Quitting.

theXman

I'll tell ya what hurts.

Hiring someone with a good college related background. Train them for a season. Paying them more than what they are putting out cause you want to invest in them. Give them a large (I think so anyway) Christmas bonus. And soon after that vacation, they decide they shouldn't have moved away from all their friends and family.

I think the first year you employ someone, you are putting out more money than what they are returning in work output. Cause you spend a lot of time teaching them and they simply need to put in lots of hours with the basic ground-work, BUT you want them to stick around so you pay them well at the same time.

These set-backs are irritating. Next season was going to be a good one for this person.

I will pay more attention to whether the new employee is moving from far away or is more local next time. They should have some type of family or friends in the state you employ them, I think (now).

Colin

Administrator
Administrator
It's unfreakingbelievable how hard it is to get, and then KEEP good hands. And it doesn't really matter if you pay them well, most still act a fool.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
That's a tough one. I know how you're feeling.

A buddy of mine had a bonus plan for his employees. The got there base wage. Then, on the anniversary of their employment they got a dollar per hour for the year. If they quit at 364 days, no bonus. If they quit and came back the calendar starts at day 1. He found that this was a way to extend the tenure of his employees.

cory

So if they worked 2000 hours that year, they'd get $2000?

Btw, Craig and Terry have a great song about quitting (I think its called They'll Quit..)

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Cory,

You're on the right track. It could be more though. No time and a half calculation though.

stevebullman

the problem is, that anyone who turns out good is inevitable going to go out on their own at some point? and irritating as it is after you've spent time training them is it really justifiable to begrudge them the chance of their own success??

Colin

Administrator
Administrator
I once worked for a company that made you sign a "no compete" contract. The jist of it was if you quit you couldn't work for another tree co for two years. HA. I signed it, but never worried too much about it. They're out of business now.

Kevin

[ QUOTE ]
They should have some type of family or friends in the state you employ them,

[/ QUOTE ]

X, you should have adopted him. /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mangoes

Hard call.....last company I worked for full time was a good company (maybe a little light on pay) good people, good equipment, hard working, hard playing. They were just too far away. I gave them a bit mor than a year though. On the too far away note, to make the commute time effective I had to travel the world's most expensive toll road...the 407 ETR. Did the math and over 4.5 years it cost me a little shy of $20 000.

XylemZorro

It pays to do a little "research" on a possible new hire. If someone's new around town, they'll probably mention it during the interview. Never liked hiring people that moved to the state recently, they don't know thier way around worth sheeet. /forum/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Babberney

[ QUOTE ]
I once worked for a company that made you sign a "no compete" contract. The jist of it was if you quit you couldn't work for another tree co for two years. HA. I signed it, but never worried too much about it. They're out of business now.

[/ QUOTE ]
I had to sign one for my first tree job. Didn't think much of it, since I didn't imagine I'd want to leave.

I quickly got the scoop from my fellow climbers: Texas is a right-to-work state, and nobody can stop you from earning a living in your chosen field. Which was a good thing, since the bosses were a**holes and I was out of there as soon as they agreed the one-year contract wasn't going to work for either of us.

k

rollacosta

iv'e had my fair share of good emloyees over the years..but after a few year's they all walk ,1 whent travelling to asia ,1 whent back to his family 100 mile's away ,another whent into hard landscapeing these 3 were the best the rest have all been on a scale of good to total looser's ,though the guy's i have now all seem pretty good...the funny thing is even money doesn't keep em /forum/images/graemlins/confused.gif..i must say if i had a vacancie i would re-emply 60% of my previous staff which aint bad in my book's

jerseywild

I hate to do this but you need a major slamming.

First its not whent, its went. /forum/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Second its not vacancie its vacancy. /forum/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Third its not travelling, its traveling. /forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Fourth its not landscapeing, its landscaping./forum/images/graemlins/bigcry.gif

Soirry buts I cauldn't heilp meself. /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif

Be cooool I am only funnin you.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
Someone a long time ago called the feature "spell check" Wrong name, it should be called "typing check" I think we can all spell better than we can tipe.

Until you've read John Paul Sanborn's posts for a while you shouldn't comment on typing or spelling :)

stevebullman

[ QUOTE ]

Soirry buts I cauldn't heilp meself. /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

actually in defence of rolla(beings as he gives me work) travelling does have 2 l's

Rupe

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

actually in defence of rolla(beings as he gives me work) travelling does have 2 l's

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to be a bore but it does have one L. If you travel, why would you add another L for travel(l)ing? And, by the way defence should be defense. We're not undoing a fence are we? Let's not get too tied up by these things though.

stevebullman

well according to my collins concise english dictionary it has 2 l's

rupe im dissapointed mate, i could have forgiven the yanks as they mess up the spelling in most of our wonderful language, but you really oughta know better /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rupe

Ok, I think we have a stale mate here. Initially I was using spell check on word (american english) but then I used the following searches and came up with

1 a : to journey through or over b : to follow (a course or path) as if by traveling

Further searches found

travelling was not found in the Cambridge International Dictionary of Phrasal Verbs

travelling was found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary in the following entries:
• travel
• travelling salesman

travelling was found in the Cambridge Dictionary of American English in the following entries:
• travel

So, it appears travelling is an american spelling, so rollercosta (being english) was still wrong.

Or , if I understand it correctly, travaling is a verb, to travel, so I'm right.

Travelling, is an adjective i.e. travelling salesman

I'm still confused, seems both ways work in different cicumstances..

Quits..?