Rigging Gear

Steve Connally

If you are using round slings I would go with the Span Set or Gunnabo hooks instead of the shackles
Those Spanset Joker Hooks are nice. I can't find a price online anywhere. Do you know who sells them? I'd love the hooks but they are double(or more) the price of the shackle's. I did find these. Little more friendly.

Lumberjack

I use chain slings, with Crosby hardware. Surlock and Choker hooks with Eliminators for variable leg length. 9/32" and 3/8" G100 legs 15-35' long.

tc262

As the list of buying all the extras keep growing did you remember road and pedestrian signage, or at least a bunch of cones as a minimum?

Steve Connally

Yes I get cones with the truck and I'll eventually get signs. I love the chains but for the weight and the price is a lot more

Lumberjack

9/32" isn't bad, especially a single leg. The 2 35' leg 3/8" bridle is heavy, but it's rarely used.

The price isn't concern, it's unlikely to wear them out over the life of the crane. The 3/8" bridle mentioned above was under $900. The adjustability and versitilitiy were major selling points.

Z'sTrees

Thd GrabIQ ones look pretty nice too. We always use the cable eye to eyes and shackles that the crane co. provides. Chains seem like the ticket for sure.

allmark

Those Spanset Joker Hooks are nice. I can't find a price online anywhere. Do you know who sells them? I'd love the hooks but they are double(or more) the price of the shackle's. I did find these. Little more friendly.
The green are rated for 5300# and are $66
The Yellow are rated for 8400# and are $100
They are Span Set Joker Hooks
All Lifts 518-465-3461
The round slings are made in house. I have watched their operation. Thaey y knowledgeable and excellent to do business with.

Toomuchsawdust

I'm not very experienced with cranes, but the yellow 20' round slings (6400lbs each I think) and 12' slings with 3/4" Crosby shackles work very well and are versitile. 2 eacg. Actually.... I think you recommended those to me. Most importantly, pretty inexpensive. At about $60-$75 each. Double them up for stability. But you know all this. I got mine at Holland.

Remember, sometimes you'll have inexperienced and shitty climbers on your hook, keeping things simple and inexpensive might be the best. Maybe even wire chokers cause that's what people are used to dealing with. I'm not sure I'd hand someone who hasn't done spider legs the rope setup. Hope that can help.

Steve Connally

Just got my quote now a purchase order from J Henry Holland. Saved about $600 buying through them. Some of their prices were half of what Westec was asking. 6 Crosby sling saver shackles 6 round slings (various lengths and strengths for shackles and slings) 1 CM longreach shackel for climber tie in was just under a grand. Better than 1600