Rec harness?

Burrapeg

. . . One of us is doing something wrong. . .
I am not sure there is a right or wrong here. There are so many physical body types, different gear configs, and different styles of climbing that it simply comes down to what works for a particular individual in a particular tree.

ATH

resurrecting an old thread as I've climbed on a couple of harnesses mentioned here since: both the Singing Rock Timber 3D and the Petzl Avao.

Both are pretty comfortable, but the Timber 3D wins hands down. While it is not as versatile as the treeMotion, I think it rivals it for comfort. I haven't spent hours on end in the Singing Rock as I have the Tree Motion, but it felt good the time I did.

Things I did not like as much about the Avao:
*kinda squeezes things together a little too much in the front
*I've grown to really like the floating D. The floating part is nice...but the orientation (vertical) of the ring vs. the (horizontal) "D" on the front of the Avao feels better. that is probably more of what I am used to than a "good vs. bad" thing.
*The center D sits lower than the floating bridges.
*While the Timber 3D does have quick release buckles, the straps on the Avao adjust pretty easily...still like the buckles. Even the adjustments on the Timber 3D are easy...(that is one thing negative I will say about the Tree Mo compared to these 2 - it is not easy to tighten leg loops.)

Not a bad harness....just not as nice as the Singing Rock. The Avao does fit much smaller sizes than the Timber 3D, so that is good.

Last edited:

ATH

I do think it would be. There are fewer tool attachment points than others out there, but there are options.

The last several posts of this thread had turned into a discussion about preferences for lanyard attachment. I prefer the side D's, so this works great. for those who like attaching at the bridge Ds on the TreeMo or Sequoia, that is not an option with the Timber 3D...wouldn't stop me from considering it, but you gotta like where the lanyard snaps in. I did not try the lower rings to see if the lanyard works in those...didn't even cross my mind. I'll try those next time (not sure when that will be). I think a biner would fit, but probably not snaps.

I climbed both moving rope and stationary rope with it and it fit me well for both.

swingdude

De' Island Buzzer
Buy cheap get cheap. Tree climbing is about comfort and function. I never buy cheap. My son moved from a twist to the 2019 sequoia reg. Side Ds lowerDs and double bridge....winning.

ATH

Buy cheap get cheap. Tree climbing is about comfort and function. I never buy cheap. My son moved from a twist to the 2019 sequoia reg. Side Ds lowerDs and double bridge....winning.
I agree...but the Timber 3D is a nice low cost harness - especially for a rec use. Like I said, I haven't spent hours in it, but I like it for the time I spent in it.

When it comes to something that I will spend a lot of time using, I start to realize that an extra $300 spread over a few hundred (or thousand) hours of use just doesn't amount to very much $$$. That goes for about all of my equipment, and clothing. For example: Yes...ArborWear Canopy pants are the most expensive pants I have ever owned, but I have 2 pair - with the first being several years old and having been worn in probably a couple hundred trees - still going strong. $0.50 per climb for really comfortable pants that last (so I don't need to waste more time shopping) sounds like a bargain now.

TreeMotion at $600 vs. Timber 3D for $300. Rec climbing....don't need tool attachments so I think I'd strongly recommend the Singing Rock. Work climbing...How often are you going to use it to make the versatility of the Teufelberger worth it??? Not like you cannot hang stuff off of the Timber 3D. A climber just getting started... $300 slows down how much other equipment they can invest in.

Nickstulz

I gotta say that I really like my monkey beaver. It is my first saddle besides my old buckingham tree belt. But that was short lived and 15 years ago. It was a toss up between the treemo lite and the mb. I chose August just as I’ve chose Richard vs bigger corporations for some of my gear. I held out and bought the saddle last. Learned from dirtbikes that you save for the best and spend it once and gear up before you buy the bike. So I had a small collection of gear that I scored from treebay before I ended up in a tree. As in all my basic access stuff plus some things I didn’t use right away. So if you have all the other gear for a second climbing kit. Don’t skimp on the saddle. Get the tm lite or the mb. Good enough isn’t good enough.

On the side d’s and rig plates/low d’s topic. I love suspending off my rig plates with my lanyard as I make canopy maneuvers or drt in a traverse/limb walk or using my Captain Hook . To me they are in valuable for the second tie in. I’ve hung off the side d’s and that is brutally painful for me given a slightly twisted pelvis. So those are for my captain when traversing, traversing maneuvers, leaning outta a crotch for a standing rest as well as storage. I generally hang from the bridge rig plates every time I climb so I can swing from a different dangle angle. I am so glad they are there. I’m so glad I got a work saddle for pleasure. The extra couple pounds means nothing to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Bob

Could a climber clip into the webbing bridge shackles on the Singing Rock Timber 3d? Looks like it would be possible but crowded. Or maybe attach quick links to the shackles for a lanyard attachment point?

climbstihl

Could a climber clip into the webbing bridge shackles on the Singing Rock Timber 3d? Looks like it would be possible but crowded. Or maybe attach quick links to the shackles for a lanyard attachment point?
You should be able to do that, I did the same on my old saddle.

Reactions: ATH