Roll off truck?

Fivepoints

Anybody using roll off truck for their tree service? I'm thinking about adding one to our fleet. We have a single axle grapple truck we use to haul wood. The problem I have is not having enough cdl drivers to get it to the job. I've tried to find more employee's that have or will get a cdl for literally years. Often I'm driving our crane to the job so I can't take our grapple. I was thinking with a roll off truck I could drop a can or two before the job and go back after to get them. I think my mini would be able to drive into the cans even if I had to make a small ramp to put down behind them. I'd also like to cap one of the cans to be able to use it as a large chip truck at times. Our last crane job generated over 3 loads of chips. Someone is always running to dump them during the job it seems. We have several good places to dump chips but they are not very close to most of our jobs. We drop them at random peoples houses that want a load of chips as well. I fully understand most people are not going to want a 20 ft container worth of chips. I would probably buy one that is around a 2000-2005 model tandem axle to try it out without sinking huge money into it. Thoughts? Experiences?

Last edited:

Mitch Hoy

I know two companies that run them as their main material haulers. They are a great way to put away tree, especially for companies that run a full sized skidder with a grapple bucket. I know both companies have multiple containers and will drop off a few on big jobs. One company hauls a mini in them from time to time, and I don’t think they use ramps, but I am not sure.
Both companies haul other equipment with their trucks, but obviously you’re in class A territory pretty quick. One company uses their containers for snow removal in the winter. Not sure where you’re at or if that’s of interest.
They are a good option.

Jehinten

I'm a one man show who shows up with a bucket truck, mini, chipper and all the little gear. As of late I've been hiring a guy who runs a roll off dumpster service and it's been working well. He drops off the container for me to fill with the mini, then comes back and picks it up. Saves me from driving to the dump and renting a dump trailer. His cost for me is also less than the dump trailer rental even though his container is bigger than the trailer.

As for the roll off containers I've really liked using them, I've used a 10 and 15 yard container and I can load over the side of each with the mini and bmg. I've yet to use his 20 yard container but will likely need to drive in the container with ramps. For what its worth he uses a trailer system with the hydraulic system for pulling the container onto the trailer. He does prefer to keep the weight under about 10,000 lbs, I suspect the truck systems or a hook lift will have a higher capacity.

colb

I'm running a 16 yard udump dump rolloff trailer. I had the bin door modified to be split level, so there are four doors. The bin is 12 feet long. I occassionally go in with my sk650 mini, but usually it is not efficient. I load 6 foot logs first in the bottom. The second log pushes the first log to the back. Then I load 12 foot long brush. If I just have brush I close the bottom rear doors to keep the butts in the trailer, then keep loading. I try to keep 2-4 small logs to put on the top to press the brush down. I can barely load over the side, which is perfect. I have a rack in the front with rake, shovel, 5 ft. drill bit (in PVC pipe), and push broom. I have L brackets on the side for bracing rod and 10' drill bit. I need brackets on the other side for ramps that I still need to upgrade to. I need a piece of square tubing up in front of the trailer to hold the arbor trolley. I could use a cage on the front for fluids storage. Lot of wasted space on the area above the tongue.

colb

@colb , can you give me a link to this trailer? Curious since you mentioned it in that other thread.

I wouldn't bother with the 12 yard container. I can pack a decent sized whole tree (24" 65 ' dead pine, 16" laurel oak, etc.) into the bin. It's great for reduction pruning too.

I heard that used trailers come up on craigslist after storm damage cleanup is over, so Florence, Irma, Maria, etc.

climbhightree

My crane is a hooklift truck, and I luv it

For some reason treebuzz isn't letting me attach pictures right now. But if you go to my Instagram account or Facebook (just search Climb High Tree Service) you will see pictures of using it for stump grindings, wood, equipment hauling, chip body.

I am 2 man operation, I luv the versatility of it.

climbhightree

Hey guy. Can you take a picture of the d rings welded to your bin? I need to weld on mine but I see there’s some more metal in between.
Yep I'll get you one. They weld a plate to the d ring holder first and then weld the whole plate to the container...to give it better strength I think.

I'm not a fan of how they put the d rings up off the floor so far (though I do recognize why they did it...due to container configuration). This makes the d rings slightly higher than my equipment tie gown points.

Be right back with a d-ring picture.

Mitch Hoy

@climbhightree, how much does that rig weigh? Do you find yourself ever dumping the roll off within extension before you pad out to a tree? What is your extension? If you have a thread on your build, I would like to see it.

Merle Nelson

Nice set up ClimbHigh.

Any reason to stay with a rolloff truck rather than hooklift???

@xman has a hooklift on his crane and a 20 foot shipping container with cut down doors to chip into. @Lumberjack has a hooklift. Hooklift can load a can inside another can for one thing.

I have a smaller hooklift on a Ram 5500. A 10 foot can that is a little narrower, was built to load into an 11 foot can that is a foot or so wider. Can load one inside the other, take them both to the job.

climbhightree

@climbhightree, how much does that rig weigh? Do you find yourself ever dumping the roll off within extension before you pad out to a tree? What is your extension? If you have a thread on your build, I would like to see it.
53,900 lbs....i should have gotten a drop axle put on. It was in the original plan, but I nixed it since I didn't really need it. Found out later that my load capacity is only 5000 lbs till my axles are "overweight". My hooklift is rated for 40,000 lbs.

Not following your other question, sorry. I'll find the thread link and post it.

climbhightree

Mitch Hoy

I have a smaller hooklift on a Ram 5500. A 10 foot can that is a little narrower, was built to load into an 11 foot can that is a foot or so wider. Can load one inside the other, take them both to the job.
This deserves a thread. Who did the fab for your russian doll cans?

Barc Buster

Nice set up ClimbHigh.

Any reason to stay with a rolloff truck rather than hooklift???

@xman has a hooklift on his crane and a 20 foot shipping container with cut down doors to chip into. @Lumberjack has a hooklift. Hooklift can load a can inside another can for one thing.

Not sure how they do it but there is a picture of 3 cans stacked inside each other on the u dump website: