Rope Bridge Options

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Greg_L, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Greg_L

Greg_L Active Member

Zillon Thread got me thinking...anyone have a rope preference for custom rope bridges? Any specific no-nos? I've got a Sequoia I want to do an adjustable bridge on, but I do NOT want the Petzl-made rig, sooo...

2. 123Craig

123Craig Active Member

Only commenting as no-one else has; most of my experience has just been with Samson Velocity (that comes with the Buckingham Rebellion Saddle) - I've really liked it - supple, smooth running. I'm open to trying different types when I change it.

Many others with way more knowledge should chime in; everyone has a preference.

3. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

I am pretty new to climbing and thought i'd ask why you don't want the Petzl-made? Just got a new Cougar and was considering swapping into a Petzl bridge, just curious about your thoughts on "no" Petzl?

4. Greg_L

Greg_L Active Member

The Petzl-made adjustable bridge isn't as quick to adjust as a roll lock or Kong, etc., for one, and the rope it comes with is much longer than I want...which only leaves me the option of having a piece custom-spliced.

5. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

I get ya, figured i'd ask as i'm looking at different options and pros/cons to swap to a rope bridge on the Weaver Cougar. I'm new to climbing and my first saddle so i've been thinkin about alot of setups before i settle on an option & the Petzl bridge with Petzl opens was 1 option i was considering.

I appreciate your thoughts, wish i could help more with your situation.

~James

6. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

Exactly, the CT RollNLock is so quick and secure. It must be completely unweighted and the Petzl has to be MOSTLY unweighted but then lacks the ease of use.
    Somebody making hardware, please build a RollNLock into a rigging paw..........please.

JefLong, John_KAYS and Climber429 like this.
  7. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

I'm trying to envision the CT RNL mounted to a rigging paw, would that turn the CT 90 degrees and also loose the function of the open/close feature. Or would it be a twist hardware type setup or a complete rebuild/redesign with a paw integrated? Guess i'm not on the same page, hard to picture in my head i guess as i've never played with one. A buddy of mine could always weld something up (steel paw) but i'd be leary of safety and rating at that point.

8. yoyoman

Basically just weld a cam and back plate over the middle hold. Would just take the place of my zip ties.

Climber429 likes this.
  9. Greg_L

Greg_L Active Member

Find a picture of a Kong ascender attached to a Treemotion lower 'D', and then picture that as all one piece...that'd pretty well do it. Maybe make it open with a bolt or pin so it'd be usable on a variety of harnesses. I'd buy some...no question.

Climber429 likes this.
  10. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

Gotcha! pretty sweet ideas. I apologize if i derailed your thread at all and appreciate the info & thoughts.

Thanks, James

11. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Has anyone given thought to possible bridge strength reduction due to having a cammed ascender on their bridge? I know the theory is that it is backed up by a stopped knot or splice, but will that help if the cam damages the bridge first?
    I had the Roll n Lock on my Treemotion for a while but took it off because I didn't use
    it enough to warrant any extra concern about safety.

jmaher and Levi.CO like this.
  12. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

Good question/thinkin. I'm new to the mechanics of climbing, been reading forums, vids, books & any other info i can come up with. Hence why im askin alot of questions. Personally i was thinking of some inclusion of a backup or redundant bridge but i know that opens up a whole new thread. Curious to here others replies though...

13. yoyoman

Yep, gave it thought.
    Probably less strength loss then a knot, in fact it will slide under shock load to the stopper knot. It would be an interesting test but I would not be surprised that it adds strength and shock absorption.

Climber429 likes this.
  14. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Good to know, yoyoman. I didn't know it would slide without rope damage.

15. yoyoman

They say it will around 1200 pounds. Of course there must be variable in there.
    I'd love to have a proof tester to verify.
    I wish all of our cams, foot, hand etc had ribbed cams rather than teeth. I'm trying to talk CMI into something like that.

colb, JefLong and Climber429 like this.
  16. Dave Rohach

Dave Rohach Well-Known Member

In reference to a Kong on a TreeMotion saddle, I run one on my rope bridge so I can crossover from SRT to DdRT, by lengthening my bridge upward for hip thrusting or frog walking on a ZigZag, shorten to minimum length for a RopeRunner or BulldogBone. It has proven to be useful and practical for just about every type of Ascension as well as Descencion. There's also the factor of putting the saddle on, when the bridge is long you're able to adjust placement much easier than when it's at its shortest. YoYoMan was the mastermind of my decision. Thanks Richard.

Dave6390 in WI

yoyoman likes this.
  17. yoyoman

Such and evil deed I did. ;-)

Dave Rohach likes this.
  18. Dave Rohach

Dave Rohach Well-Known Member

I really don't see your ideas as evil, in order to progress, we some times must look beyond others intended ideas! That's a good thing. IMHO.

Dave6390 in WI

yoyoman likes this.
  19. Crimsonking

Crimsonking Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a picture of the Kong/tree-motion if someone has the time.

Climber429 and Dave Rohach like this.
  20. Climber429

Climber429 Active Member

X2