Pull ups

jdhoward

How many can you do and how did you get netter at doing them? Overhand wide grip I might be able to do ten. Shoulder width palm facing me like 15+ maybe. Gaining 20lbs seems to not be the way to make them easier.

Sent from my Z796C using Tapatalk

Jem4417

Yea that's good advice too. You can also fly up and switch your hand positioning to a different grip. There are so many combos you can do but it's honestly the best work out for your arms and back

I use a Metolius training board to work on form, using the more difficult holes first, transition to medium, then the easiest jugs in each set, then Vice versa.
I find that when I can go to a round pull up bar, fresh,
I can bang out an extra couple reps each time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Z'sTrees

I use a few feet of junk rope with a stopper knot in each end thrown over a collar tie. I feel like it gives you better grip strength and is more like rope climbing.
In any type type pullup, form is everything, then you can work on reps or adding weights.

How many can you do and how did you get netter at doing them? Overhand wide grip I might be able to do ten. Shoulder width palm facing me like 15+ maybe. Gaining 20lbs seems to not be the way to make them easier.

Variety is great! High reps, low reps, fast pace 1 day, slow pace another, add weight, pyramid down. It all helps. Also try different bar thicknesses and body posture. L seat style is very difficult and can push you past a plateau.

jdhoward

So I've been thinking and it seems to me like its more beneficial to do pull ups for strength I.e with a vest or weight hanging from your belt. I haven't been in a situation where it seems that conditioning went into affect. Even rock climbing it was my hands and forearms that got tired. With tree climbing its my hands that get, not tired, but stiff. Seems like when I do need to pull my self up on a branch its just that one explosive move, also, same concept with rock climbing. Idk what yous guys thoughts are, but I'd like to hear the..

I invested in a 75lb weight vest and that thing kicks my arse. I can only do about 4 pull ups with the 75lbs, and 7-8 with the 50lbs. I can really fly through them without it on though. Best I ever did was 39 pull ups. Couldn't get the 40 for the life of me. If we are talking strict dead hangs, I can get around 20.

I disagree with the "don't kip" mentality. Kipping is like one handing a saw, its worth learning to do safely. You should do strict pull ups most of the time, but kipping teaches your body to do the most work with the least effort. (Think just pulling yourself up ddrt without humping the air).

A workout I use to do with some friends who were as nuts as I am is called murph. You run a mile, then do 100 pull ups, 200 push ups, and 300 jump squats. You finish it off by running another mile. Then you lay in bed for a couple days straight and ponder life.

Seriously though, a weight vest will really help out. Make sure you warm up before doing anything weighted (and don't static stretch before weight lifting, it increases likelihood of injury). I pulled a muscle in my back the first time I tried weighted pull ups without warming up, not fun.