ramps for mini skid

Just wondering if anyone uses ramps to load a mini into a truck. I'm trying to eliminate pulling another trailer.

treevet

Best and easiest and quickest load and unload is a tilt trailer or dropgate trailer. Once you begin ramping you take away the ease of the machine and add some dread to the process. I have both a tilt and a dropgate and use them both at times.

flyingsquirrel25

Did you add springs or a helper set to that ez dumper chip box set up flying squirrel?
No additional helpers. The 350 is good for the 7 yards of wood chip and chipper. Would like to put air bags under it but haven't made that decision yet. I would rather buy a seperate chip truck and use this for my dump trailer and mini. But it's all in how the money comes in this summer.

southsoundtree

Petes--- how high is your loading height, and weight of your machine?

I load @ 42", with 10'/ 10K discountramps.com ramps.

There is another thread going, recently posted in, which is similar.

I'll have to measure the height of the bucket but I know it's comparable to the height of a pick up bed. Machine weight is around 2500 lbs.

southsoundtree

I'll have to measure the height of the bucket but I know it's comparable to the height of a pick up bed. Machine weight is around 2500 lbs.
I'd mock up the ramp with a board, and use a clinometer app to measure the angle at different ramp lengths.

A perk of a ramp that is shorter than the bed length is that it fits 'straight' in, taking up less space than a 10' ramp in an 8' bed.

BRT

Here's how we are currently set up. These are 10' ramps (discountramps.com) coming off a 42" deck from the back of an F-550. I wish they were longer, but there is a trade-off with weight and storage. The key is to bring the mini out close to the break-over point, then rotate the grapple forward to contact the ramps. Then advance the machine until you get a little weigh on the grapple. At that point, slowly increase (what would be) bucket angle (ie, rotate the grapple backward)--in this way, the machine slowly pivots the front of the tracks onto the ramps. **This prevents the excitement of trying to "ease" over the break-over point using the tracks alone--it is a scary experience--I know first hand!

This setup could be better, but it is what I have at present. BTW, I do not let my workers take this machine off the truck. The advantage is, I show up at a job site with a chip truck, chipper, mini, and stump grinder all in one rig. For all but the biggest jobs, it's been a compact setup that works efficiently for us.

PS. As you can see, we have a small stump grinder. I grind with it attached to the mini just like you see it coming off the truck. Gives all sorts of stability to the machine, and also great ease of maneuverability. Need a bigger grinder, but that's a year or so away.
12804354_10153537562103691_130842655_n.jpg 10299430_10153537561843691_1450284944_n.jpg 12595999_10153537562598691_1762160674_n.jpg 12822814_10153537561708691_1705620711_o.jpg 12842560_10153537562968691_312780799_o.jpg
Note: These ramps are 2500lbs per axle. Also, I beefed up the attachments on the bumper.

That would absolutely kill me to have to empty the truck to bring the units and to bring home the units...kill me.

Such a tedious load and unload compared to low trailers.
Another truck, another trailer, another driver that some of us may not have! Tedious to you, fits someone else's operation perfect. I hauled my machine back home today in the back of my truck, saved an hour of time and a 30 mile round trip. Well worth dumping the truck.... That needed to happen anyhow.

BRT

Another truck, another trailer, another driver that some of us may not have! Tedious to you, fits someone else's operation perfect. I hauled my machine back home today in the back of my truck, saved an hour of time and a 30 mile round trip. Well worth dumping the truck.... That needed to happen anyhow.
See that PVC sheathing on my roof? Got that idea from you buddy. Thanks again!

Merle Nelson

BRT, PVC sheathing? Is that the thick material used in agriculture?

I'm thinking of using that on the floor and sides of a dump trailer to spread out forces when logs are set/dropped in it. Anyone know of material that would work better?

Ramps look like a nice set up for an all in one operation.

squad143

Lift your dump box so that the angle of the box is the same as the angle of the ramps ( or close to it) and you'll eliminate the "break over" factor on a tracked skid steer.

I prefer loading my machine onto my dump trailer than into the back of my chip truck (Dodge 3500), but on certain jobs it is more economical to only bring the one truck.

Watch those ramps when they're slippery (mud/rain).

BRT, PVC sheathing? Is that the thick material used in agriculture?

I'm thinking of using that on the floor and sides of a dump trailer to spread out forces when logs are set/dropped in it. Anyone know of material that would work better?

Ramps look like a nice set up for an all in one operation.
Merle it is a product called Poly max from farm tech. They use it all over the AG industry but most notably as horse stalls. Very durable material but rather flexible. It might work for you purpose