Reduce Workers Comp

Time to renew my workers comp. No incidents since I started three years ago in NC. I am looking for ways to reduce this huge expense. Any suggestions / recommendations that keep me legal but also creative is appreciated. Amerisafe was recommended via Jeff Chandler, South East Agency Group, so far. Thx!

Tr33Climb3r

For us in Wisconsin workers comp is driven by the state. They set the rates. End of story. We have a safe culture as well. We currently have amerisafe. They are good.
As you grow there are sometimes more options to add categories. For us we have four I believe. If you have accurate payroll they may allow you to work in different categories based on what your doing. We have a special category for planting for example.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For us in Wisconsin workers comp is driven by the state. They set the rates. End of story. We have a safe culture as well. We currently have amerisafe. They are good.
As you grow there are sometimes more options to add categories. For us we have four I believe. If you have accurate payroll they may allow you to work in different categories based on what your doing. We have a special category for planting for example.

Same here on the categories, except ! That WCB made us pay the rate for the highest income job! Wtf? We had a lawn maintenance wing as well but it made less per year than the tree side. Therefore we had to pay the same rate for our lawn workers as tree workers! Ergo we ended the lawn business a few years ago and now solely do tree work.

Well that is a bunch of crap.
Which part? The rate? Or am I mistaken? Cuz they made it perfectly clear to my wife... she does the books. We were both flabbergasted! You can’t tell me cutting lawns is as hazardous as tree work? Oh well, it was quit the lawns or form a separate company.

Tr33Climb3r

Same here on the categories, except ! That WCB made us pay the rate for the highest income job! Wtf? We had a lawn maintenance wing as well but it made less per year than the tree side. Therefore we had to pay the same rate for our lawn workers as tree workers! Ergo we ended the lawn business a few years ago and now solely do tree work.
Correct you must use highest rated category. Some companies may allow punching into different categories only if your books are clean and organized. We have yet to find that company.

Correct you must use highest rated category. Some companies may allow punching into different categories only if your books are clean and organized. We have yet to find that company.

What do you mean “ We”? Are you with Revenue Canada? My books are professionally done each year, we keep a log of our hours for each job, receipts for our purchases related to the work, Kms logged for each vehicle, wages payed out etc. All neatly done on excel spread sheets. But still, Revenue Canada will not allow a different rate.

Tr33Climb3r

What do you mean “ We”? Are you with Revenue Canada? My books are professionally done each year, we keep a log of our hours for each job, receipts for our purchases related to the work, Kms logged for each vehicle, wages payed out etc. All neatly done on excel spread sheets. But still, Revenue Canada will not allow a different rate.
By we I mean us as a company. We are in the United States. Wisconsin specifically.