Ronin Battery Powered Ascender

My suggestion is to order a rollgliss R500 for 100 or 200 dollars and attach a cordless drill. Some of us don't have deep pockets and innovate our own affordable tools.

The ronin looks like a good product. Just too expensive. Skylotec also makes a motorized belay device and it has a remote control. Also too expensive.

Also, I am not going to be an early adopter. I will wait for the bugs to get worked out and the price to come down. If you can afford to be an early adopter, by all means, do it. It helps out the whole process of innovation.

Thank you for your feedback.

First i would like to point out that battery powered ascenders have been around along time and this is not new technology, it is well tested and proven. Second I would like to point out the ascender will retail around 2,000$ cnd and compares to the actsafe ascender at 10,000 and the atlas device at 30,000.

This is the new cheaper version we have been waiting for, the wait is over its here.

Thirdly a codless drill or the skylock do not even compare, period. This is going to be a god sent for many industries.

I paint water towers personally and this device has cut the time it takes in half. I realize for independent arborists it could be overkill in alot of cases.

I hope you change your mind and order one, you won’t be disapointed and will be able to start working like the pro’s do.

Kris

southsoundtree

Kris, if you want to break into the tree market, you should consider a demo with members.

Post the links to videos here, not have people chase them down.

Where in Canada?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am planning to be in Alberta and B.C next week doing demos with the device. After that I plan on being in Ontario around the end of June and will post more info on demo times and locations here once that is finalized. I can say there is a lot of interested parties from different industries that are waiting on a demo before making the decision to purchase. What I can say is qty's will be limited this year due to high demand for the device and I encourage those that have been waiting for a device of this type and price to go ahead and contact me at kris.j.jennings@hotmail.com and put in an order for their first unit.

First Demo will be in Winnipeg Manitoba, At Assiniboine park June 8th 2018, Contact me for more details if you are in the Winnipeg/Manitoba Area.

Does it have any ANSI or CE certifications yet? Any plans to get them? Is it mid-line attachable? What size and type of rope is it compatible with? Does it have a brake to hold the load? What kind of battery does it take? What is the battery capacity? What kind of motor does it have (commutator or brushless)? Has it been tested with a fall? How does the device handle dynamic loading? Any plans for a stateside demo? Do I have more questions? Maybe.

We are currently under contract with F2 laboratories to handle all our CE certifications. This includes providing the necessary notified body to certify the Ronin Lift use commercially
worldwide. Testing was completed in March with approval for use shortly thereafter

Machinery Directive 2006/42/EC Annex I & Annex IV
EMC Directive 2006/42/EC
ANSI/ASSE Z359.4

It is only end of line attachable, has to be run through the machine, no mid line mounting will be available due to the added cost. It does have a break handle but will be one hand operable. Batteries are Lithium Ion and are only available from Ronin, there will be two battery options. Capacity is 1000ft ascent, gravity decent. I have attached a spec sheet for you to look at. Rope sizes are 9mm - 11.7mm. I am not the US rep, so anyone in the US should contact Bryant at Changeyourelevation.com. I will get back to you on your inquires I missed and look forward to more questions.

Attachments

evo

yo mr sales guy, have you kicked down to the powers to be on the site yet, or are you looking to get free buzz generated? It looks like a brick sitting in your lap, give it some nice curves, and mid line would be a huge appeal to us un pro tree guys

Some forums have options to purchase a business account to market and do media blasts, didn't see that on this site, so usually just post and if there is a problem the admin delete the posts or contact me. Is that what you are referring to? My bad, I know you guys are all pro's and highly skilled. I personally have been super excited for this device and recommend it to all that work at heights and just want to get the word out for all those that don't know the Ronin exists or where to purchase it. I am not selling, I am doing a public service to all work at height professionals. I work full time as a level 3 RAT doing painting and other work at heights, I am selling the Ronin becuase I have been waiting along time for a device like this and know others have aswell. Will never be mid line attachable, a company called Actsafe already has one and it's 10k, I can put you in touch. There are plenty of demo videos on www.changeyourelevation.com and on youtube for you to view the brick. Thank you for your feedback. If you were my best friend and brother I would be honest with you and say this device is awesome and you should buy one. Just being honest and trying to help a brother out.

