Red Oak chlorosis

Discussion in 'Pesticides and Ferts' started by Tyler Durden, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

I just finished diagnosing a red oak in town that was beginning to get pretty chlorotic. I was wondering what successful techniques you guys have had to introduce iron to a mature tree. There are no known root issues and the tree is not a candidate for a root collar excavation, so a soil deficiency was my diagnosis. Thank you for all your guys help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Soil test, tissue test. Mn and Fe and others can be pretty similiar as far as foliar symptoms are concerned.

Root damage or soil compaction? Poor drainage? Vascular disease? Soil contamination? Part of diagnostic steps is getting a site and maintenance history. HOs can be helpful or forgetful...

How old is the tree? If it's mature, nutritional chlorosis usually just doesn't show up later in life.

Attached Files:

Tyler Durden likes this.
  3. Tyler Durden

Thanks man

JD3000 likes this.
  4. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

My apologies Tyler, I didn't read your post closely enough re root issues.

5. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

If it's Fe, mulch WIDE and soil inject Fe EDDHA chelate for a shorter term fix.

Sulfur may help but you'll need to have some soil data first before applying.

Tyler Durden likes this.
  6. Tyler Durden

I did I did a full site investigation there is no signs of new construction nor soil compaction issues. The tree has a very healthy root flare though only about one-third of the drip Zone is exposed turf. This is Texas and we are known to have very poor soil.
    I was going to start with the treestuff iron and sulfur tablets and go from there.
    Also if I could get some insight on how to price phc jobs I would greatly appreciate it. Currently I am just making wild guesses.

7. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

I wont scold you...as you know pricing and profitability is everything. I bet your climbing, pruning, removal, etc estimating is on point but PHC is different.

I'll send you some paperwork as soon as I have an opportunity to actually sit at my desk regarding product pricing. Basically you'll need to know price of: product (and use rate), per 100 gl, per 1gl.

Figuring your labor and product mark up will depend on the market your working in. For example, I'm in a competitive market with several really good arborists BUT it's Ohio so pricing and cost of living is lower than many other parts of the country.

PHC treatments are generally $150-$200 per hour, much less for fert jobs. RCX and other Air Spade work depends on if you rent or own. I own so its a little more reasonable.