Powers spur scender

dmd

I had my rivets come loose too and Mike offered to fix it but I couldn't bare the thought of being without it. I took mine down to the hardware store and found some bolts that fit and nylon lock nuts.
It's important that the head of the screw doesn't stick up above the surrounding metal. If it does the cam might snag on the screw and not grab the rope.

Awesome tool, Thanks Mike!

treegongfu

I don't know if there is anything about bashlins that would present a unique fitment problem, but I would think oldoakman needs a set with no holes in them.

He could then mark and drill the holes himself.

I had to customize a shim to get them to fit the DMM geckos.

MikePowers321

I couldn't figure out a way to make a production version for Bashlins. The shank/gaff design is too odd and a real tight fit.

Drilling into the aluminum shank is definitely an option. You could utilize the upper hole of the gaff and a second bolt through the shank above it

treegongfu

I posted it at the time. It is at the top of page 15 of this thread.

"The spacer is 0.1875" x 0.75" and is the same length as the powerscender plate.

I had to round off the edges to make it sit flush between the contoured ridges of the DMM Distels."

It is very simple.

If I remember correctly the screws that hold the spurs onto the spur body are of two lengths. I benefited from purchasing an extra set of spurs so I had an extra set of the longer screws.

You may need or want to purchase slightly longer screws to compensate for the added thickness of the plate.

I've had no problems with my set up.

Last edited:

96coal449

I couldn't figure out a way to make a production version for Bashlins. The shank/gaff design is too odd and a real tight fit.

Drilling into the aluminum shank is definitely an option. You could utilize the upper hole of the gaff and a second bolt through the shank above it
I looked at mine a few times. Seems the gaff has to be seated flush to the shank and the fasteners are indeed odd balls. I still love my Bashlins. Put down many a tree with them.
Mike have the newer Powersenders been updated with better rivets? Got my Powersender last fall.

oldoakman

My bashlins are steel with replaceable gaffs. Poles gaffs currently installed. Don't know if that would make a difference.

treegongfu

My pleasure DSMc.

You have always shown generosity with your great wealth of knowledge.

I hope you go ahead with them. I think you have the means but I was send you some if needed.

The bashlin mount is actually quite simple. I received a powerscender from someone on the buzz, think mark but can't remember now. Took a large drill and chamfered the top hole (I think), which was a pain because of the washer insert. Took the large gaff mount bolt out and installed the ascender on the inside or the shank with a 1/4" longer gaff bolt. Once loaded it locked in against the gaff, I re tightened and it hasn't moved since.
I'll try to get pictures today when they go back in my truck.

oldoakman

You have an old set or is someone still selling them. Haven't seen steelies in years. Only one's I know of now are Bucks and Kleins. I don't remember what the gaff mount on those are like. They may be completely different.
"Old" is relative. Actually Treestuff had a new pair on Luke's Floor not too long ago that I was watching until someone snagged them. I think I got these in the early '90s from the Kuemmerling truck. I need to get a new set of top pads. Seriously thinking about the Big Buck pads. Powerscenders would be a nice addition too.