Great Video of RAI using the Ronin.

Last edited:
Retails now on changeyourelevation.com for $1,250us.

Final CND retail price is still being figured out, special pricing on multiple units. Price will be effected by exchange here in CND. Send me an email if your interested and I can quote you a firm CND price. Kris.j.jennings@hotmail.com

Last edited:

SomethingWitty

I heard about this! I forgot when guys started tweaking the rollgliss.

That is really a reasonable price compared to the 3k that a wraptor runs. Not that the wraptor isn't cool as a fan, because there is no doubt of that, but I might spend a grand on a powered ascender this coming decade. I wouldn't spend three unless something on me broke and I needed it.

The not midline thing is not a deal breaker, but how responsive is the speed control, and is it fully variable? That is very important in a tree, once you learn to drive what you're running. Truly open ascents are rare, so there is a bunch of navigating around branches and guiding suckers around you to avoid hurting them or you.

Last edited:
Thank you for the feedback, it is all helping to gauge the interest from the Arborist community.

It is priced right that is for sure. Any gas powered ascender is not going to compare to electric. Electric is way smoother and has instant torque that provides speed and ease of use. It is fully variable so you can pick the speed, instant response.

Also remember it's a rope winch so it can pull trees out of the bush, help with lifting and pulling things. Hook this up to a 3-1 or 5-1, it pulls 400lbs without mechanical advantage. Think about it.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback.

Thank you for the feedback, it is all helping to gauge the interest from the Arborist community.

It is priced right that is for sure. Any gas powered ascender is not going to compare to electric. Electric is way smoother and has instant torque that provides speed and ease of use. It is fully variable so you can pick the speed, instant response.

Also remember it's a rope winch so it can pull trees out of the bush, help with lifting and pulling things. Hook this up to a 3-1 or 5-1, it pulls 400lbs without mechanical advantage. Think about it.

Thank you all for the comments and feedback.
I would not use it for winching and life support. Once life support gear is used for rigging, it becomes rigging gear. I got 2 R500s, one for climbing and one for winching.

I think you need to consider how arborists and rec tree climbers would use a device like this. This is pretty much limited to access only. It is bulky, like having several bricks with you. The weight and size of the device limit its usefulness. It looks like it would be great for access and then lower it down for the next climber or to get it out of the way. I cannot see this device being used for work positioning in tree care unless it is mid-line attachable and much more compact.

That being said, you example of water towers is a great way to show how you could work position with it. I can see how many industries would love a device like this but it is not optimized for the arborist.

I love that I have under $200 in an electric ascender, but I don't always use it. I still find myself using camed ascenders on shorter climbs or climbs with a lot of obstacles. The price point of your ascender is also very good compared to currently available options. The reason why I say this is because you guys should be asking what features we would want instead of telling us to buy them up before they are gone. Like it has been stated before, not being mid-line attachable is going to be a deal breaker for a lot of us.

If I had one of those money trees in my yard I would have bought up two of them by now just to be able to experiment with the device. But as a budget conscience climber, I won't shell out a grand unless it is exactly what I need. Maybe a ronin 2.0 could be a more arb friendly device.

Actually the next device Ronin is working on is small, although with less lift capacity and battery life, but smaller. Still won't be mid line loadable but smaller might be better. Sorry I meant for those that want the device and now, it is limited, but by July/Aug there will be plenty of stock. So no they won't be all gone, just limited at the moment if you want one today. I work on a budget too, I hear you but a petzl Astro full bod harness costs me 700$ with tax, an ID is 350$plus an ASAP $340 etc etc.. nothing is really cheap these days. As battery powered ascenders goes there isn't much choice in the market place, sometimes we do with what we have, this is the most affordable to date. Are you from Canada? I would love to meet up and give you a personal demo and see if I can change your mind on the Ronin 1.0