rope boss bags

theXman

[ QUOTE ]
Today I had a plastic strip bust through the fabric...I never dropped mine out of a tree and I am also a student...so I have little use with it...defiantly a weak spot in the bag...Tobe are there any warrantys with this bad...because I just have part summer use on it...any way i can send it to you guys so you can make better ones? Or am I just lost with a busted bag?

[/ QUOTE ]

this just goes to show you how weak this BAD BAG is.

Poor college kid, they don't have any money to spare.

He didn't even drop his.

I hope they send you a new improved one Tr33.

That stinks man.

This kinda makes me want to start producing a good bag myself.

Shouldn't be too hard, take what works from other bags and put them all together.

I hope you get a new better bag. I've got boxes of these crappy bags and I still don't know if Sherrill will take them back and refund the money. I'd only send back the ones that haven't been opened.

Tobe_Sherrill

Folks,

We've done our best to produce a product line that's not only tough but designed specifically for arborists, taking the best of the best one step further. So far we have had very positive reports from a vast majority of professional customers and have started receiving orders from other rope-using industries. To date we have less than 6 warranty requests, one of which was a sewing error.

Some of the dialog here is certainly concerning.

In hindsight it was difficult to determine what percentage of climbers carry their rope bag aloft (from surveys it was determined infrequent) or to what extent some users might subject lifelines, ppe and handsaws (contents these bags were designed for) to severe punishment. Based on one interview of a customer having a ruptured rim the user had a (reasonable) habit of repeatedly banging his bag against the ground, fully loaded to compact the contents inside. I know from experience this is a habit formed by trying to make a leaning bag stand erect.

I have decided to put specific notice in future deliveries of the four products with (fiberglass) stiffners that reads; "RopeBoss products are warranted against manufacturers defects. Products having fiberglass stiffeners (Basic and Deluxe rope bags) are subject to rupture if dropped from heights or crushed (vertically) by heavy loads."

Next spring we're likely unveil a few additions to the line. Certainly a no-frills, drop bomb bag should be a consideration. In the mean time, if that is all you're looking for we still have the following bags without stiffners;
http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professional-Gear/Other-Rope-and-Tool-Storage_2/I-D-Rope-Bag

Tr33Climb3r

So Tobe am I out of luck? I purchased this bag from you expecting a bag with no flaws...I have never dropped it from a tree and has only contained my climb line, sadde, and hard hat...would you like pictures posted so I can show you? Also you didn't answer if there is any warrenty on these bags...

I appreciate the suggestion on the other rope bag but that only carries a rope...not enough room for other gear

And the defects you have were shown to have had sewing problems or two much weight was in the bag correct? Well then why make a bag so big that with the amount of gear our industry can have and the ability to put it in one bag...wouldn't you make it strong enough to withstand all of this.

Honesty I think you should have made this bag without the plastic supporters...if you would have just made the bag double thick with the material it could stay open enough to be able to put the gear in it. This bag is more of a gear bag...not a rope bag in my opinion so why does it need the plastic supporters?

Look forward to hearing from you,

Tr33Climb3r

Tobe_Sherrill

Dear sir,

You're not out of luck, just a few fiberglass stiffeners. My advice would be; return it for review (if you think it was sewn improperly or contains a manufacturer's defect) or, perhaps remove the stiffener(s) and beat the living tar out of it. If someone from earlier in the thread is right, it won't last more another few weeks. I'll bet a free replacement that, short of physically ripping it apart with cleats and sticks (yes, that will be my competitors next gorilla marketing project) it will outlast any ropebag of its caliber. Fair enough?

We could get closer to the "perfect and flawless product" but it wouldn't fit a tree worker's budget. For example, Metolius makes a great rope bag that we could model, but at $135 dollars, the Metolius rep. tells me, few are being sold. To add our outside storage accessories would bring such a product above $200. You paid less than a third of that.

Of 6 bags sent in, one was from a biker who lost it off the back of his motorcycle on the highway, nearly flipping an SUV but only holes were torn into the top, his contents remained safe (not warranted and he was only thanking us for the quality). Another had thread unraveling from the 1000 denier coated-fabric lining the rim (warranted) and four had one or more fiberglass stiffeners burst through their retaining wall (one was warranted).

I hope this response doesn't appear flippant or insensitive for it wasn't meant that way. SherrillTree is my life blood and I honestly put every ounce of energy into serving an industry that many outsiders peer down their nose at. People that when told that I'm in the tree care business look down at my shoes (don't really know why) and often try to change the subject. I drag them back to bragging about the level of passion in tree workers and our love of trees. Some of the negative comments i read in these threads is depressing because I realize that some of you guys deal with the same disrespect from high browed individuals day in and day out, and many of you are scarred from it. Don't let it in. You guys are the hardest working people on the planet in my opinion and deserve the best products a company like ours can produce. We're never satisfied. I have big ambitions to fulfill these needs and will only quit when the caretaker closes my coffin.

