PPE fo crane

allmark

So am I wrong or should a crane operator wear a hard hat(not in a cab)
I have seen posts elsewhere by several training organizations of operators taking a test on boom trucks and kbooms with no PPE. Isn’t that where the education begins. No PPE = no certification IMHO. What are your thoughts.

evo

I’m with you, we had a maple leader fail across the tree, balanced it wrong and the thing snapped in the middle. It rained down chunks of wood.
However, most the time with a crane related failure I don’t think an hardhat would do much

Fivepoints

If say it depends on the crane. Ours has a steel cage on top of the cab. I don't wear a helmet while operating it. I really don't see the need for it. If the cage doesn't stop whatever is coming at me, the helmet isn't going to either. Its also hard enough on your neck looking up all day. Having extra weigh on your head can't be helping with that either.

Now an open crane operators platform is a totally different story. I've seen smaller branches break off and slide all the way down the boom.

deevo

So am I wrong or should a crane operator wear a hard hat(not in a cab)
I have seen posts elsewhere by several training organizations of operators taking a test on boom trucks and kbooms with no PPE. Isn’t that where the education begins. No PPE = no certification IMHO. What are your thoughts.
No your right, I wear a helmet when running my enclosed swing cab even, I often get out when there is no load on, help clean up if needed, stretch my legs. But yeah if you running a K Boom or open air platform boom truck helmet for sure. It’s a work zone and I expect everyone in full PPE til we get in the trucks to go back to the yard.

BruceWayne

We always were our hard hats but mostly because of our communication systems are built into the ear muffs. We are sometimes getting out and looking at stuff so we always just were them anyway.

Gorman

Not to derail, but I’ve always wondered why you crane ops don’t have some sort of “airplane pillow” around your neck to alleviate the pain of constantly looking up.

JE Chop Nash

With the k boom remote we are often walking about, on and off the deck. PPE goes on when we get to job sites pretty much no matter what. I’ve had a team member slip on wet concrete and the sound his helmet made on the concrete was assurance that enforcing PPE is the way to go at all times. It’s ussually the small stuff that gets you - it’s not the big picks or risky felling because you’re already on high alert. A slip from the deck of the crane when you’re thinking about the next part of the job...could crack a skull.

jeremywht2008

about 3 minutes in.
I used to run a stand on one in the oil field and always wore one, more out of habit from working on the ground between picks than thinking whatever was in air was gonna bounce off my head if something went wrong and I'd be ok. Most any thing your picking up with a crane that falls on you will probably get you a free trip in an ambulance to the funeral home, and it'll keep the safety nazi's from zeroing in on you if any are present. Just wear it, don't become that one guy we all hear about