Potential career ender.

Discussion in 'Training and Health' started by Drewtree, Jul 12, 2016.

1. Drewtree

Drewtree Well-Known Member

So after suffering from some stubborn knee pain for a little while I decided to get it checked out for a diagnosis. Turns out that I have a degenerative condition in my left knee that is causing softening of the cartiledge in the joint. Other than a constant limp, it's causing poor tracking of the patella which causes constant aching pain. Doctor said that with physio to strengthen the joint I can expect to slow the process but within 10 years I will most likely have to call it quits. I'm 28.

Good thing I've been doing so much consulting work recently I suppose. Has anyone had to deal with this sort of thing before? I'm having trouble from a psychological perspective more than anything else.

2. macswan

macswan Well-Known Member

That is a real big bummer

3. Pelorus

Pelorus Well-Known Member

Hey Drew - I noticed an online National Post story today about some new knee brace that sounds interesting. Hope within 10 years your knee can be fixed to go a couple more decades.

excerpt:
    "bionic knee braces from Spring Loaded Technology Ltd.

Company president Chris Cowper-Smith said the device uses a liquid spring technology that absorbs shock and reduces the impact on knees. The brace is made of ultra-high strength reinforced carbon and has integrated knee pad protection.

The brace can allow someone to lift the equivalent of their body weight. However, that is not considered the optimal performance for the device and part of the army’s testing aims to tune the brace to find that right level, Cowper-Smith said.

The brace can assist in lifting while reducing fatigue, he said. “One of the main uses is allowing (soldiers), for example, to go from wearing a 90-pound pack to wearing a 130-pound pack,” he said."

ClimbMIT likes this.
  4. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

Drew, that really sucks. I feel for you. I'm also glad for you. Glad your young enough to be able to adjust your career, and recover your financial income, with which ever choice you make. I'm heading on 46. Been doing roofing and tree work combined for 30 yrs after I was in a major car wreck that hospitalized me. At first I was told I'd never walk again, then I was released 10 days later, on crutches. I still climb now, and roof, but I feel worn out faster and easier. I'm currently looking for a 75' elevator. I can't walk away from how I make a living at this age. I'm invested to far in. You can change your career and rebound. Or even just change what you do in the tree industry. Hey maybe if Sherrill tree doesn't do well with treestuff you could start "ourstuff".
    Good luck man and don't quit the buzz! We wanna keep hearing from ya! :)

5. DSMc

DSMc Well-Known Member

Take a look at what you eat and do some research on health and nutrition. Many, if not most debilitating health problems can be both caused by and corrected by what you eat.

Oroboros, Crimsonking and 96coal449 like this.
  6. 96coal449

This is also true. I can regulate my condition with eating healthy foods, and indulging in antitoxins and greens. Look for foods that are know to relieve arthritis like, black cherries. Eventually it will catch-up to me though.

7. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Don't settle for just one opinion.. Think of it like hiring a tree company for a job. If you have 3 arborist out to look at a tree you may have three different answers. It might be just different approaches to the same problem, some one might know more than the others, or it might be a different deal all together.

8. Drewtree

Good advice, the place I went to is one of the top in the city for this kind of stuff, but a second opinion is always a good idea. It started impacting my climbing ability for the first time last week. Maybe I should get a robo knee.

9. Steve Connally

Steve Connally Well-Known Member

Man. So sorry to hear that! Sending good thoughts your way.

10. GregManning

GregManning Super Moderator Staff Member

Bummer.
    Years ago the cartridge in my big toe gave out.
    I couldn't figure out why my shoes were so uncomfortable !
    Sometimes I'm more than a little "slow" .............

I was walking around with bone-on-bone in my toe joint.
    They cut my first metatarsal in 2 places, then fused everything together with 3 titanium screws.

Can't do that with a knee. Good Luck !

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  11. LimbLoppa

LimbLoppa Well-Known Member

Ok......time to be the tough uncle.........DUDE-YOU'RE FUCKING 28! Know what causes softening cartilage in the knee and a slight limp? DOING TREE WORK! I'm not trying to bust ur balls Bro- we all hurt from time to time. Shit, sometimes I'm embarrassed at my limp, but know what......I earned that shit! Limp or not, I could leave most folks half my age in a crumpled pile-fighting or working! Don't get down - get up! Eat right , train, take glucosamine, eat a fucking shark....whatever! Life is what you make it. How are you gonna take another dude's opinion about you as gospel? Need I remind you......opinions are like assholes....everyone has one and some of them stink!

Frax, New2trees, ClimbMIT and 4 others like this.
  12. Drewtree

I'm getting that put on a t-shirt. "Eat a fucking shark". That might be the best motivational speech I've ever heard. You sir just got me out of my funk.

TimBr, ClimbMIT, LimbLoppa and 5 others like this.
  13. LimbLoppa

LimbLoppa Well-Known Member

No need to be in a funk- Every time a Dr. has told me I'm through - guess what fuckers...........I'm baaaaaaaaaaccccckkk! I will not die willingly......I will fight it every step of the way........I WILL BE A DIRTY OLD MAN-ok, I am a dirty old man, but still, my point is -YOU,and only YOU will ultimately control your destiny -MILK LIFE FOR ALL IT'S WORTH!

14. Oroboros

Oroboros Well-Known Member

Plus one on the diet angle. See a naturopath and a natural nutritionist.
    Sugar wheat dairy meat could all be contributing factors.

15. Frax

Frax Well-Known Member

Expat now in Chapel Hill, NC by way of Calgary, Al
    Don't put too much stock in doctors predictions. They have little experience with the outcomes for people in our business.

16. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

When I discussed the pain I get in my ankle, my doctors told me that I might have to change careers. I asked them to what? I have pain when I walk, run, stand around too long, etc… So what career should I look at? Should I stop walking?

Adjust, strengthen the muscles, address your dietary intake, rest and all the rest. Move up in your career, like doing more consulting, not because of your knee but because it's the best use of your talents!

Frax, LimbLoppa and 96coal449 like this.
  17. 96coal449

Doctors seem to think they know everything about the human body but they forget what the mind can do....
    along with eating healthy, one can overcome almost anything.

New2trees and LimbLoppa like this.
  18. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

You can overcome but, the body might not.

19. New2trees

New2trees Member

I had a different issue about the same age (I am 62 now). I was a car mechanic and ruptured my l3-l4 and compressed l4-l5 severely, at one point they wanted to fuse everything between L3-L5 which basically would have meant I would be a stick man and no more working as a mechanic. Well I said the hell with the surgery and after about 6 months tried working again but pain was pretty constant.....all I had ever done since I was 16 was work on cars and was a certified master tech when this happened. Well it took about 5 yrs but over time my back got better and I switched to construction management and then computer work. About 15yrs ago I lost my job doing computer work, decided to get back into good physical shape (was fat by then) and at 54 switched to repairing fitness equipment. At 62 when we do moves, I can still pick up my half of a treadmill when needed (they weigh about 450lbs) and routinely lift the back end of them to move them around for service...so my point is that things will pass and a lot of injuries that seem debilitating at the time will heal themselves if you give them a chance

Frax, TimBr, 96coal449 and 3 others like this.
  20. 96coal449

I don't believe in all the hype in our medical industry. I'm staying away from a hip replacement. Been hangin' since '92 with my injury. Been feeling it for the past 15yrs, but I press on. I don't want any more surgeries.

New2trees likes this.