posting pictures

russelltree

Hello,
I'm hoping to get a little information from someone about posting dial-up friendly pictures. I've got a digital camera and it takes great photos, but they are huge files and they take a long time to load. Is there any hard and fast rules for resizing photos before posting them?
Thanks for the help, Russell.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
What I've found is that setting the resolution to 72 pixels and the longer dimension to around 900 pixels gives decent quality and good size.

Take some time to crop the pic before you scale it. No need to show extra info.

A couple of months ago I bought an HP printer from Costco. It came with software to file the pics and do some editing. So far, this is the easiest printer software that I've ever used.

tophopper

My camera has 3 quality level settings. On the lowest setting, which i usually use, the file uploads at this size without any editing.

Is it too much for dial uppers?

Attachments

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
[ QUOTE ]
Is it too much for dial uppers?

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, it is. I like to see a pour that comes a little closer to the top of the glass. With a little more practice, you'll leave a nice head on the glass. Since we help ourselves to the tap at the Treebuzz Cafe though, your job is secure :)

Is that Johnny Brew? What do you have in the three batches? Maybe this should go into a new thread :0

The pic snapped right up for me. Good size and quality. 640x480 pixels.

When I take pics I use the highest quality setting. Then I edit later depending on what medium I'll use the pic.

tophopper

yea them xtra tall glasses!!

I should use the higher quality setting and edit accordingly. I just dont like doing all the editing and resizing and such.

davespencer

better to have to edit than one day take the most amazing shot of your life and not be able to do anything with it but show it off on the net due to low res.

Dave

R_Schra

[ QUOTE ]
better to have to edit than one day take the most amazing shot of your life and not be able to do anything with it but show it off on the net due to low res.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

Darn, i know i have to make my pics in 12 megapixel RAW /forum/images/graemlins/ahhhhh.gif. But its so hard to convert and edit 50 pictures of 20-25Mb each..... /forum/images/graemlins/mad.gif So i take normal jpeg format at highest resolution (6 megapixel) and those (up to 200) are still 4-5 Mb each /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Resizing those is simple in paint or photoshop. /forum/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

davespencer

I have mentioned this before on tree buzz but if you are running win xp there is a little trick you can do to resize one or many photos.

go to the folder your photos are in

select all the photos you want to reduce (as many as you want)

right click on one and on the pop up menu, select "send to" and "mail recipient"

windows will ask if you want to make the pictures smaller so say yes, there are some size options in "advanced options" but the default is perfect for web viewing.

mail the small pictures to yourself! even on dialup this should not take long because the files are now very small. 4 megs into 50 kb each!

I am sure that the pictures can also be found in some temp folder but it is so quick, I just mail them to myself.

Dave

R_Schra

That works good, Good tip.

But no need to send the pictures!!!!(and making phone cost on a 56K modem)

When selecting the pictures (shift 1-10 selects all 10, ctrl selects only the picture klicked at while keeping ctrl pressed) and make them send by that XP e-mail mode the pictures appeares in a blank e-mail. Just select a picture in that email (under attachments) and rightclick and open it. It opens in windows viewer and then you can save it.

R
o
n
a
l
d