Rated? What does it mean

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by BigJon, Aug 12, 2002.

1. treeclimber165

treeclimber165 New Member

Sorry, but DDM's website stinks. I wasn't able to get any useful info at all.

2. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Longest registered member

Take a look at the ISC site. This is the company that "The Wizard of Iron", Denny Moorhouse owns: http://iscwales.com/

When you read the site, take a look at the "alternative history" A good chuckle!

Today in my mailbox I got a letter from ISC about the new Quadlock system. I'm anxious to see what Denny brings over to Expo in his bag. IF you want to know anything about metallurgy, Denny is "The Man". A fun guy to talk to, he doesn't mince words.

Tom

3. Riggs

Riggs Well-Known Member

I just purchased safety line with a micro acsender , just so I could get a piece of equipment that is stickered or stamped(thanks to this thread somewhat) . The manufacture stamp is made for people who don't use it . I used it for two days and the stamp is not gonna last much longer .Than what? The sticker is so cheap it was put on to make sure it falls off . [​IMG]

4. BigJon

BigJon Member

Riggs that is what I am talking about. In two days you will have a piece of useful equipment you paid good money for but you can't climb on it at the competition. This is the exact problem I see. How do you get these unmarked items through inspection. I found that if doesnt pass it doesn't matter cause when it is time to climb you just use it anyway because no one pays attention and is under the impression everything you have with you passed.

5. MrPez

MrPez New Member

I understand your concerns Riggs.

This is something that the Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations(LOLER) set out to prevent in the UK. All equipment used for lifting or lowering (including climbing - a very precious load to your folks) has to carry an identification mark, so as not to confuse it with another item. All lifting equipment has to be inspected every 6 months by an independent qualified person, or every 12 months for rigging gear. Rigging gear also needs to be marked to differentiate it from climbing gear. A WLL needs to be available for that piece of equipment - either marked on it or cross referenced to paper work.

If you buy equipment carrying a CE mark (Some American ropes do) then a copy of the declaration of conformity can be requested for your records (I am surprised more manufacturers don't undertake EU conformity on their products - its as big a market as the USA). You can then mark your gear to cross reference that. I mark all my climbing gear with my initials, then a 'C' for climbing, or an 'R' for rigging. Then I give it a unique number. That way, when I have a krab with a sticking gate and I have ten of them the same type, I know which one it is I need to lubricate. It also prevents arguments about whose krab is whose if one was borrowed.

Not everyone bothers with this marking requirement, because it cannot be effectively policed. But when an accident occurs, there is a very heavy book waiting to drop on employer's/ self employed's heads!

To mark hardware, we recommend a light engraving on a non-load bearing part if possible. On krabs, the barrel on the gate is best. Manufacturers have been quite understanding about this, it helps when it's a requirement of government initiatives! [​IMG] Equipment supplied by 'Fujikura' arborist supplies, comes with a very neat laser etching on every item and a copy of conformity supplied. This saves days of marking equipment and writing up paper work - just buy it and file it. It also makes it easy for them to recall equipment batches found to be suspect.

This links with one of the questions that started all this

"Shouldn't there be a law .........that any equipment used for someones personal safety carry a permanent rating?"

Well, this is the UK's answer, and when the 'Temporary Work At Height Directive' comes into force, all members of the European Union will share similar obligations.

6. sweetgum

sweetgum New Member

22 kn carabiners were not allowed in Seattle. The Special Advisor made a distinct and clear announcement at the meeting on Friday night. Heard it with my own 2 ears. [​IMG]

7. Momyce

Momyce New Member

Why they weren't allowed? What's wrong with them lol

Tom Dunlap likes this.
  8. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Welcome, they have to be 23 kN or more in US. That's just 225 lbs. more break strength. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

9. cerviarborist

cerviarborist Well-Known Member

Nothing's wrong with them as long as you're not using them for a task which falls under the ANSI Z. Because when it comes to standards, you're either in compliance...or out.

10. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

They just have to draw a line somewhere and stick to it, because most people can't find there own ass with two hands and a gps

JD3000 likes this.