Looking forward, always.

Tobe

HÖLLENREICH

[ QUOTE ]
Metolius makes a great rope bag

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be talking about the Haul bags, cuase metolius rope bags price out from 60 to 20 dollars.

ficus

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2) The lower part of the backpack kit is a little narrow. At least it feels like that based on the attachment point for the lower straps that dig into my sides slightly. This might be an issue if I had to hump this bag for a distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with you on this one they are way too narrow and do dig in. One solution to get around a design problem is to flip the bag upside down before attaching the backpack part. of course you have to take everything out of the pockets. Instead of clipping into the proper points, clip into the two biner loops further out on the bag (for the waist attachment only). This make carrying more comfortable and doesn't dig into the sides.

goodaking

Hello tobe,

I have four xl rope boss basic bags, one four all my climbing gear and the rest for rigging rope and gear. My lx basic is awesome but if we could reinforce the plastic pieces at the top and bottom of the bag I think they will hold up better and the plastic supports wont shoot through the top and bottom of the bag.
Maybe you could but a rubber stopper cap on the top and bottom of the supports under the reinforced stitched canvas.
Other than that I don’t know what I would do without mine. Sick bag!

Tobe_Sherrill

Thanks for the ideas and input. Designer is with the mfg next week and fiberglass stiffeners, material options are on the punch list.

Had a visit yesterday from climber Erwin Vermuyten of Belgium who is still in the states after ITCC and visiting old bud Bob Weber in NC. Adventurous sole and genuinely nice guy. He has the tall basic Ropeboss and, man was it worn. Besides hard daily tree work and competition travels, he and Bob were bush-wacking night and day through Smokey mtns through Rhododendron and tough climbing. The bag was beat to heck. One stiffener had punched through and we pulled it out. It stood perfectly. I wanted to trade him for a new bag just to further examine but he wouldn't part with it. I had time to note a few adjustments and added them to punch list for next weeks meeting. Rest assured this, like all, have room for improvement. No resting on these laurels.

GIZROID

I have an XL deluxe and a L deluxe that I purchased this summer. I like the design and the color scheme. The XL bag allows me to carry everything I need to the base of the tree and leave my hands free to carry the saw and big shot. When I first started reading this post I thought that it was a whining pile on against this product. Then I decided to go out to the truck and check my bags. Sure enough my XL bag has a stay that has poked through the top. I carry my bag to the tree, remove my gear and set the bag to the side. It has never been abused and still looks brand new. I have had a problem with the shoulder straps coming unsnapped at the bottom while being stored in the truck so that when I pick it up one side is detached. Do I send the bag back or take it to Vermeer?

Tr33Climb3r

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the ideas and input. Designer is with the mfg next week and fiberglass stiffeners, material options are on the punch list.

Had a visit yesterday from climber Erwin Vermuyten of Belgium who is still in the states after ITCC and visiting old bud Bob Weber in NC. Adventurous sole and genuinely nice guy. He has the tall basic Ropeboss and, man was it worn. Besides hard daily tree work and competition travels, he and Bob were bush-wacking night and day through Smokey mtns through Rhododendron and tough climbing. The bag was beat to heck. One stiffener had punched through and we pulled it out. It stood perfectly. I wanted to trade him for a new bag just to further examine but he wouldn't part with it. I had time to note a few adjustments and added them to punch list for next weeks meeting. Rest assured this, like all, have room for improvement. No resting on these laurels.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea tobe one of my plastic pieces punched through and I pulled it out and it stands just fine...I say go without them...I think most people are using this bag as a gear bag not a rope bag...so I thing the stronger fabric keeps it open enough just to put gear in

goodaking

Sweet bike! I had an 01 200 ktm xc and an 04 200 xc. Very flick able. Every year me and my buddy Trailer are bikes from ct to the Up of Michigan. And the rest of are crew meats us there. The UP has the best single track ever, built for dirt bikes only. There’s nothing like riding over 100 mile in a day against your buddys on dreamlike trails at the top of your game.
Croom is pretty sick also

Tr33Climb3r

[ QUOTE ]
Are the stiffeners in pockets so you can remove or replace them as needed, or permanently sewn in?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have looked...some of them you can take out from the inside...you may have to cut them though first...i tried once for about 5 min and decided to give up...some are sewn in though I believe...I just went and checked the only one that is sewn in is the front one where the handle is...all the others you can remove from the inside...I suggest removing them if it is going to be used as a gear bag