm stock bridges are, which from memory is globe 3000. I usually use kernmantle safari/blue tongue.

Mowerr

Anything thats 100% polyester is what ive been told is a safe bet. From what ive been able to find out thats what the tm stock bridges are, which from memory is globe 3000. I usually use kernmantle safari/blue tongue.
Gl0be 3000 tm stock bridges are a "triple braid" with polyester cover and I know the core is dyneema and I'm not sure if there's another material in it...

Greg_L

The one thing that's not clear about the TM bridges is that they are a "modified/optimized" version of globe 3000, not globe 3000 itself. They say on their site that the cordage has been altered somewhat from the original recipe to optimize it for bridge usage, and they discourage use of raw globe 3000 for the task.

SomethingWitty

Arkansawyer
The one thing that's not clear about the TM bridges is that they are a "modified/optimized" version of globe 3000, not globe 3000 itself. They say on their site that the cordage has been altered somewhat from the original recipe to optimize it for bridge usage, and they discourage use of raw globe 3000 for the task.
I don't know about that. I think they just stitch about an inch and a half at the ends.

After reading several threads and doing a search on the subject I am curious what folks are using for replacement saddle bridges? When my saddle was new it came with a 16 strand arbormaster I believe BWR. I picked up some sterling tritech to use for a 2 in 1 lanyard and also used a piece for an adjustable rope bridge. Is this a good choice? What are you using?
My notch sentinel came with KMlll. Its holding up nicely. I took the ring off and use a hydra pulley.i like its stiffness.

Mowerr

Yea I just love how they can't clearly explain what exactly is so different about the stock bridge....
But then again I haven't seen a you tube clip or anyone in here take apart a piece of both ropes and document what they see?!

Greg_L

It aaaaalmost sounds like they're describing a third layer between the sheath and core at one point, but they don't go into detail and I've never inspected a late-gen bridge closely after reading about this.