retracting reels

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by treebing, Apr 3, 2018.

1. treebing

treebing Well-Known Member

There was some discussion in the other threads regarding the knee ascender and using a retracting reel. I definitely think it is the way to go at this point. Experimented with the Gammon reel per surveyors thoughts, but they were too weak unless I stacked three of them together. I then found a tool reel online that is designed for two lbs of lift. I wrapped it in foam packing to protect the plastic and its good to go. It really is compact. I put the real on my chest harness and run it to the ascender and its off to the races. So far I can see nothing really wrong with the set up and a lot of advantages over the bungee method. The main being I can take really high steps and also it is very adjustable and it is very compact. I have been using this one for the last few weeks and see no real downside yet. ascender.jpg

2. treebing

hseII and Flex Abednego like this.
  3. treebing

the tether to the foot loop is 4 strands of braided throw line with a turks head at the end. It is very easily adjustable just using a classic brummel. the foot loop is the amazing foot loop from the SAKA and that can almost stay on my foot the entire climb although it has fallen off a few times because the elastic is worn. I just ordered a new one but haven't used it yet.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. 39Buick

39Buick Member

That's too cool! Great idea!!

5. treebing

the Gammon reel was a great suggestion by Surveyor and I have found that they are great for a hansaw reel and a my pocket wedge. Great little reel but not very efficient or fast enough for the knee ascender
    gammon.jpg

Tom Lynch and surveyor like this.
  6. jmcscrap

jmcscrap Active Member

I like it! Have you thought about contacting a company that manufactures these spring reels to see what it would take to make a small one with enough force to drag the ascender up the rope? I think I have an old business card around from a company that works with these reels, I will see if I can find it and pass it on if interested. I can't remember the name of the top of my head.....

7. treebing

this one drags up the ascender just fine. It is about as small and light as I could imagine really. I clip it to my bra and hardly notice its there.

hseII and jmcscrap like this.
  8. treebing

the allmark reel is stout. the gammon reel is not so much. there is quite a difference in ascender drag too. this old pantin is faster than the croll, c.t., or SAKA ascender. I'd like to try the camp because it is small. you only need a foot ascender with this. a chest ascender I think is unnecessary bulk.

hseII and Treetopflyer like this.
  9. treebing

the allmark is meant to be wall mounted so its got a square mounting plate that you could shave off to make the appearance smaller. but the hole is handy to clip your micro biner or my nite ize clips so I chose not to shave it off but the spring and coil is only 1 3/4 inch diameter. the string is stainless steel. one of the problems with the gammon was too light of a string. you want something a little hefty.

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  10. evo

evo Well-Known Member

They say on the product info they can make them stronger and longer if needed. I wonder if a 3# would be a best for a basic or croll type ascender

11. treebing

it might, but I think that just selecting a better ascender with less drag and bulk is the way to go. this does pull the croll and the ct up the rope but it could use some more zip. two strapped together is not really that bulky and it flys anything up the rope.

12. treebing

20180405_094842.jpg this is how I wear it.

13. treebing

I think I am going to remove the niteize link from the retractor to the pantin. this will make it a little tighter. I haven't felt any need to unclip them from each other so its unnecessary.

14. surveyor

surveyor Well-Known Member

The gammon reel comes in two string lengths, 6' and 12', I would say the spring strength is about the same in both, but I prefer the somewhat smoother action of the 12'

15. treebing

yes the 12 is a bit stronger action too. but still not enough to pull up the ascender. before I got the allmark reel I tried a number of things. two 12 footers together works. it takes 3 6 footers. the string is delicate too so I he swapped out for throw line. but this 2 pound allmark reel is all it takes. the body is a bit fragile so protective foam wrapping I think is a must.

surveyor likes this.
  16. treebing

these are two that I made with gammon reels. one is three the other four. these are the six footers. one of the nice things about the gammon reels is they are very sturdy plastic. the allmark is lighter duty plastic. these are much bulkier than the allmark. but these do work well too. 20180406_110423.jpg

jmcscrap and Santiago Casanova like this.
  17. Santiago Casanova

Santiago Casanova Well-Known Member

I think this forum has some some of the smartest and most creative people I have never meet, and the ones I have met are smart and creative as well.

18. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

Yes...and willing to share freely

19. Barc Buster

Barc Buster New Member

Will the guts of the allmark reels fit in the housing of the gammon. Best of both worlds...

hseII, moss and treebing like this.
  20. treebing

the allmark has an open back and I did use a piece of the gammon to cap it. ill try that though I think I think the reel would fit right in that casing.

Barc Buster likes this.