Rain day RCX

ATH

It seemed like the light drizzle was going to stick around so I decided it would be a good day to head to the next town north and do root collar excavations. It wasn't a drizzle.....but oh well. They are done and I am dry now. Was just going to post pics of the first one, but the second earned a spot too.

Sugar maple. What are the chances this dude has a stem girdling root down there?

20181101_114512.jpg

Here it is opened up (taken from opposite side):

20181101_120036.jpg

It wasn't gonna come out easily. I'm curious about opinions. What would you do with that mess on the left? I left it in place not wanting to take off too much at once. The one on the right is where the trunk is deformed so I started with that one. Also took off the piece on the 'front' (in this picture). I cut both ends, but that one on the right still wasn't budging. I ended up splitting it. A small portion is still in there, but it is not attached to anything so it is done causing problems and will come out over time.

Here it is done (stood a little further to the right when taking the pic).

20181101_123535.jpg

ATH

#2 is a Tricolor beech.

It has developed a significant secondary roots (on the left side and back side). The primary root system is down there somewhere.

20181101_134620_001.jpg

This is the back side:
20181101_134631.jpg
I thought that bulge was a root wrapped around when I first saw it, but it isn't. Maybe how the graft has grown given the conditions???

And a couple of 'after' pics:
20181101_140642.jpg

20181101_140651.jpg

JD3000

It seemed like the light drizzle was going to stick around so I decided it would be a good day to head to the next town north and do root collar excavations. It wasn't a drizzle.....but oh well. They are done and I am dry now. Was just going to post pics of the first one, but the second earned a spot too.

Sugar maple. What are the chances this dude has a stem girdling root down there?

View attachment 54899

Here it is opened up (taken from opposite side):

View attachment 54900

It wasn't gonna come out easily. I'm curious about opinions. What would you do with that mess on the left? I left it in place not wanting to take off too much at once. The one on the right is where the trunk is deformed so I started with that one. Also took off the piece on the 'front' (in this picture). I cut both ends, but that one on the right still wasn't budging. I ended up splitting it. A small portion is still in there, but it is not attached to anything so it is done causing problems and will come out over time.

Here it is done (stood a little further to the right when taking the pic).

View attachment 54901
I think it's good, err on the side of caution and finish in a few years.

ATH

Grade away for positive drainage and air on the wounds?
Unfortunately...no. These are in the middle of flat yards. Gonna have to sit in bowls. Best I can do is ask the owner to not fill those in with mulch. On a good note, the soil is a little sandy so it will drain decently.

guymayor

"The one on the right is where the trunk is deformed so I started with that one."
Good idea.
" A small portion is still in there, but it is not attached to anything so it is done causing problems and will come out over time."
Are you sure? It looks like a major problem still connected, that could be removed with a little more chiseling .It takes just a shred of tissue to prevent the mythical pushing-off of semi-severed roots.

"Here it is done (stood a little further to the right when taking the pic).
Wider and deeper will finish the job--next time?

Last edited: