Redirects

KevinS

My favourite is to get one main rigging point when possible and rig as much into that point as possible. This point is often dictated by availability of landing zone.
I read on here a lot about redirects and I use them to avoid things but not as often as some people make them sound.

My question is what are your main perimeters on when and when not to use a redirect?
Do you typically use them in all your setups or just when you need to hulk up lighter duty rigging points, etc

KevinS

I use them all the time. Any where I have multiple leads to rig out. Set the main anchor in whatever lead is going to be easiest to do last, and move my redirect around as needed elsewhere in the tree
Even if it’s not needed for strength you still use it each time? If so why?

Sometimes I use it for rope management to keep less experienced guys out of the landing zone area

Rope management and convenience mostly. It also allows me the option of rigging something with a small swing followed up by a big swing, or vice versa if I wanted to, depending on what's appropriate for the dropzone

For me bending a line of loaded force from 1 main run includes bending the run to increase or decrease friction without repositioning line.
High-Angle support line bent to different paths,even from another tree is very serviceable and increasingly more predictable thru day. Also quickly convert to 2:1 lowering with another anchor and pulley/sling; AND modify delivery to where might not have been able to redirect to then load also more manageable between both supports for ground control
Also to same concept , especially with high center mast support\rig can reverse and use control side of line for rig. This can also help in taking down tree , and keeping balanced load. Especially if rig legs serve thru upside down U (multiple supports fairy horiz across) rather than upside down V (mono support)

Jem4417

Block or pulley where your going to take the top then redirect through natural crotches throughout the climb. Key is to plan your route to work from the bottom up or in some cases top down. Each removal will have some different scenarios but that’s my consistent thought process

Crimsonking

As needed. Redirects are great for getting a better drop zone. Even though the main stem may be okay, if there is a stem that positions the majority of the pieces better for the ground crew, it’s worth setting the redirect. Of course, as originally stated, they’re necessary for avoiding obstacles. Otherwise, when working compromised or dead trees, redirects do offer peace of mind by sharing load and directing forces to compression rather than sheer.

Last week I was removing an ash whose canopy was half dead. The section closest to the material exit on the ground was dead, so I set the main on the living stem in the back below my tie-in, and redirected to the dead stem to create the best angle for loading while landing loads close to the mini’s path. Especially when working compromised structures, I prefer the friction of rings for all my rigging points.

Daniel

You'll find that when woking from the bucket truck there is a tendency to use more redirects than when climbing. It's easier to set and move them from the bucket and becasue there s less mobilit in a bucket, you need them more than when climbing.. I like to keep a few short slings and shackles or rings etc in the bucket when rigging anything technical...

I like combining the rigging gear with natural crotch .. DO it A LOT.. call it "hybrid rigging"..