retracting reels

Jehinten

yes the 12 is a bit stronger action too. but still not enough to pull up the ascender.
You may have already done this, but these types of springs tend to pull harder the farther they are pulled out. Can the 12' reel be pulled out and cut to a length that still allows full movement? This would keep the spring wound tighter for a better pull on the ascender.

treebing

You may have already done this, but these types of springs tend to pull harder the farther they are pulled out. Can the 12' reel be pulled out and cut to a length that still allows full movement? This would keep the spring wound tighter for a better pull on the ascender.
yes they do. but still not quite enough by itself.

treebing

20180406_220320_Burst01-1.jpg this is how I have the back of the pantin set up. it was interesting to find out that you don't want to attach the foot tether directly below the cam in the horizontal strap slots. the pantin doesn't engage. if I'm trying to go fast I need to clip the hole on the pantin with a carabiner because it will pop off if your not measured. in sure a c.t. would work fine. the foot ascenders in general seem to have looser springs than the chesties. and plus they are smaller.

Last edited:

treebing

if anyone wants me to make them one, let me know. PM me I've got a lot of. both gammon and allmark reels here. electric tape is a bit crude so thinking of better options. I want a better string, spider wire spectra or something. right now I have used throw line which I see is a bit chunky. more friction. If you go to a three pound spring, you sacrifice either length of pull or bulk of the whole unit. there is also speed, the stronger the spring the faster you can go but again you start having to increase size of whole unit. My preferences have swerved towards as small and light as possible.

39Buick

Really like your idea, I wonder if a larger heat shrink would offer the protection of your device. I haven't put my hands on one any of those devices your using so you may have to trim a bit once its heated and shrank around the device as to not interfere with the function. I have used it in bunch of other applications and the stuff is very durable. Did a quick search and the stuff is available in just about any size and color you could think of! Would also give a nice surface for those cool Singing Tree decals!! Any way just a thought!!
Would playing with the spring tension on the various ascenders help in reducing the friction on the rope?

Last edited:

treebing

yeah, pretty much any ascender. I was curious what using a king duck or a rockman or any little bity thing would be like. what's the friction like on those.