Redneck engineering

pctree

Probably shouldn't share this as it is Im sure in violation of many standards but hey might give the crowd a few ideas. We were presented with a tree that had failed and partially fallen into a nice "save tree". There were 2 contact points that I could see with the lowest being at about 60' so my dilemma was how to ensure the log didn't fall when we cut below that point. No substantial anchor points behind tree.IMG_0324.jpg

pctree

OK so heres the redneck part. One tool at my disposal is an old beet to fuck knuckle boom that in a perverse way I love. Chained stump to frame of truck so truck couldn't be pushed away and then raised boom and with the extension cylinders pushed on the tree. It came right off of the contact point!!! Freakin score !! Rest was just mundane crane pics.IMG_0326.jpg

pctree

And yes I realize the boom isn't designed to push but can't imagine the bolt circle on the turntable failing...

TheTreeSpyder

Devil's Advocate:
Perhaps with large pulley, stump, rope could have used pure lift force to re-divert w/o truck in path?

hseII

OK so heres the redneck part. One tool at my disposal is an old beet to fuck knuckle boom that in a perverse way I love. Chained stump to frame of truck so truck couldn't be pushed away and then raised boom and with the extension cylinders pushed on the tree. It came right off of the contact point!!! Freakin score !! Rest was just mundane crane pics.View attachment 52539
1st of All,
That’s a Win!!

I think what that other fellow is asking is, “do you think you could have set a mechanical advantage, like a 5:1 MA connected to another pulley coming off a large pull line that was tied in to the base of a adjacent Big tree & possibly achieved similar results?”

P.S.,
I don’t have a beater Knuckle Boom, or even a nice Knuckle boom, so I am jealous.

96coal449

Redneck win but, I would have been worried of cylinder creep. Especially from an ole beat to fuck K-boom.

treebilly

Always thinking Paul! I like the redneck inginuity. I think Kenny was just asking if there was a more conventional way
Hoping to see the fleet and chat with ya next week. Not quite sure on my wife’s travel itinerary yet. I’ll catch ya Monday or Thursday

evo

We built pushing dawgs for jib on the HIAB at my old job. Never anything too extreme, just more than one would want to wedge over, or a single person could tag without complex rigging. Worked great for nudging trees that were uprooted and hanging in others.

96coal449

BTW @pctree, do you still have Brutus?
If so, how's it been treating you. Any dislikes towards a conehead? For instance, blade maintenance?

TheTreeSpyder

When finishing felling big trees w/crane;
crane operators aren't supposed to pull sideways, only fixed overhead to keep geometries predictable, also wouldn't want last 10-25ft. coming suddenly down and snatching boom.
My solution was to mount big block low on another trunk/solid anchor and pull properly up/reel in cable directly over that anchor; with crane
and redirect that force to target more safely to pull tree over.
No chance of jerking on boom, also crane not on loaded axis of fall; i think is cleaner mechanix.
i think muscling/arm wrestling tree over makes thicker hinge,for softer, more controlled fall to lawn etc.
Also,if some sideLean i try not to feed directly into it's most powerful pull, make it a sideLean w/tapered hinge to feed into the not so strong forward pull, not the most severe pull (where she wants to go).
i work Tapered Hinge against sideLean for shituations:
A>sideLean to clear target
B>practice
C>proposed scenario whereby purposefully not felling into most severe gravity pull,but rather to side to proposedly incurring less falling force
i'm all for Redneck Engineering; but like to show can still cover all same points!